Sorts shutting down

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Reminds me of the tactics the Company used to scare UPS Freight members into voting yes on the Company's second offer last contract, right after Hoffa and the IBT left them high and dry and all alone by imposing the small package contract in early 2019.

The Company turned away freight, laid off many employees as they emptied the system ahead of the vote, and even had Cintas come in and and take away all the floor mats days before the vote.

Don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe people, the car is running just fine.
then.....how does this square?
I'm kinda old, help me understand your question....

....are you asking how this makes sense?

How frickin' obtuse can you be???
Assuming I am correct and "how does this square" means what I think it does, it's simple:

After more than 2 years of ridiculous unforcasted growth in the e-commerce market, UPS is now experiencing a natural contraction in volume on the backside of an unprecedented crisis and accelerated inflation, but UPS is well positioned going forward.

Being true to their longstanding playbook, the Company is again trying to squeeze yet more blood from the turnip, selling it as a long term downward market trend to try and scare our members into accepting less.

Where I am from supervisors working is being grieved at a blistering pace, drivers are still being scheduled for 6 days, 9.5 violations are now suddenly a problem again, egress remains the same problem it has been for years and nobody wants to work here anymore.

Don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe and hold solid on what is important.

~Bbbl~™

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Reminds me of the tactics the Company used to scare UPS Freight members into voting yes on the Company's second offer last contract, right after Hoffa and the IBT left them high and dry and all alone by imposing the small package contract in early 2019.

The Company turned away freight, laid off many employees as they emptied the system ahead of the vote, and even had Cintas come in and and take away all the floor mats days before the vote.

Don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe people, the car is running just fine.

iruhnman630

Our building recently began writing drivers up for not unloading all smalls 'shoebox size ' or smaller and under 10 pounds.

For most of us that is about half or more of our pickup volume.

I would not be surprised if we end up unloading all of our own volume and seeing drastic reductions in the sort staffing.

qdg2

Assuming I am correct and "how does this square" means what I think it does, it's simple:

After more than 2 years of ridiculous unforcasted growth in the e-commerce market, UPS is now experiencing a natural contraction in volume on the backside of an unprecedented crisis and accelerated inflation, but UPS is well positioned going forward.

Being true to their longstanding playbook, the Company is again trying to squeeze yet more blood from the turnip, selling it as a long term downward market trend to try and scare our members into accepting less.

Where I am from supervisors working is being grieved at a blistering pace, drivers are still being scheduled for 6 days, 9.5 violations are now suddenly a problem again, egress remains the same problem it has been for years and nobody wants to work here anymore.

~Bbbl~™
My point: Freight was sold anyway. A smaller economic agreement made it easier to sell....

I actually think(mostly) you are exactly right.

21Savage

Our building recently began writing drivers up for not unloading all smalls 'shoebox size ' or smaller and under 10 pounds.

For most of us that is about half or more of our pickup volume.

I would not be surprised if we end up unloading all of our own volume and seeing drastic reductions in the sort staffing.
That's what they started doing at my building. We're told to park our trucks in the same bay we left from and unload all pickup volume if back after 20:00

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This just seems like a shell game, shut down one sort and all you do is increase hours on the adjacent sort and cause indirects aka everybody gets their package 1 day later and with an extra round of possible damages.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
This just seems like a shell game, shut down one sort and all you do is increase hours on the adjacent sort and cause indirects aka everybody gets their package 1 day later and with an extra round of possible damages.
That's kind of what I was thinking.
"Shift labor from this region to this region for the 2nd quarter, then we will cut hard in the 3rd and shift labor again..."

What'dyabringmetoday???

~Bbbl~™
No worries- Sean is out in front of this. Going to be the best contract yet!

dudebro

"This just seems like a shell game, shut down one sort and all you do is increase hours on the adjacent sort and cause indirects aka everybody gets their package 1 day later and with an extra round of possible damages."

That's true if you're processing the same amount of packages. If there's less volume to process, you get the lower volume of work done on one sort with the same hours as before, and you don't need the second sort.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
"This just seems like a shell game, shut down one sort and all you do is increase hours on the adjacent sort and cause indirects aka everybody gets their package 1 day later and with an extra round of possible damages."

That's true if you're processing the same amount of packages. If there's less volume to process, you get the lower volume of work done on one sort with the same hours as before, and you don't need the second sort.
Feela like the textbook rail example:
Instead of sending 4 crews with 4 trains. You can roughly double the length of the trains. The first crew goes but the second crew is now forced to wait. The second crew runs out of hours and must be replaced by a third crew. Therefore (after several hours of extra pay and a horrible timeframe and use of infrastructure) you save roughly the cost of a fourth crew.

Better not bigger.

dudebro

Well, in your example, you still save one crew. But you describe a negative effect on the infrastructure. With less volume, the second crew isn't waiting, they're rescheduled.

In my opinion, if UPS is taking down sorts, they're projecting that the volume will be reduced at least until fall / peak season. Ops changes incur some chaos costs for a week or two until they stabilize. Closing sorts are months-long decisions.

Steamer

7nqly7.jpg

Last edited:

Commercial Inside Release

This is like in antiquity or perhaps the dark ages, where the chiefs of the tribes or clans are promised great things, but when invited to the meeting hall, they are all stabbed and hung from the rafters.