Questions about driving

evilleace

Hi I just started working at ups a few months ago and I really want a driving job when I turn 21 I was wondering if someone could tell me how I go about getting a driving job what they are looking for and also how long the process could take and how exactly they choose drivers? Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hi I just started working at ups a few months ago and I really want a driving job when I turn 21 I was wondering if someone could tell me how I go about getting a driving job what they are looking for and also how long the process could take and how exactly they choose drivers? Thanks

You will notice a Search Brown Cafe link to the left side of the homepage. You should try it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Learn the DIAD;
Turn 21,
take a driving test & pass it,
go to driver's school,
work Saturdays to learn the basics of a driver's job,
over time learn several different routes ( this is extremely important...the more area knowledge one has increases your survival chances )

every time a friend/t driver's job, or combo job is posted sign up.

finaddict

CementUPS stated the facts, 1989 repeated it and I endorse it. It's all about seniority. You are young. Take your licks, climb the ladder and enjoy an early union retirement if you so choose.

evilleace

thanks for all the replies as for doing saturday air work is there a bid list for that also and do I have to go to driving school first before I do that? Also do they hire a lot of saturday air drivers I work in a small building probably put out 40-55 routes a day. thanks

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Definition - Bank - Noun - The place I am laughing all the way to.

To the original poster - The cliche "good things come to those who wait" appears to be the motto to most here. And if you want to wait, feel free to do so.

If you want something, at UPS, in life, you go after it. Hard. Let every person who is wearing a suit know you want to be a driver. Tell them you want to drive saturday air. Tell them you want to go to integrad. Tell them every day. Twice a day. Make the HR Manager's office your second home.

Now, if you are a schlub, a slacker, a below-average performer at what you are doing, then I don't know. Excell at everything you do, for yourself to be noticed in a positive way, and you will drive sooner.

I'm at UPS just over 3 months, thank GOD I didn't take to heart the "set in stone" attitude that prevails here. I'm driving, and I love it. Can't believe I'm getting paid what I am to do such an easy, enjoyable job.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
No insult meant on the "easy job" comment. I know for myself, I believe the unloading job should start at $20 / hour, and driver at $8.50. Unloading is pure hell hard labor. Driving is like taking a nap compared to unloading.

cino321

No insult meant on the "easy job" comment. I know for myself, I believe the unloading job should start at $20 / hour, and driver at $8.50. Unloading is pure hell hard labor. Driving is like taking a nap compared to unloading.

Unloading is brainless. Try preloading before PAS like we used to have to do, that's hard work. I'm a driver now, and that was one of the hardest jobs at UPS back in the day.

hyena

thanks for all the replies as for doing saturday air work is there a bid list for that also and do I have to go to driving school first before I do that? Also do they hire a lot of saturday air drivers I work in a small building probably put out 40-55 routes a day. thanks
Ive been a saturday air driver for almost two years now about to hit top rate! They've never sent me to school. I was told you go to school right before you start qualifying for full time. Definitly do saturdays or at least some kind of air driving before you go full time. If you get the chance, it'll get you used to the diads and the trucks.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...Definitly do saturdays or at least some kind of air driving before you go full time. If you get the chance, it'll get you used to the diads and the trucks.

EXCELLENT advise, I strongly second that!

For Saturday Air, a sup takes you out on the road for 20 minutes to be sure you know which end of the truck is the front, and you need to pass a DOT physical, that's it.