Prototype Trucks, where are they now?

JL 0513

We don't have any alternative fuel PC's up here in New England. At least I haven't seen any. I figured they were reserved for California.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was driving one of these on and off for a while. They smelled of terrible plastic out of the factory. The mirrors are weird. As was said, they do handle pretty well and the acceleration is quite delayed. Not much power.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've seen some funky looking Fedex trucks recently. I'm not sure if they were Isuzus or not but the interiors actually looked fully furnished. It looked pretty comfortable and quiet by comparison. I know A/C would be too much to ask but it made me wonder if it had a radio in it.

reydluap

I'd like to take a moment and add my 2 cents to this conversation. In my 38 years at UPS, I've driven just about every model and size of delivery vehicle imaginable. Fords, Chevys, Dodge, International, Freightliner, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter package cars and GMC Astro CEO, Diamond Reo, Mack and Sterling tractors.

I only point this out so the retirees reading this post can understand where I'm coming from. I'm sure Senior delivery drivers and retirees remember the old cold, drafty, hard steering, no power brakes, vacuum wipers, narrow bulk head doors, HIGH SIDE/REAR STEPS with no grab handles to help enter the vehicle and even wood shelves. And lets not forget the headlights that were so dim and vibrated in the fiberglass hood so bad you couldn't see 20 feet in front of you. With all due respect to these mature and retired drivers and what was provided to them to work with, I'll share my opinion.

I'm now a 22.3 driver that shuttles NDA pkgs nightly a couple hundred miles round trip to the airport. I'm BLESSED to drive one of these ugly new REACH plastic package cars. It's SO MUCH easier working out of this package car than ANY other piece of equipment UPS has EVER provided me. It is kind of sluggish from a stop sign but it cruises at highway speed just fine. Handles great, Auto Trans, Smoooooth ride, tight turning radius, Wipers that actually clear a large windshield. A HEATER/DEFROSTER that you actually have to turn down the controls in the Winter time (imagine that!!? HEAT!!). Then there's easy access from side/rear with ultra low steps. The back door opens the full width of the rear cargo area and all four shelves fold up against the wall. The shelves are mounted lower so you're not reaching over your head guessing if your going to get thumped by another loose package. The super bright headlights light up the highway and ditches so you can actually see from fence line to fence line for hazards. I average 15.2 MPG.

So as I read the post here in this thread, I just don't know if fellow drivers are so spoiled that the can't see how nice these new vehicles are or if I'm just so appreciative in all of the improvements these vehicles provide. What ever it is, I personally LIKE my plastic truck.

For the buildings that are leaving these package cars just sit, what a waste............

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434340189.316445.jpg

I used to be an air driver before FT xfer, I hated driving those Isuzu's. The cargo area is very tight the acceleration is slower than normal, the rear door is a pain in the @ss to close, the plastic construction of the body smells god awful, basically no cup holder, the drivers seat only positions 4-ways no tilt forward or backward, no circulation vent for your legs, cab area is just tight in general, mirrors are oddly placed; drivers side is low and the passenger side is way up high creating a blind spot, 4way switch is located on the dash directly next to start/stop which is located directly above non-fictional cup holder so even if you stuff the cup holder with napkins to make it usable the cup or mug would constantly activate flashers. There are 2 good things about them though; the parking brake is located right next to steering wheel so you don't have to reach down to grab the brake and the turning radius is extremely tight, allowing for some nice uturns sans having to back.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I used to be an air driver before FT xfer, I hated driving those Isuzu's. The cargo area is very tight the acceleration is slower than normal, the rear door is a pain in the @ss to close, the plastic construction of the body smells god awful, basically no cup holder, the drivers seat only positions 4-ways no tilt forward or backward, no circulation vent for your legs, cab area is just tight in general, mirrors are oddly placed; drivers side is low and the passenger side is way up high creating a blind spot, 4way switch is located on the dash directly next to start/stop which is located directly above non-fictional cup holder so even if you stuff the cup holder with napkins to make it usable the cup or mug would constantly activate flashers. There are 2 good things about them though; the parking brake is located right next to steering wheel so you don't have to reach down to grab the brake and the turning radius is extremely tight, allowing for some nice uturns sans having to back.
I would love to hear your reaction to a vintage POS 600.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Though I wouldn't consider them prototypes, MDC keeps sending fliers in our parts about some new cars equipped with Ford V10's. Hope we don't get any of those.

reydluap

EAM, I'll reply to your post.

A taller and broad shouldered person could find this REACH pkg car cumbersome to work in. Like I stated before, this vehicle will never burn rubber from a stop sign. (So the retirees can compare, it's like the old carbureted Chevy 292 inline 6 cylinder with a 5 speed trans in a P1000. Ahhhh, Now you get it LOL!)

You do know the shelves fold up out of the way as you empty them giving you more room?

As for the back door, write it up on the DVR, the mechanic can "lube" the door runners.

The smell goes away with time.

The cup holder can handle just about anything you want to drink out of. ( retirees, remember your cup holders....NONE unless you fabricated something yourself.)

Do you know how to operate the seat?? Mine adjust for a number of seat heights, forward/back, tilts any way you can imagine and has lumbar support and I drive a 669xxx series.

quote: "no circulation vent for your legs", do you see those circular vents on both sides of the steering wheel? On the dash are the switches that turns on the fan that blows air through those vents. So air is moving even if you are sitting at a stop sign.

I've never had a problem with the mirrors.

I'll still say from my experience, these are a nice vehicle. It's not built for the young runners and gunners that think they have to ram around the roadways. They are built for a seasoned professional driver that uses his head to deliver and not his muscles. (Retirees, I know you will understand that comment.)