Putting in My Letter of Intent

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Ya I heard they give some situations and want to know how you handle them among other things. Like two employees fighting and a belt breaking down than receiving a call from upper management all pretty much at the same time. So you need separate the employees first then answer the phone where you find out they want a report within the hour. So then you go back and send the two employees home to be dealt with tomorrow then delegate someone to make sure the belt gets fixed and go and do the report that is needed.
Yep. It's all about how you strategize. I loved the thinking involved. But the group of people you are talking with just makes it different. You've been around long enough to where that will be a breeze though. Especially with on road related scenarios. The hardest part is just the employee to employee related scenarios. Experience with dealing with those types of situations helps. Just pay attention. If you talk with your center manager he may run you through scenarios that could be happening in your building at that time and test you out.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Anyone know where I can find a sample Letter of intent. One of my ORS is suppose be getting me his. Already got my Resume tweaked and finished.
I don't have mine on my personal computer. I can look and see if it is still in my file on the server at work tomorrow.

10 point

Good for you.
I was punching my diad out one day when a ft supe addressed that exact issue with a driver.

I think the driver got his mind right afterward.

The stupid things people do to make simple instructions a problem always amazes me. It's harder to break the rules (unless you're just a rule breaker at heart) than it is to consciously adhere to them. If you care.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I was punching my diad out one day when a ft supe addressed that exact issue with a driver.

I think the driver got his mind right afterward.

The stupid things people do to make simple instructions a problem always amazes me. It's harder to break the rules (unless you're just a rule breaker at heart) than it is to consciously adhere to them. If you care.
I think people are just in such a rush to go home (I mean who can blame them?) that they just forget. It's not a good excuse. But I try to understand the human element behind decisions instead of just looking at them all as being malicious intent.

UPSGUY72

I don't have mine on my personal computer. I can look and see if it is still in my file on the server at work tomorrow.

Thanks. MY center manager looked on his computer at work and could find one and one Of MY ORS was suppose to be looking this weekend. I'll have to hit him up again today.

10 point

I think people are just in such a rush to go home (I mean who can blame them?) that they just forget. It's not a good excuse. But I try to understand the human element behind decisions instead of just looking at them all as being malicious intent.
Sometimes, "Bonus" or qualifying comes in to play.

Funny thing is that they are working off the clock anyway if they punch out upon rtb.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Thanks. MY center manager looked on his computer at work and could find one and one Of MY ORS was suppose to be looking this weekend. I'll have to hit him up again today.
Try not to overthink it. If they know you want to be a supervisor, the rest can be pretty informal. I thought going from PT management to FT management would be a lot more structured and technical. But it really wasn't. The formal part is just the panel. The MRE I came in one day and just did. All they really care about is the fact you've shown an interest.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes and no. Bonus can come into play rushing off the clock. But your bonus would be higher if your return to building is earlier.

Not that the 3 minutes would affect your bonus much anyways.

I'm thinking that in your building the drivers (for one reason or another) just RTB and then punch out.

We had on-site gas pumps, so we all just hit RTB at the pump, and then punched out after check-in (just as we put the DIAD into the rack).

10 point

Yes and no. Bonus can come into play rushing off the clock. But your bonus would be higher if your return to building is earlier.

Not that the 3 minutes would affect your bonus much anyways.
It depends on if the driver punched out upon rtb and worked off the clock to falsify his daily recap report or if they logged rtb upon finishing all the tasks assigned including all the edd tasks and punched out with rtb exact time.

There's no way I can do all if those EOD tasks in three minutes including a PROPER post trip. The system used to give us about six minutes....I was told. That's even bogus unless the clerk, air, hazmat, surepost, high value pieces add to that.
I'm not holding not breath in anticipation for that not to be skewed too.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm thinking that in your building the drivers (for one reason or another) just RTB and then punch out.

We had on-site gas pumps, so we all just hit RTB at the pump, and then punched out after check-in (just as we put the DIAD into the rack).
Well another thing that comes into play is how damn small we are. I don't know how it is at other buildings. But most of our guys can back in, have their stuff collected, have their DIAD in the rack, and be sitting in their car in 3 minutes without even trying.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It depends on if the driver punched out upon rtb and worked off the clock to falsify his daily recap report or if they logged rtb upon finishing all the tasks assigned including all the edd tasks and punched out with rtb exact time.

There's no way I can do all if those EOD tasks in three minutes including a PROPER post trip. The system used to give us about six minutes....I was told. That's even bogus unless the clerk, air, hazmat, surepost, high value pieces add to that.

As I remember, we had something like nine minutes in the morning and six minutes at night building time.

Did I care? Nope, leave and return/punch out times were what they were. Never had a problem.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Well another thing that comes into play is how damn small we are. I don't know how it is at other buildings. But most of our guys can back in, have their stuff collected, have their DIAD in the rack, and be sitting in their car in 3 minutes without even trying.

We were smallish, 50-60 trips on average, but we fueled on-site.

Do you?

10 point

Ya I heard they give some situations and want to know how you handle them among other things. Like two employees fighting and a belt breaking down than receiving a call from upper management all pretty much at the same time. So you need separate the employees first then answer the phone where you find out they want a report within the hour. So then you go back and send the two employees home to be dealt with tomorrow then delegate someone to make sure the belt gets fixed and go and do the report that is needed.
Wouldn't it have streamlined the operation to get one of the employees who was fighting to answer the phone and that would've freed you up to fix the belt issue, it would have stopped the fight, and your boss probably wouldn't call back after the angry hourly got off the phone with him.

Life is good.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

I keep an eye on it and all guys are punching out when they get to the DIAD rack. I'm a big proponent of the don't work for free principle.

Our guys are allotted 3 minutes from return to building to punch out. Which isn't terribly difficult to do. We MIGHT do 130 air pieces a night. The air driver usually meets the package car drivers at their car and collects those along with high values and hazmats. Everything else gets handled by the local sorters.

10 point

As I remember, we had something like nine minutes in the morning and six minutes at night building time.

Did I care? Nope, leave and return/punch out times were what they were. Never had a problem.
That's exactly what we were told too.

Nine minutes am time. Lol
Only works when a DM is visiting the building.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our guys are allotted 3 minutes from return to building to punch out. Which isn't terribly difficult to do. We MIGHT do 130 air pieces a night. The air driver usually meets the package car drivers at their car and collects those along with high values and hazmats. Everything else gets handled by the local sorters.

LMFAO! I ran a route for a year that brought back twice that on an average day!