Scam calls

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Anybody else getting bombarded with scam calls pretending to be the IRS or Treasury Dept from Death Valley (caller id)? I'm averaging like 2 a day lately.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Got one the other day that I had already Googled the number. It was some guy with an unintelligible accent. Indian, Pakistani or maybe Kentuckian.

He started to tell me that I had a virus on my computer. He wanted me to log into some website and mentioned Windows and Microsoft.

I played along, and after a while I said, "What? Windows? Microsoft? Jerk, I am on a MacBook!"

Then, I layed into him for a couple minutes.

No more calls.:)

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Anybody else getting bombarded with scam calls pretending to be the IRS or Treasury Dept from Death Valley (caller id)? I'm averaging like 2 a day lately.
Been getting a lot of calls lately. If I don't recognize a phone number I don't answer. They hang up 99% of the time.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Unfortunately their persistence means people are falling for it.
they just caught the nigerian king who swindled people out of 60 million.

best thing is don't even engage these people. i read somewhere that even if you answer the phone they can get all the personal info they need somehow. we don't answer and most of the time they don't leave a message.

then you can google the number. any legit business doe not call like this anyway. they mail something that you have to sign for. the scammers will probably do that someday.

it's not IF your identity will be stolen , it's WHEN it will be stolen. you have to stay ever vigilant.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
they just caught the nigerian king who swindled people out of 60 million.

best thing is don't even engage these people. i read somewhere that even if you answer the phone they can get all the personal info they need somehow. we don't answer and most of the time they don't leave a message.

then you can google the number. any legit business doe not call like this anyway. they mail something that you have to sign for. the scammers will probably do that someday.

it's not IF your identity will be stolen , it's WHEN it will be stolen. you have to stay ever vigilant.
really? You want to provide a link as to how they get your bank account number by you simply answering a phone call?

welovelogistics

What can brown do for you
I dont have caller ID on my landline but I get these calls usually once every other day. They're ridiculous how these scammers sound with their pre recorded "you will be arrested and charged with a felony" bull crap. Unless you owe Uncle Sam a boatload of money and you know you do, the IRS isn't gonna get you. And the IRS generally uses either the mail or in person methods, never phone, and never email, to conduct collection activities. They are very old school. If you ever get a visit from the tax man, your first call should be to a lawyer. Next call to the person handling your money.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Knowing that the IRS and anything gov't related is probably a scam, I don't answer it. The agencies (bank, IRS, police etc.) like the snail mail for the REAL notifications. Knowledge of this is your power.
The line is always needing your SS# to right some wrong.