Putting in My Letter of Intent

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more. Luke 12:48
Cool Hand Luke
That was a good movie

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Gas at the building, diesel in town.

They don't park their own vehicles, just back them in for unload. Local sort takes it from there. We don't require guys to hand in fuel receipts since they have fleet cards. Fuel logging is all on the DIAD and we pull it from DCS. Don't have to hand in recovery packages, local sort is trained to grab and sort what packages need to go where, call tags don't need to be signed off here, service cross is sufficient, and high value sheets get placed in a box in the office.

I'm not saying it's not that hard because I'm management and I'm looking out for my numbers. I'm saying it because we are so small that it actually isn't that hard. A lot of the things you mentioned most guys don't even deal with on a daily basis. A majority of our routes are rural. Guys might do a call tag or two out of town a day. Most of those guys have 4 or 5 pick up pieces if they even have any. And we get maybe 2 high values in the whole center a day. In town guys the routine gets a little more challenging because they're bringing back 500 pieces at a time. But even then, there isn't much that has to get done when they get back.
Spoken like a true sup.. You're going places kid;)

Coldworld

60 months and counting
wonder if we can get this thread to 100 pages by Friday ...might be a record except for the thread that upstate had informing us he was "leaving" but I don't remember If it was the first time or second that set the post record??

oldandcrabby

That's a terrifying promise.
But a promise nonetheless.

Prepare for wall of text!

This how my husband views driving for UPS.

The positives: An hourly wage you can live on not even at top rate of pay, fully paid benefits, minimal deductible and co-pays, pension, stock options, 401k.

The negatives: Micromanaged, high stress, hard work, long hours, and then the drama UPS puts into play on top of all that.

So if you don't like it try going someplace else and see that for less hourly, less benefits, high insurance premiums, high deductibles, high co-pays, first hired first fired, and still high stress and micromanaged to death.
The only positive: Not as hard of work only because of less work volume.

When anyone from hub people to drivers to management you need to look real hard and remember to whom much is given much is required and also count the cost. Life will always be hard as we all have to take the good with the bad and the rain will fall on the just and the unjust.
My Bible is just basic instructions before leaving earth. I apologize for the length of this but this is what needs to be said to anyone contemplating a major life change.

oldandcrabby

I need to whine a little bit.
We thought we were all prepared for peak son goes to get new tires put on his Jeep for winter mechanic calls me as son is at work double shifting and says to me he has a rear differential problem 750.00 to crack it open and look at it. I say to dealership no it has lifetime warranty we need to get a hold of them and see if you are authorized dealership of course not so had to take Jeep to correct dealership and it has been in the shop since before Thanksgiving. Husband is on his way home from work and his Jeep interior lights start turning on and cutting out so his Jeep is in the shop trying to find where it is shorting out at.

Now we are down two vehicles and in a rental until son's Jeep is fixed and I am driving them both to work in the morning and then I will pick husband up after he is done working.

The good news in all of that is Lifetime warranty will cover son's Jeep repair to the tune of anywhere between $2500.00-$ 4000.00 and co worker offered to bring son home from work as long as needed. We have to eat cost of rental car for almost three weeks. It is 2013 peak all over again with vehicles in the shop.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We thought we were all prepared for peak son goes to get new tires put on his Jeep for winter mechanic calls me as son is at work double shifting and says to me he has a rear differential problem 750.00 to crack it open and look at it. I say to dealership no it has lifetime warranty we need to get a hold of them and see if you are authorized dealership of course not so had to take Jeep to correct dealership and it has been in the shop since before Thanksgiving. Husband is on his way home from work and his Jeep interior lights start turning on and cutting out so his Jeep is in the shop trying to find where it is shorting out at.

Now we are down two vehicles and in a rental until son's Jeep is fixed and I am driving them both to work in the morning and then I will pick husband up after he is done working.

The good news in all of that is Lifetime warranty will cover son's Jeep repair to the tune of anywhere between $2500.00-$ 4000.00 and co worker offered to bring son home from work as long as needed. We have to eat cost of rental car for almost three weeks. It is 2013 peak all over again with vehicles in the shop.
I'm sorry but look on the bright side.
All three of you are still together as a family.
And hopefully enjoying good health.

OK, silver lining speech over.

oldandcrabby

I'm sorry but look on the bright side.
All three of you are still together as a family.
And hopefully enjoying good health.

OK, silver lining speech over.

I included the silver lining in my post.

All repairs will be paid for and a co-worker of my son has so kindly volunteered to bring him home every night as long as it takes to fix the vehicle. I know a young man who will get extra Christmas treats from me this peak.

I just had to get the whine out of my system. We were dealing with vehicle problems at the beginning peak of 2013 and we all know how rough that peak was so it may be a repeat performance. I hope not as i only have to transport husband and son to work not do the job that you all have to do or did before retirement. I really liked how 2014 peak went.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

#Heepproblems

oldandcrabby

Hubby called me at 6:00pm and told me a late night tonight he still had 100+ stops left and no helper. If they keep this up he will be at max hours on Thurs. evening. I wonder what they will do with him on Friday if he is maxed out?

UPSGUY72

Hubby called me at 6:00pm and told me a late night tonight he still had 100+ stops left and no helper. If they keep this up he will be at max hours on Thurs. evening. I wonder what they will do with him on Friday if he is maxed out?

He can't work more than 60 hrs and week be it driving 1 hr or sitting behind a desk 59. Also it's not possible to be max out after 4 days as you can only work 14 hrs a day and 4 X 14 = 56. Once he reaches 60 hrs he is done working in any capacity until he does his 34 hr reset..

oldandcrabby

#Heepproblems

Yeah I think so son tells me he wants Jeep repaired and take put down payment on new Nissan and get upsers discount. He was hoping to be thru most of peak.

Husband isn't quite ready to play taps for his Jeep yet. He still says solid vehicle and got him through to and from the airport hub during 2010 blizzard.