Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

I should've clarified. I'm a feeder driver. Feeders didn't have the same options as delivery bc we r normally off that day. I've already heard a few say they will file if it's a "normal" work day plus holiday bc they r losing money.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Sounds like you want the money without doing the work. Change classification then.

I should've clarified. I'm a feeder driver. Feeders didn't have the same options as delivery bc we r normally off that day. I've already heard a few say they will file if it's a "normal" work day plus holiday bc they r losing money.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Maybe you can bump a couple preloaders for that day.

sportsjock

This is what our local passed out to us yesterday.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1408842583.625869.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Sent using BrownCafe App
If it is going to be a normal delivery day for UPS, they will need all the sorts and all the feeder drivers. Feeder drivers, except a few, never worked Friday after Thanksgiving. This year, as long as UPS runs a full operation, it will be all hands on deck. All the pickup pieces will be sorted and moved Friday night just like a normal Friday.

The only difference being, is that it may be a very light pickup day, and not all feeder jobs may run.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It will be a normal and anyone not on vacation will be working.

Individual locals do not have the authority to direct their members not to report to work that day.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It will be a normal and anyone not on vacation will be working.

Individual locals do not have the authority to direct their members not to report to work that day.
Central Region Supplement
Article 12
Section 1

There shall be a weekly guarantee in each center as follows: In each
classification in each center, the most senior ninety percent (90%)
of employees called or put to work on the first (1st) workday shall
be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straight
time work during the week.

Bottom 10% percent are not guaranteed to work 5 days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Central Region Supplement
Article 12
Section 1

There shall be a weekly guarantee in each center as follows: In each
classification in each center, the most senior ninety percent (90%)
of employees called or put to work on the first (1st) workday shall
be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straight
time work during the week.

Bottom 10% percent are not guaranteed to work 5 days.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
It means that if it is expected to be a light day, UPS can tell 10% of its workforce, at least in the Central, to stay home and they are not guaranteed to work that day.

This was in response to your post about individual locals do not have the authority to direct their members not to report to work.

No they don't. But UPS does and is not obligated to pay the bottom 10%. They have no guarantee. Reread the thread and you will realize that the price of tea in China has everything to do with it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The contract that we agreed to has that day listed as a holiday. This was a post-contract agreement between the company and union, much like when they raised the weight limit to 150.

It was a post-contract "operational working day" decision by the company.

The comparison to raising the weight limit.... is different. That was a straight contract violation.

Hence, the ability to strike. Like we did.

It means that if it is expected to be a light day, UPS can tell 10% of its workforce, at least in the Central, to stay home and they are not guaranteed to work that day.

The ability to forecast volume ? That's long gone.

I think you are giving them a little to much credit. :biggrin:

You are correct on the language.

But, that doesn't waive the 6-hr "show up" guarantee....

If you are scheduled, the preceding friday.

-Bug-

HULKAMANIA

Central Region Supplement:

Article 15 Section 1-Holidays

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following (8) named holidays-New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING DAY, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve regardless of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls, provided they comply with the qualifications set forth hereinafter.

OK that pretty much states what the Central Supplement says about the day after thanksgiving. Now tell me how they can just out of the blue say OH by the way we are all working the day after Thanksgiving now? Why is the union allowing this to take place when it is obviously stated against in our supplement?

Much of the people on here state they dont care cause of the money they will make. I differ from that. I live a good bit of miles away from my family and this was/is the ONLY holiday of which I can get away to see them! It makes me furious that some lazy turd in an office decides OH we need to work this now cause of last year. Guess what those snow storms can happen ANYTIME and derail ANY plan. OH we are in for a rude awakening in the amount of volume seen? I guess that might just depend on where you are. In the center I am in I know good and well they will plan for X amount of routes and cut more than half of them that day I guarantee it!

HULKAMANIA

It was a post-contract "operational working day" decision by the company.

The comparison to raising the weight limit.... is different. That was a straight contract violation.

Hence, the ability to strike. Like we did.

The ability to forecast volume ? That's long gone.

I think you are giving them a little to much credit. :biggrin:

You are correct on the language.

But, that doesn't waive the 6-hr "show up" guarantee....

If you are scheduled, the preceding friday.

-Bug-

HOW convenient that it was a POST decision made by the company. Why do we bother paying union dues if the union just stands by and allows the company to do whatever whenever they want?

How is his comparison different? The contract clearly states the Day after Thankgiving we are NOT required to work. Now we are being told we are....Thats a straight contract violation. Im not being smart with you Im just saying word for word its a flat out contradiction on what the members, union, and company agreed to and now they want to change it afterwards? Thats a load of crap and we all know it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Central Region Supplement:

Article 15 Section 1-Holidays

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following (8) named holidays-New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING DAY, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve regardless of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls, provided they comply with the qualifications set forth hereinafter.

OK that pretty much states what the Central Supplement says about the day after thanksgiving. Now tell me how they can just out of the blue say OH by the way we are all working the day after Thanksgiving now? Why is the union allowing this to take place when it is obviously stated against in our supplement?

Much of the people on here state they dont care cause of the money they will make. I differ from that. I live a good bit of miles away from my family and this was/is the ONLY holiday of which I can get away to see them! It makes me furious that some lazy turd in an office decides OH we need to work this now cause of last year. Guess what those snow storms can happen ANYTIME and derail ANY plan. OH we are in for a rude awakening in the amount of volume seen? I guess that might just depend on where you are. In the center I am in I know good and well they will plan for X amount of routes and cut more than half of them that day I guarantee it!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Tell your local to grow some balls. It is Local 344's interpretation of the contract that we cannot be forced to work except for air deliveries. There will be no full operational day in my center.