Question about seniority for sorters

Sometimes in my hub sorters are asked to unload. If they ask me to unload one day, can i bump a less seniority employee to the unload?

Also, if one day i want to unload, can i use my seniority to call dibs?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You definitely seem like one of the weird old :censored2:s in my building that spent a good majority of their life moving boxes, and are miserable. So sorry.

You have some learning to do, sonny.

Inside the building you will work where you are told to work and you will like it.

Undertow82

Sometimes in my hub sorters are asked to unload. If they ask me to unload one day, can i bump a less seniority employee to the unload?

I'd rather unload 15 trucks then sort, and bust bags all day.....

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

That is a question you need to ask your shop steward in your hub. There a subtle differences in seniority language between the different Contract Supplements/Riders, that makes a big difference in how that question is answered. Also, what is the agreed-on practice for your hub.

Another question to ask your steward is what do you get paid for unloading? Around here: if they ask you to unload, you keep the sort pay; if you ask them to assign you to unload, they don't have to pay you the sorter premium.

If you don't have easy access to a shop steward, call your Local Union's office and ask the Business Agent for your hub.

Most importantly, have you heard of the "Work now, Grieve later" rule?

That is a question you need to ask your shop steward in your hub. There a subtle differences in seniority language between the different Contract Supplements/Riders, that makes a big difference in how that question is answered. Also, what is the agreed-on practice for your hub.

Another question to ask your steward is what do you get paid for unloading? Around here: if they ask you to unload, you keep the sort pay; if you ask them to assign you to unload, they don't have to pay you the sorter premium.

If you don't have easy access to a shop steward, call your Local Union's office and ask the Business Agent for your hub.

Most importantly, have you heard of the "Work now, Grieve later" rule?
THANK YOU!

Arch

I'd rather unload 15 trucks then sort, and bust bags all day.....
Sorting is easy. Everything come to you at your power zone. So all you have to do is pick it up off the belt and toss it somewhere. No need bend down all the time and deal with hot trailers in the summer.

I personally would never unload, unless it's a very cold night.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
In my building we could do exactly like you said: use seniority to bump a lower seniority person to unload. As a matter of fact, the supervisor knew the seniority order and would automatically ask the lower guys to go down to unload first. Also we could also volunteer to go down to unload for a day and still get paid sort rate. I used to do that same thing myself, as some days I felt like getting a little workout (and blowing out a lazy sorter in the process lol).

Undertow82

Sorting is easy. Everything come to you at your power zone. So all you have to do is pick it up off the belt and toss it somewhere. No need bend down all the time and deal with hot trailers in the summer.

I personally would never unload, unless it's a very cold night.

Nothing is at my power zone when sorting. The belt is right below my balls so I'm constantly bending over. At least in a truck I can stand straight periodically.