Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Heard tonight that my management team announced at our morning pep rally last week that my center will not be working the day after Thanksgiving except for air.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It varies from supplement to supplement.
Where I am, the day after Thanksgiving is a holiday and we are paid double time if we work.
They can schedule us any day of the week, at any time of the year for the applicable pay rate, if they have the foresight to do so the Friday before.
What it comes down to is attendance, hours available and fortitude.
What are you going to do?

Yep.

The decision came after the contract had been (imposed) ratified.

Everyone.... should remember that part.

The real question is who in the Union allowed this. Here is the language from the Central region supplement:

Section 4.... has been there since 1982.

This is the first time, they have tried to utilize it.

Lets see, how that works out. :biggrin:

For further reference.... see Bubblehead's post.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What article is that in?
Varies by supplement, but here in the Central Region

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS

Section 1

Effective May 1, 1980, all seniority employees (including part-time employees) shall receive two

(2) optional holidays as provided above. (Note: One (1) of the optional holidays is in lieu of the

negotiated sick day, effective the same date.) All employees hired after July 31, 1997, shall

receive two (2) optional holidays on his/her second (2nd) anniversary and each subsequent year.

No employee may earn more than two (2) optional holidays in a calendar year. The date of the

optional holiday is to be determined by mutual agreement between the employee and the

Employer except that there shall be no optional holiday during the period Thanksgiving through

December 25th.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The real question is who in the Union allowed this. Here is the language from the Central region supplement:
Seriously, that's the most asinine thing I've seen. Drivers shall not be required to work...but if they are required to work this is what they'll be paid. wtf?

RealPerson

Going out on a Limb here.... I am going to say No matter what you Hear right now, it is all subject to change based on the Volume the WEEK before and Projected for the week of Thanksgiving.... (Black Friday) ... throw in some Weather conditions....

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Would be hard to plan a full operation in my center if it's the locals interpretation that the employees cannot be forced to work. In the past we couldn't even get enough drivers to deliver the air let alone run all routes. It's in their best interest to just not work that day since there will not be enough drivers to staff the operation.
This should have been negotiated as part of the current contract.

Would it be hard to plan a full operation in my center if it's the locals interpretation that the employees cannot be forced to work. In the past we couldn't even get enough drivers to deliver the air let alone run all routes. It's in their best interest to just not work that day since there will not be enough drivers to staff the operation.
This should have been negotiated as part of the current contract.
Just like when they raised the weight limit? from 70 to 150??

UPS WORKHORSE

ARTICLE 40 MASTER CONTRACT
(j) Holiday Work
When it is necessary to provide air service on holidays, the following
procedure shall be used:
(1) The Employer shall offer this work in seniority order to full
time air drivers who have worked at least one (1) day that week
before offering it to part-time air drivers.
(2) When the scheduling needs cannot be met using the above provision,
the Employer shall have the right to force part-time air drivers
and then full-time air drivers to work starting in reverse order of seniority.
If after exhausting the above steps scheduling needs are still not
met, the Employer shall offer the work in seniority order within the
package driver classification. If more drivers are still needed the
reverse seniority order concept will be used for package drivers.
Package car drivers who work on a holiday may make a written
request for an eight (8) hour guarantee. Such written request shall be
made the last work day prior to the holiday. All time worked by these
drivers on a holiday will be paid at the Supplemental holiday rate.
(3) The scheduling of the support work will be reviewed with the
Local Union prior to the holiday. If the Local Union believes that
the Employer has scheduled an excessive number of support
employees, it shall have the right to appeal directly to the National
Air Committee. The National Air Committee will review the schedule
and determine whether the Employer has scheduled an excessive
number of support employees. If it is determined by the
National Air Committee that the Employer worked excessive support
employees, the excessive employees worked shall be paid double-
time for hours worked in addition to their holiday pay.
(4) Air drivers and support employees scheduled on a holiday to
ensure air service to the customer, including time performing incidental
work, shall receive straight-time for all hours worked up to
eight (8) hours in addition to the holiday pay. Overtime provisions
shall apply if the employee works over eight (8) hours.

muthatrucka

This question may have been answered but what about the old people who take thanksgiving week off as vacation and had no idea they had an opportunity to make holiday plus time and a half or whatever for the day? There will be grievances filed. U can bet on that one. These 60 hr week guys r gonna feel as if they r losing out. However, I myself love days off.

Sent using BrownCafe App

muthatrucka

Would be hard to plan a full operation in my center if it's the locals interpretation that the employees cannot be forced to work. In the past we couldn't even get enough drivers to deliver the air let alone run all routes. It's in their best interest to just not work that day since there will not be enough drivers to staff the operation.
This should have been negotiated as part of the current contract.[/it
would be hard to staff 3 sorts to run preload, twi, and night side also. Most pt employees haven't even been around long enough to get holiday pay. What's ur leverage to force them if they don't get paid anyway? U can't fire a bunch of people right at the start of peak.

Sent using BrownCafe App

muthatrucka

it
would be hard to staff 3 sorts to run preload, twi, and night side also. Most pt employees haven't even been around long enough to get holiday pay. What's ur leverage to force them if they don't get paid anyway? U can't fire a bunch of people right at the start of peak.

Sent using BrownCafe App

This question may have been answered but what about the old people who take thanksgiving week off as vacation and had no idea they had an opportunity to make holiday plus time and a half or whatever for the day? There will be grievances filed. U can bet on that one. These 60 hr week guys r gonna feel as if they r losing out. However, I myself love days off.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The reason us "old people" take Thanksgiving week off is so we can't be forced to work Black Friday.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Sent using BrownCafe App
They already new the opportunity existed. It has been many years since UPS started delivering air on that day. They have always had the opportunity to volunteer for that day and get paid time and a half, double time etc. They chose to give up the option of volunteering by taking the week as a vacation.

Johney

Sent using BrownCafe App
How about this. Get paid 45 hours vacation, 16 hours holiday, then work Black Friday(if they let you,here they would)for double time? Cha-Ching!

muthatrucka

I should've clarified. I'm a feeder driver. Feeders didn't have the same options as delivery bc we r normally off that day. I've already heard a few say they will file if it's a "normal" work day plus holiday bc they r losing money.

Sent using BrownCafe App