Paper !!!!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1442109993.671308.jpg

I still have a clipboard in my locker and two pads of delivery records. The older records you could record fifty packages on a page.

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 53809

I still have a clipboard in my locker and two pads of delivery records. The older records you could record fifty packages on a page.

When I cleaned my locker out after 30 years it was like opening up a time capsule. Lots of safe driving pins and Founders Day trinkets and a few old warning letters I saved because they were fun to show to people who wouldn't or couldn't believe the reason you got one.

Ring Sport

I remember those days. And pulling the next day air and second day labels and writing your delivery time on the back. Counting all your stops and packages for each area number at the end of the day. When DIAD first come out they would crash if you put too many stops in them. The old days was when it was fun. Having to do a forced DVA send and transmitting over the phone.

Last edited:
O

OLDMAN3

Anyone else sheet while walking with the paper records above your head (writing looking straight up) to avoid getting the paper wet? Look before you step!

I went around one side of a house to DR at the Back Door. I realized after delivering that going around the other side of the house was a shorter walk, and both sides had sidewalks. I was booking back to the truck because it was raining, sheeting above my head...

Never saw the room air conditioner sticking out of the side window till I was flat on my back, bleeding like a stuck pig.
I know the meaning of being clothes-lined.:knockedout:

Last edited by a moderator:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Paper .
I was an exception air driver .
Meaning any inbound misloaded airs were mine to do . Going to different cities within my state and many times to different states to complete the stop . Been to RI , NH, VT , & ME thankfully not all on the same day .
I miss that job . Being paid to explore different areas . I had quite a collection of maps .
Back then If I had to ask someone for an address I would ask a fireman first , then a cop , and then anyone .
For one stop a local fireman gave me life saving instruction detailing just how to enter this property and to which house to stop at .
Seems they had a Hatfield & McCoy situation going on .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How about being short on stops and adding a few JC Penney 323-999 DR-FD. Not that I ever did that, but I heard rumors.

474-007 sticks in my head. May have been Lands End.

The internet was not even born yet. No Amazon, Walmart.com, etc.

It was all catalog and TV (QVC). Residential stops barely existed compared to today.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Worked in Delivery Information. Customer would call to verify delivery on a stop that had several hundred packages a day. Almost went blind going through page after page of each day of records looking for the package for that stop. By Friday evening, my eyes were bloodshot. Guess I was lucky they didn't accuse of being a drunk. Was glad when I had enough seniority to bid off of that position. Luckily, still do not wear glasses.

rod

Retired 22 years
Aldens, Sears, J C Penny, Fingerhut, Lands End filled the trucks. We knew something was up when all of a sudden out trucks were filled with cow boxes.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I was in the 9th grade.

I was in the 4th grade when you started.

This topic is a good one as it begs the question; "How many of our ole' timers could do what we do today?" And vice versa.

I've heard stories of drivers going 30 miles off route for lunch. 300 mile runs with 35 stops. All without EDD. (something I couldn't even imagine)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was in the 4th grade when you started.

This topic is a good one as it begs the question; "How many of our ole' timers could do what we do today?" And vice versa.

I've heard stories of drivers going 30 miles off route for lunch. 300 mile runs with 35 stops. All without EDD. (something I couldn't even imagine)

None of the old timers that were here when I started could have handled today's pace.