Seniority question

gypsy mcgee

Sorry if this thread is common knowledge to most. If two employees have same hire date with zero pt, what decides senior employee for bidding purposes?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sorry if this thread is common knowledge to most. If two employees have same hire date with zero pt, what decides senior employee for bidding purposes?

Depends on local practices. It is different everywhere.

Who punched in first
Date and or time on application
Who got their 30 days in first
Alphabetically
Coin toss
Winner of the bare knuckle brawl
Biggest shoe size
Weight
Bust size

rod

Retired 22 years
The only case we had like this was settled with a coin toss----------------------------and the loser cried about it for thirty years. Both of the guys were avid hunters and the one who won the coin toss got his pick of vacations first so that lead to some awkward situations---especially at deer hunting time.

The only case we had like this was settled with a coin toss----------------------------and the loser cried about it for thirty years. Both of the guys were avid hunters and the one who won the coin toss got his pick of vacations first so that lead to some awkward situations---especially at deer hunting time.
You lost the toss?

rod

Retired 22 years
You lost the toss?

No-- it wasn't me. I was lucky enough to be hired when UPS was just starting to expand nation wide. About a year after I was hired our center more than tripled the number of employees. Shortly after I started we had 2 ten year drivers quit (we only had 8 drivers counting me to start with) so I was always able to get what ever weeks I wanted off for vacation

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In all seriousness, this is how we did it last time it came up in my building.

Upstate NY Supplement

Article 57 Section 3

Where two (2) or more employees have the same seniority date, the employee who completed their thirtieth (30th) workday first shall go ahead on the seniority list. If still tied, the date of employment application shall govern, and if still tied, seniority order shall be decided by coin toss.

T

Turdferguson

monkey-knife-fight1.jpg

Way it should be handled.

DOK

Upstate NY Supplement

Article 57 Section 3

Where two (2) or more employees have the same seniority date, the employee who completed their thirtieth (30th) workday first shall go ahead on the seniority list. If still tied, the date of employment application shall govern, and if still tied, seniority order shall be decided by coin toss.

I can see all kinds of problems here with the coin toss.
Who calls it
Who tosses it
Witnesses
What coin to use
Is it let to hit the floor or caught and slapped on arm

Etc etc etc