Should raises be for union dues payers only?

Should raises be for union dues payers only?

• Yes

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

Driver7906

All UPS jobs should be for dues paying members considering the pay and benefits are all union negotiated. But unfortunately in right to work states, you can reap the benefits of being in the union without being in the union. We have a lot of scabs in my building.

DOK

Be curious to know how many don’t pay dues? Our building has about 250 employees, I just assume everyone is a dues paying employee?

Thebrownblob

Be curious to know how many don’t pay dues? Our building has about 250 employees, I just assume everyone is a dues paying employee?
Do you work in a right to work state? If you do then, not, everyone has to pay dues if they choose not to.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Look up “exclusive representation” unions fought hard to be “forced” to represent non paying members. Their preference would be to force dues, but in rtw states exclusive representation is second best for the union. If they didn’t represent all employees then scabs could have their own contract (ups- hey we will pay you a dollar more if you join the tome union) or more likely a competitive union that promised better protection or benefits could come in. Under current law the only way for a workforce to change from one union to another would be to decertify, then re certify a new union which would result in a period without representation. The free riders are a small price to pay to avoid competition
This Tome union, you suppose they might got cakes and pies?

34yearpackagehumper

Look up “exclusive representation” unions fought hard to be “forced” to represent non paying members. Their preference would be to force dues, but in rtw states exclusive representation is second best for the union. If they didn’t represent all employees then scabs could have their own contract (ups- hey we will pay you a dollar more if you join the tome union) or more likely a competitive union that promised better protection or benefits could come in. Under current law the only way for a workforce to change from one union to another would be to decertify, then re certify a new union which would result in a period without representation. The free riders are a small price to pay to avoid competition
I often wondered if the union would represent you as well if you were not a dues paying member . Myself I had enough sense not to take that chance.

R1wonder

I’m so glad I’m not in a rtw state working with scum who don’t contribute. .I’d prob end up fighting them and losing my union job.

Driver7906

I often wondered if the union would represent you as well if you were not a dues paying member . Myself I had enough sense not to take that chance.
I remember hearing about a non union driver getting fired and the union told him they would get him his job back if he started paying his dues. He agreed to it and it was done.

Some scabs say “I do my job and management never bothers me. I don’t need the union for anything so why pay dues?”. They ignore the fact that if it weren’t for the union they wouldn’t make the wages or receive the benefits that they do.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I’m so glad I’m not in a rtw state working with scum who don’t contribute. .I’d prob end up fighting them and losing my union job.
I’d say misguided, not scum.
Just as a generality.

I work in an RTW state.
I know non union people who are good guys.

They’re just wrong about unions. Sooner or later most people figure it out.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Just as a generality.

I work in an RTW state.

I don’t think I could’ve worked with non dues paying workers. It probably wouldn’t have ended well. Also, human nature being what it is, you know damn well those non paying workers won’t get the best union representation when they get in a jam, and rightly so.

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden

Just as a generality.

I work in an RTW state.

Everybody hates and complains about the union until they need to get their job back.
Paying union dues is paying for job insurance.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
It definitely sucks.
I never had to do it.
My state went RTW a few years after I retired. As far as I know, so far there is not one employee who has refused to join the Union.
Talk about rank hypocrisy, enjoying and riding the benefits of the sacrifices and money of others.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
How much will Union dues rise?

I'm going to guess it will be $125/month now.
union dues are 2.5x your hourly rate, rounded to the nearest dollar, once a month. $125 per month dues will occur when your rate is between 49.80 and 50.19, no guessing needed.