FIFA.jpg

Semi-Finals!
FIFA.jpg

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Nope, got a yellow card today. He has to miss a game :(

But what great exciting games today !

Sport can't get better then that !

Germany should beat Spain by all means, comparing the 2 teams today !

Don't be so sure. The Germans do have alot of confidence but the Spain team is very organized and disciplined. They have an excellent defense and some of the best players in the world. Look for Fernando Torres to get going finally, and get a goal, and David Villa will as well. I think the experience of the Spainards will win out over the youth of the Germans 2-1.

The dutch will beat Uruguay 1-0 in a hard fought defensive struggle. Uruguay is alot like Spain, very organized and dsciplined. They will defend most of the game against the Dutch but will eventually go down in defeat. Leaving the finals to Netherlands and Spain.

See post 10

klein

Für Meno :)
I think I'll be heading to the German Canadian Club on Wednesday. They have a lunch special (german meal ofcourse) during the game.
And, I'll be able to cheer the German win over Spain, with my fellow Germans and German Beer.

grg, you are soo wrong. That young german team, plays as a team now. They will out pass the spanish defense and walk right thru it.
3:1 Germany.
They are now unstopable, they are this years Worldcup Champions !

Holland over Uruquay 2:0

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I think I'll be heading to the German Canadian Club on Wednesday. They have a lunch special (german meal ofcourse) during the game.
And, I'll be able to cheer the German win over Spain, with my fellow Germans and German Beer.

grg, you are soo wrong. That young german team, plays as a team now. They will out pass the spanish defense and walk right thru it.
3:1 Germany.
They are now unstopable, they are this years Worldcup Champions !

Holland over Uruquay 2:0

Germany has looked very good. All credit to the coach, getting a group of young star to gel together can be very difficult. Ask England!!

klein

Germany has looked very good. All credit to the coach, getting a group of young star to gel together can be very difficult. Ask England!!

That German coach btw, is without a contract. Negotitations have failed before the worldcup.
He will surely get the contract now, he was asking for, if not more !

klein

GRG : Damm you, you are just like the Octupus ! :(

BERLIN, July 6 (Reuters Life!) - Germany was in a state of shock on Tuesday after their “oracle octopus” Paul picked Spain to win the World Cup semi-final match against Germany in South Africa on Wednesday.

Not an ordinarily superstitious people, Germans have become believers in Paul’s possible psychic powers.
“This is not a good omen,” wrote Bild newspaper’s online edition after the news of Paul’s pick flashed across Germany.
The octopus has turned into an international celebrity after accurately picking the winner of all five German World Cup matches to date—including their 1-0 loss to Serbia.

And just a reminder for all. The semi-final Holland - Uruquary is today at 10:30 est, 13:30 pst.

P

pickup

U.S. World Cup bid gets boost

Soccer’s governing body FIFA will conduct a bidding process in December in which nations will apply for the right to host the 2018 and 2022 tournaments. Events over the last few days have increased the possibility of the USA being awarded staging rights for the second time after a successful 1994 tournament.

(and watch the related video on that webpage) - is looking good ! :)

Maybe Canada can host it and maybe if they kiss butt long enough, maybe the officials can give a free pass in order to let Canada's national team play because Lord knows they can't seem to make it any other way. What has it been? Twenty four years since Canada was last in the World Cup and I believe they didn't score a single goal in their brief time in the tournament.

Just sayin'.

klein

Maybe Canada can host it and maybe if they kiss butt long enough, maybe the officials can give a free pass in order to let Canada's national team play because Lord knows they can't seem to make it any other way. What has it been? Twenty four years since Canada was last in the World Cup and I believe they didn't score a single goal in their brief time in the tournament.

Just sayin'.

First of all, the host country always gets a free pass to be in the Worldcup.
Secondly, Canada could never host those games.
Stadiums not big enough, except maybe Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal & Edmonton, but 1000's of miles and miles apart. Would never work.

If we could host them in winter with ice on the fields, then we'll have a chance winning it !

Well, like expected Holland is in the final, with a win of 3:2 over Uruquay.
If my omen is right, it will be a repeat final of 1974 : Germany vs Holland. I sure hope so !

Just last week in the quarter finals.... seemed as if South America was dominating these games, with still 5 countries left.
As of today, they are all gone !
Only Europeans left to win this cup.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
First of all, the host country always gets a free pass to be in the Worldcup.
Secondly, Canada could never host those games.
Stadiums not big enough, except maybe Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal & Edmonton, but 1000's of miles and miles apart. Would never work.

If we could host them in winter with ice on the fields, then we'll have a chance winning it !

Well, like expected Holland is in the final, with a win of 3:2 over Uruquay.
If my omen is right, it will be a repeat final of 1974 : Germany vs Holland. I sure hope so !

Just last week in the quarter finals.... seemed as if South America was dominating these games, with still 5 countries left.
As of today, they are all gone !
Only Europeans left to win this cup.

The smaller Stadiums could simply charge more per Ticket.........That's the American/Canadian way!!!
As an option, some of the games could be played at Detroit, New York or Seattle
Maybe FIFA could reconsider moving games around.
I personally like the different venues, but in the case of Canada.............they are just inept at this level of play... Play at one or two locations...

klein

The smaller Stadiums could simply charge more per Ticket.........That's the American/Canadian way!!!
As an option, some of the games could be played at Detroit, New York or Seattle
Maybe FIFA could recondider moving games around.
I personally like the different venues, but in the case of Canada.............they are just inept at this level of play...

Actually, North Korea and Japan co-hosted those games once.
Canada is just another Austrailia and New Zealand. But, because we are on this continent, to get to the worldcup, we got to beat teams such as the US, Mexico, Honduras. It's hard, but we will make it back there one day, but ofcourse won't get past the first round.
Soccer isn't big here, either. Too bad. We only have 2 sport seasons. #1 is hockey, and then there is Canadian football season. Nothing else really counts here.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Actually, North Korea and Japan co-hosted those games once.
Canada is just another Austrailia and New Zealand. But, because we are on this continent, to get to the worldcup, we got to beat teams such as the US, Mexico, Honduras. It's hard, but we will make it back there one day, but ofcourse won't get past the first round.
Soccer isn't big here, either. Too bad. We only have 2 sport seasons. #1 is hockey, and then there is Canadian football season. Nothing else really counts here.

So....where would they play?

klein

So....where would they play?

Actually, South Korea not north, sorry for that mistake.
They take turns.... a few games there, and a few there.
I think Austria and Switzerland did the same thing. I could be wrong.... can't be bothered with googling now.... Either worldcup or Olympics, can't remember.

Anyways, can't watch the game tomorrow, eh ? My plan is still going to the German Canadian Club, for even more excitement !
The local news channels will be there, too.

KingofBrown

I think Australia deserves to be a host for an upcoming World Cup. I would love to see a World Cup in Australia and a Kangaroo as a mascot. I think it's the only continent left out by FIFA, isn't it? Do they have the resources and stadiums? Because this World Cup they showed they grew on their game and may be in a near future they'll do better, I think. Australia 2018 or Australia 2022. I believe the 2018 should be given to Australia, and although Brazil being an American team will host it on 2014, I'd love the 2022 to be given to the United States. And hope GOD gives me life to watch both of them. FIFA World Cup Australia 2018. Sounds cool.

klein

Well, since Germany just had it 4 years ago, I can't see the cup going to Holland/Belgium, and probably not Portugal/Spain either.
England will host the 2012 Summer Olympics, have doubt they will be awarded the worldcup games. That leaves Russia and the US.
But, the US already hosted them, Russia never, besides being in Brazil just 4 years earlier, might be awarded to Russia. But, then again, Russia is host to the 2014 Olympic winter games...
So, therefor, it's a toss up between Russia and US. I believe.

2022, Australia does look good. I think they got it !

KingofBrown

Only problem is the scheduled times, like in Japan/Korea games were like at 3:00 AM. So I guess the only solution is to wake up early or go to Australia. And the second option sounds better. Doesn't it?

Well, since Germany just had it 4 years ago, I can't see the cup going to Holland/Belgium, and probably not Portugal/Spain either.
England will host the 2012 Summer Olympics, have doubt they will be awarded the worldcup games. That leaves Russia and the US.
But, the US already hosted them, Russia never, besides being in Brazil just 4 years earlier, might be awarded to Russia. But, then again, Russia is host to the 2014 Olympic winter games...
So, therefor, it's a toss up between Russia and US. I believe.

2022, Australia does look good. I think they got it !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only problem is the scheduled times, like in Japan/Korea games were like at 3:00 AM. So I guess the only solution is to wake up early or go to Australia. And the second option sounds better. Doesn't it?

That's why I love Sports Center. I get my 8 hours of sleep and watch the highlights when I get up.