Sorts shutting down

Trucker Clock

Tell those laid off

Tell those laid off?

You don't know much about business, do you? I hate to see layoffs, but sometimes it is a necessary evil. I'm Union, through and through, but I also want to see UPS thrive so that we, as employees, can continue to earn a very good living. UPS is not a charity. They are in business to make money. They provide me with a very good life.

UPS hired thousands of employees during the pandemic due to everyone ordering everything, including toilet paper, online. Their volume, and profits, went through the roof.

The pandemic is pretty much over. People are starting to migrate back to the brick and mortar stores. Inflation is way up. UPS volume, and freight volume in general, is declining.

What do you want UPS to do? Become a charity. Not lay anyone off? Not consolidate sorts? Not make money?

Again, I hate to see layoffs. But as the volume goes down, something has to give. UPS has to stay profitable. It means layoffs.

Over70irregs

Tell those laid off?

You don't know much about business, do you? I hate to see layoffs, but sometimes it is a necessary evil. I'm Union, through and through, but I also want to see UPS thrive so that we, as employees, can continue to earn a very good living. UPS is not a charity. They are in business to make money. They provide me with a very good life.

UPS hired thousands of employees during the pandemic due to everyone ordering everything, including toilet paper, online. Their volume, and profits, went through the roof.

The pandemic is pretty much over. People are starting to migrate back to the brick and mortar stores. Inflation is way up. UPS volume, and freight volume in general, is declining.

What do you want UPS to do? Become a charity. Not lay anyone off? Not consolidate sorts? Not make money?

Again, I hate to see layoffs. But as the volume goes down, something has to give. UPS has to stay profitable. It means layoffs.
I don’t know anything about business. Ok…

Jim Rockford

Tell those laid off?

“They provide me with a very good life”

Where does this line of thinking come from?..i just cant…YOU provide them with their good life!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Q“They provide me with a very good life”
Ddr
Where does thisd line of thinking come from?..i just cant…YOU provide them with their good life!
Actually it's more both sides win. Our labor and productivity makes for profitability, which we share in. Nothing given, nothing taken.

ManInBrown

Tell those laid off?

Here’s where I have a problem with this thinking. In feeders for the last few months we have anywhere from 10-30 drivers laid off which is 3-10% of our feeder workforce. Every single week on Monday or Tuesday they go down the line and call a certain number of layoff drivers and ask them if they want to work, and by work I mean drive. So they are playing games. Why are they laying people off, and one day into the workweek asking them to forget about being laid off, and come to work? It’s BS. They are playing a numbers game for the people in the ivory tower, and messing with peoples lives. The second problem is every week they hang sheets for extra work, Fri, Sat, Sun voluntary. So how are people laid off with these two scenarios? It’s a joke. They 100% overhired during the pandemic. That I’m not disagreeing with.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Here’s where I have a problem with this thinking. In feeders for the last few months we have anywhere from 10-30 drivers laid off which is 3-10% of our feeder workforce. Every single week on Monday or Tuesday they go down the line and call a certain number of layoff drivers and ask them if they want to work, and by work I mean drive. So they are playing games. Why are they laying people off, and one day into the workweek asking them to forget about being laid off, and come to work? It’s BS. They are playing a numbers game for the people in the ivory tower, and messing with peoples lives. The second problem is every week they hang sheets for extra work, Fri, Sat, Sun voluntary. So how are people laid off with these two scenarios? It’s a joke. They 100% overhired during the pandemic. That I’m not disagreeing with.
Those voluntary days should go to the bottom drivers that need hours.

Trucker Clock

“They provide me with a very good life”

Where does this line of thinking come from?..i just cant…YOU provide them with their good life!

Nope. They hired me to drive a truck for $43/hr. If I didn't want the job, they would hire someone else.

I do agree that my labor makes them money. It's a win-win for both of us. Yes, they provide me with a great salary and benefits to have a great life. Sorry if you can't understand that.

Trucker Clock

Here’s where I have a problem with this thinking. In feeders for the last few months we have anywhere from 10-30 drivers laid off which is 3-10% of our feeder workforce. Every single week on Monday or Tuesday they go down the line and call a certain number of layoff drivers and ask them if they want to work, and by work I mean drive. So they are playing games. Why are they laying people off, and one day into the workweek asking them to forget about being laid off, and come to work? It’s BS.

Because if they didn't lay them off, they would owe them 40 hrs. Then they may be paying drivers to pull empties around. They lay them off and them call them in as needed. Business 101. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Because if they didn't lay them off, they would owe them 40 hrs. Then they may be paying drivers to pull empties around. They lay them off and them call them in as needed. Business 101. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Sometimes you need to pull empties around to balance equipment…and run trailers /dollies that need minor things fixed to locations that have a trailer shop. The sort that is closing in mkotw has a large “automated” building 30 minutes away that isnt even close to being maxed out…I would guess that if the company is even around in 25 years there will be more union jobs than there is now, just like there are more jobs now than 25 years ago during the great Teamster strike of “97….”

Trucker Clock

Sometimes you need to pull empties around to balance equipment…and run trailers /dollies that need minor things fixed to locations that have a trailer shop. The sort that is closing in mkotw has a large “automated” building 30 minutes away that isnt even close to being maxed out…I would guess that if the company is even around in 25 years there will be more union jobs than there is now, just like there are more jobs now than 25 years ago during the great Teamster strike of “97….”

Yep. Except for the current downward trend in volume. Although, it is probably only temporary like what happens every year, or every 5 years.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep. Except for the current downward trend in volume. Although, it is probably only temporary like what happens every year, or every 5 years.
What’s going to happen is they won’t hire anyone for a year or two and volume will go back up and they will have to scramble to get a bunch of people trained and end up hiring a sht ton of off the street hires…I’m talking feeder here. This is exactly what happen a few years ago…not talking about the pandemic either…that was a whole other animal.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Here’s where I have a problem with this thinking. In feeders for the last few months we have anywhere from 10-30 drivers laid off which is 3-10% of our feeder workforce. Every single week on Monday or Tuesday they go down the line and call a certain number of layoff drivers and ask them if they want to work, and by work I mean drive.

That's not a layoff.... more like a (variable) reduction in the workforce.

People should read the language in their supplement.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
That's not a layoff.... more like a (variable) reduction in the workforce.

People should read the language in their supplement.
I mean this is tricky under my suppliment because if you took the layoff and are not working then of course coming back to work inter-weekly is entirely voluntary. If you are working 1 or 2 shifts however the process of being recalled is not an ask but a force and you would be notified while working.

ManInBrown

but that’s the thing, it’s not as needed. They are calling drivers Monday morning to work and as soon as you drive one day, you drive the rest of the week. if they call u to drive, and you come in, you are no longer laid off for the rest of the week. 177 Lay-off language. They’re playing games.