ron paul.

brett636

I'd say its coming time for old Ron Paul to hang up his political hat and call it an election. He has not won a single primary state to date and is not polling high enough to be considered competitive in any upcoming primary state. I'd say he has had a good run as a politician, but now its time to go back to Texas for good.

wkmac

And speaking of Obama keeping promises, seems more and more voters who call themselves liberal/progressive and vote democrat may be starting to rethink Obama and head in another direction based on principles rather than party. Not that the so-called small gov't party is really any such thing to begin with.

Brett,

For the time being, Paul will stay the course because it's about a brokered convention and then all bets are off. If no single candidate can carry on the first ballet, all delegates are then released and then is when it gets real interesting. It's another reason Paul had his people stay at the caucus meetings in Iowa after the vote to become elected delegates for those voting districts and why some pundits who even dislike Paul admitted in the end Paul may end up having won Iowa just on the delegate elections alone. In a brokered convention, which way would you think these people will go not to mention the impact on shaping the party platform? Not that it ever means anything as both parties walk over the platform like they do the Constitution but to just stick it in the party apparatus face is just pure delight anyway.

There are more and more people worried that Paul learned and knows how to work the process and is so doing. I see the 4 in it right now staying put through Super Tuesday and then after that the culling may begin but look for Paul just like in 2008' to stay in all the way to the convention and lock in his delegates.

BTW: Since you are a Cain guy, had Cain not had his troubles, I do think Santorum would be gone, maybe even Gingrich too and this thing would have been a 3 way race between Cain, Paul and Romney.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'd say its coming time for old Ron Paul to hang up his political hat and call it an election. He has not won a single primary state to date and is not polling high enough to be considered competitive in any upcoming primary state. I'd say he has had a good run as a politician, but now its time to go back to Texas for good.

I am hoping that after the SC primary, RON PAUL starts a third party run! That would be the best thing to happen to the GOP in years!

Peace

klein

Für Meno :)
I am hoping that after the SC primary, RON PAUL starts a third party run! That would be the best thing to happen to the GOP in years!

Peace

I would like to agree to that, but I would like to see him do that in the last minute instead. Maybe when Sani drops out ?
Newt and Mitt can hammer it out, while Paul will have safe sailing on his own :)

804brown

And speaking of Obama keeping promises, seems more and more voters who call themselves liberal/progressive and vote democrat may be starting to rethink Obama and head in another direction based on principles rather than party. Not that the so-called small gov't party is really any such thing to begin with.

Brett,

For the time being, Paul will stay the course because it's about a brokered convention and then all bets are off. If no single candidate can carry on the first ballet, all delegates are then released and then is when it gets real interesting. It's another reason Paul had his people stay at the caucus meetings in Iowa after the vote to become elected delegates for those voting districts and why some pundits who even dislike Paul admitted in the end Paul may end up having won Iowa just on the delegate elections alone. In a brokered convention, which way would you think these people will go not to mention the impact on shaping the party platform? Not that it ever means anything as both parties walk over the platform like they do the Constitution but to just stick it in the party apparatus face is just pure delight anyway.

There are more and more people worried that Paul learned and knows how to work the process and is so doing. I see the 4 in it right now staying put through Super Tuesday and then after that the culling may begin but look for Paul just like in 2008' to stay in all the way to the convention and lock in his delegates.

BTW: Since you are a Cain guy, had Cain not had his troubles, I do think Santorum would be gone, maybe even Gingrich too and this thing would have been a 3 way race between Cain, Paul and Romney.

I like the whole libertarian-progressive coalition thing. We dont have to agree on everything. That is what I find with the OWS movement. It is not made up of one ideology' Like I said before, I hope nader runs as a green/OWS party, obama and romney as the two corporate candidates and ron paul as the libertarian. If we had instant run off voting you could vote for either nader or paul and if neither got over 50% your vote goes to your next choice (either obama or romney).

On a lighter note, i bet mark (im hiking)sanford is kicking himself for resigning after his scandal. I mean look how those yahoos at the debate in south carolina dont seem to care about the newt's shananigans. ALL is forgiven!! As long as he makes right with "god"!! LOL Poor mark!!

av8torntn

I'd say you are not seeing the big picture. Don't forget he has a son that can be a viable candidate in the Republican party. I see at least two possible reasons for him to stay in the race. One he can keep his network alive so his son can step in a couple of years from now to run if Obama happens to win this go around. The second and less likely is he can win enough delegates to get his son selected as the number two on a Romney-Paul ticket.

wkmac

I'd say you are not seeing the big picture. Don't forget he has a son that can be a viable candidate in the Republican party. I see at least two possible reasons for him to stay in the race. One he can keep his network alive so his son can step in a couple of years from now to run if Obama happens to win this go around. The second and less likely is he can win enough delegates to get his son selected as the number two on a Romney-Paul ticket.

I think Rand is more a factor to keep Ron from a independent run should he not get the party nod but your point is well worth consideration too.

av8torntn

I think Rand is more a factor to keep Ron from a independent run should he not get the party nod but your point is well worth consideration too.

Yes the Paul campaign has pretty a good nationwide organization but I believe if he started getting serious traction we would see some serious blowback from the establishment. One big obstacle for the establishment is the well known very large ego of a certain Newt and I can see how in a three way race this could play very well for the Paul campaign as he would likely stay in even if the rest of the establishment urged him to drop and support the Romney. At this very early stage it is all really nothing more than a guess on my part but my guess is that the powers that be do not want to see the Newt and the Romney keep attacking each other and are looking for a quick compromise.

bbsam

Staff member
What you mean to say is that its the only chance Obama has at getting re-elected is if Ron Paul runs third party.
I think it would be for politics as a whole. Think past the next four years. Politics in this country is way too big for two parties.

wkmac

Yes the Paul campaign has pretty a good nationwide organization but I believe if he started getting serious traction we would see some serious blowback from the establishment. One big obstacle for the establishment is the well known very large ego of a certain Newt and I can see how in a three way race this could play very well for the Paul campaign as he would likely stay in even if the rest of the establishment urged him to drop and support the Romney. At this very early stage it is all really nothing more than a guess on my part but my guess is that the powers that be do not want to see the Newt and the Romney keep attacking each other and are looking for a quick compromise.

I think Ron is a nightmare scenario for both political parties and I mean that in a good way from my POV. From the republican side if Ron were to get the nomination, it would chase the crony and vulture capitalism money out of the republican party (yes that includes the Kochs who hate Paul's economic ideas, that should speak volumes alone) leaving the more traditional free marketeer advocates to hold the field. The flipside would be that all the money would go to the democrats and Obama plus for once the picture of what pretends to be free market and what is more the real deal would become much, much clearer for all to see. I'd welcome a national debate between Keynesian/Monetarism verses Austrian/free market thought. Rothbard/Mises/Hayek verses Krugman/Friedman/Greenspan, bring it on as I love the odds! Add to that, the democrats would be forced to explain to the OWS folks how come it's getting all the 1% money while claiming to break bread with the 99%.

Ron owns the antiwar position so this one area Obama can't use like he did in 08' and in some sense this forces Obama again to the right which some on the left are not going to like. The democrats have under completely false illusions owned the antiwar position but Ron would throw that bloody shirt out into the light of day for all to see.

Another tradition owned by the democrats has been civil liberties but Ron destroys that bigtime and again exposes Obama as nothing but an extreme fear mucking right winger. He may be this by default for being nothing more than an errand boy for men(wolves) in sheep's cloaks. The civil libertarian left who've made a home in the democrat party will be forced out of the dark and made to make clear, hard choices for all to see.

Many in the OWS movement are becoming more and more anti-Federal Reserve and Ron owns that issue. Even Newt to his credit made note that Ron Paul has been a consistent knowledgeable voice warning about the Federal Reserve going back to when Newt himself first entered Congress and it's harm because of monetary policy. If a debate between Obama and Paul got on the subject of economics and monetary policy, Ron would wipe the floor with Obama not that he wouldn't do the same with the other republican wanna-bees.

Deficit reduction? Paul has a very serious plan of serious cuts and I know so many will claim the great mass extinction will occur if Ron has his way but most of what he wants to cut is far more about regulatory capture than it is about doing some civic good for the people. See this for the basic gist on regulatory capture. Between the money saved on foreign ventures and the cuts in gov't size, all this money now remains in the private sector and in order for it to do something and earn a return, it will need to be put to work in the private economy and with that comes jobs and new businesses mostly small and local. What a true free market does best and works best in.

Ending the drug war of which Paul seriously advocates to do will do more to end certain forms of institutional racism that have existed for a longtime. The drug war in truth has been about creating a type justice-industrial complex that has been nothing more than a corporate welfare bonanza for the connected players. Just research the many companies involved and their profit lines over time and the truth leaps off the pages. Think again lobby and regulatory capture. Ending this wealth re-distribution would return large sums of money back into the private sector (not via a gov't central planning model) to once again need investing in said private markets to earn a return. This again leads to job opportunities and new businesses.

A Ron Paul nominee is the nightmare neither democrat or republican establishocrats want because "We The People" would then clearly see that both parties are the 2 wings of the same bird of prey!

wkmac

I think it would be for politics as a whole. Think past the next four years. Politics in this country is way too big for two parties.

Very true but then this is another reason why so much of the bigness needs to be shifted back local and with it let the collective resources stay local instead of passing up and down a central planning buffet line while the rent seekers drain it for what it's worth. Real, effective welfare for example, if one really wants it, actually costs very little but the big sapper in costs are the administrative costs and the leech latchers who latch on to bleed it dry. Staying local cuts out the real fat which is the fat ass administrators and the rent seekers who benefit via services contracts.