Peak Dispatching: Pathetic

BrownArmy

If there were guaranteed 40 hour weeks, as there should be (instead of this mandatory 50-60 hour week nonsense), it'd be a good if not great job.

This...

If I could punch out at 1800 every night, working in Package would be the best job in the Universe.

As it is, the 50-58 hour weeks are quite...grinding, and Peak hasn't really hit here yet (even though it's been 'Peak' for a few years now).

I've got 5 years in, no way I can last another 25...

Indecisi0n

Helper and I drive into a development of about 200 condos. We deliver 2 stops and I head out. He turns and asks "there are only 2 stops in this entire development?" I laugh and say nope. He looks puzzled and asks "then why we leaving?" Because the driver on the other route has the other 30. Even he shakes his head in disbelief.

FilingBluesFL

Helper and I drive into a development of about 200 condos. We deliver 2 stops and I head out. He turns and asks "there are only 2 stops in this entire development?" I laugh and say nope. He looks puzzled and asks "then why we leaving?" Because the driver on the other route has the other 30. Even he shakes his head in disbelief.

Sharing is caring, brother.

Marne Vet

What, doesn't everyone get a 1-5 stop split daily because we "need" the stops? *sigh* This happens all the time, and when you point it out the dispatcher tells you the same thing: "When I planned the add/cut I was going by what that area usually does...", and then I always ask "Yet you never follow-up with the dispatches to see if these splits are even worth moving..." :/ A never-ending pointless argument.

oldngray

nowhere special
What, doesn't everyone get a 1-5 stop split daily because we "need" the stops? *sigh* This happens all the time, and when you point it out the dispatcher tells you the same thing: "When I planned the add/cut I was going by what that area usually does...", and then I always ask "Yet you never follow-up with the dispatches to see if these splits are even worth moving..." :/ A never-ending pointless argument.

They have to meet that stops per car metric even if you end up driving miles for 1 or 2 stops. If I saw that on my car I would usually just trade a couple of stops with the route next to me so it made slightly more sense. I wouldn't waste time arguing with PDS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They have to meet that stops per car metric even if you end up driving miles for 1 or 2 stops. If I saw that on my car I would usually just trade a couple of stops with the route next to me so it made slightly more sense. I wouldn't waste time arguing with PDS.

This is what a few of our guys who deliver outside of the city do.

Indecisi0n

There is more to life than money.

Not Monday through Friday. UPS has trained me to never make plans Monday through Friday so their brain washing tactics are back firing. Now that I am use to working all night during the week I am now use to it and don't mind staying out and making a few extra bucks.

screamin chicken

This is my nightmare, FT sup that comes in on Preload to do the dispatching, this allows him to go home by 1-2, while the other FT sup stays until 4-5. Now the first sup that dispatches is making himself look good by cutting routes (all year) and is still doing it during peak. Then using the 2-3 drivers that he cut there routes as helpers, for 2-4 hrs. He also sent 3 divers out an hr away to deliver the same stops, he takes the residential s off of one route and adds it to another route which increases mileage. I have been doing 200 plus stops for 2 weeks already, and the last 2 night without any helper....

Nimnim

The Nim
This is my nightmare, FT sup that comes in on Preload to
do the dispatching, this allows him to go home by 1-2, while the other FT sup stays until 4-5. Now the first sup that dispatches is making himself look good by cutting routes (all year) and is still doing it during peak. Then using the 2-3 drivers that he cut there routes as helpers, for 2-4 hrs. He also sent 3 divers out an hr away to deliver the same stops, he takes the residential s off of one route and adds it to another route which increases mileage. I have been doing 200 plus stops for 2 weeks already, and the last 2 night without any helper....

Any driver being sent out as a helper should be demanding their 8 and getting driver rate the whole time. That'll help cause a stir that might put a route or two back in.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Pathetic. If only this holiday would happen on the same day(25) and the same month(dec) every yr, we could then plan. No word other than pathetic planning.

FilingBluesFL

Why fix their problem? I use to say something to dispatch but its pretty clear he doesn't care so either do I. Paid per hour right? Thank you.

Agreed.

And "self dispatching" is frowned upon. Could it be a terminable offense? Possibly.

Failure to follow instructions, self dispatching, refusing to do work...

Sounds like a walk off the property to me.

oldupsman

Not Monday through Friday. UPS has trained me to never make plans Monday through Friday so their brain washing tactics are back firing. Now that I am use to working all night during the week I am now use to it and don't mind staying out and making a few extra bucks.

I used that theory my entire time at UPS. It takes a good woman at home and kids that understand. But if you have that,
working late becomes easy.