So I'm at $18.75 as seasonal driver

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Good thing you, along with the other 90,000 bug-eyed, sunshine fresh, seasonals who are still shiitting out driving school chow all think the same way. You're lucky to stay on more than a month and a half but in case you do, here are some helpful tips for you.

Before you ask, No, you cannot wear dreadlocks. Yes, you can wear sneakers, yes you have to shave, yes you can have off the week before Xmas. No you will not still have a job after having your ID taken and application shredded even if your English is impeccable if you threaten the security guard. Don't drink the yellow Gatorade that was left for you in the back of the truck.

...yes you have to pay Union Dues

Merry Xmas, you can get UPS socks at:
SOCKS
Fixed LOL

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If I get brought on full time it takes 4 years to get top rate right?

And top rate right now is $35/hr?

So what will my rate be after one year?
After 2 years
After 3 years?

And 4 years from now will top rate be up to $40/hr?
Keep working and don't worry about it.

bigpackagedeliver

I have been with UPS for two year my friend and I will tell you just take seasonal as seasonal. I started as a driver helper two years ago and then it took 4 months to even get a preload position. I am now just working for driver. Did they mention there would be ft driving positions afterward? Don't get too excited. Just take it a day at a time and search this site for awesome driving tips to just get through seasonal.

bigpackagedeliver

UPS is great at promising things and then not having the best communication. I was promised after seasonal, I would start right away but they always pushed back the start date so before you get super excited about the pay, just focus on seasonal and then worry about the rest. The benefits with this company are amazing though. It's worth whatever position you take after seasonal if one is offered.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
I have been with UPS for two year my friend and I will tell you just take seasonal as seasonal. I started as a driver helper two years ago and then it took 4 months to even get a preload position. I am now just working for driver. Did they mention there would be ft driving positions afterward? Don't get too excited. Just take it a day at a time and search this site for awesome driving tips to just get through seasonal.
Being told I should start driving seasonal this week at my center. I will take it day by day, one stop at a time and do all I can to get through peak. Knowing there is a small chance this thing could go permenant, I was told to sign the PT to FT bid going up in December. Since I have some hub seniority, been to Integrad and have/will be driven seasonal that may greater my chances at becoming a FT driver I'm hoping.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Should the union do everything they can to keep the dues down? Are they even trying?

Well, I agree with @UpstateNYUPSer that there should be no dues for very short term employees who would normally not be afforded union protection. But, in the grand scheme of things, why would the union care. For the short amount of time these seasonals are working and getting dues taken out, just an example...if 75,000 people had to pay just $10 for dues, that's $750k. It's a win / win for the union. Most of these people have little or no rights and even if they were to file a grievance, they would be long gone before it was heard anyways.

Damn right the union isn't going to try to keep dues down or waive people from paying them. They are filling their coffers with all the seasonal dues and initiation fees. Which in my own personal opinion, should be disallowed.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Wrong.

People in RTW states don't have to pay union dues BUT they should if they are going to work for a union job.
Which is actually good for me!! A seasonal should not have to pay the Union if they aren't a part of the union! I had to pay. I didn't mind tho because my focus was to be where I am now. I pressed on as a seasonal driver and was laid off Christmas Day.

I kept making my FaceTime and pushing. I'm now FT. I feel now tho, seasonals shouldn't have to pay the Union.