spy cameras?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I was informed by a fellow driver tonight that a mechanic told someone who then told him that the reason I was not in my usual truck today was because they were installing a camera in it. When I find it (during lunch of course), I will make sure and post photos of it for everyone to see. This pisses me off on so many different levels. I'm just glad it's getting warm outside now and I'm sweating fluid out of my body instead of having to use the cup as much. I guess I'll just have to drive to the nearest porta john or bathroom on their time since my privacy in the back of the package car will be in jeapardy. Either that, or just tape something over the camera and tell them it's against my religion to have photos or video taken of me.

SWORDFISH

I was informed by a fellow driver tonight that a mechanic told someone who then told him that the reason I was not in my usual truck today was because they were installing a camera in it. When I find it (during lunch of course), I will make sure and post photos of it for everyone to see. This pisses me off on so many different levels. I'm just glad it's getting warm outside now and I'm sweating fluid out of my body instead of having to use the cup as much. I guess I'll just have to drive to the nearest porta john or bathroom on their time since my privacy in the back of the package car will be in jeapardy. Either that, or just tape something over the camera and tell them it's against my religion to have photos or video taken of me.

I will have to speak to the union about this subject. It doesnt seem like this is acceptable for UPS to do. We all know that UPS will find a way to use this to hang people if they can. If I find one of those suckers im unplugging it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will have to speak to the union about this subject. It doesnt seem like this is acceptable for UPS to do. We all know that UPS will find a way to use this to hang people if they can. If I find one of those suckers im unplugging it.

I am also not in favor of video monitoring.

Sword, don't tamper with any of the monitoring equipment.

idrivethetruck

I do agree with Upstate. Don't tamper with their equipment, there are better ways to fight this.
Shorting a fuse, unplugging, etc would be considered tampering so I'm not about to do that. I wonder if duct tape over the lens or hanging up a sheet of paper to block it's view would be violating any UPS policy towards tampering. Insurance companies, etc are required by law to inform you that they could be taping the conversation whenever you call to report a claim. I believe UPS should be required to inform the drivers whenever a camera is placed in the package car. Believe me, as soon as I find them, I am posting a sign in the PC warning the air drivers who take my car out on Saturdays that there are cameras installed in the car and I'm posting an arrow pointing to them. This is a serious privacy issue. I don't know a single driver who hasn't used the bathroom in the back of their car. We had a female center manager in our building years ago who found a camera in her office that upper management had hidden. Turns out she changed clothes in her office frequently and she sued UPS and won something around $3m dollars. You'd think Big Brown would've learned from that.

local804

Shorting a fuse, unplugging, etc would be considered tampering so I'm not about to do that. I wonder if duct tape over the lens or hanging up a sheet of paper to block it's view would be violating any UPS policy towards tampering. Insurance companies, etc are required by law to inform you that they could be taping the conversation whenever you call to report a claim. I believe UPS should be required to inform the drivers whenever a camera is placed in the package car. Believe me, as soon as I find them, I am posting a sign in the PC warning the air drivers who take my car out on Saturdays that there are cameras installed in the car and I'm posting an arrow pointing to them. This is a serious privacy issue. I don't know a single driver who hasn't used the bathroom in the back of their car. We had a female center manager in our building years ago who found a camera in her office that upper management had hidden. Turns out she changed clothes in her office frequently and she sued UPS and won something around $3m dollars. You'd think Big Brown would've learned from that.

correct!
Colgate-Palmolive co 323 nlrb515-516 1997
Trailmobile trailer 343 nlrb 95-98 2004
The installation of surveillance cameras is a mandatory bargaining subject. UPS must inform th union of its overall plan and bargain over union concerns.

iowa boy

correct!
Colgate-Palmolive co 323 nlrb515-516 1997
Trailmobile trailer 343 nlrb 95-98 2004
The installation of surveillance cameras is a mandatory bargaining subject. UPS must inform th union of its overall plan and bargain over union concerns.

But....

1. Do you really think UPS will willingly inform the union that they are or they want to do this? Or will the union be informed after the fact when drivers are fired for being caught on camera?

2. Am very curious, with the way Hoffa and his lackies are right now, will the union put up a fight over this, or will just let it go and not say a word (i.e., when they changed the 9.5 language)?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm raising my hand as the first driver you know who has never (ever) done that. Oh, you did say single. In that case I take it all back. I'm married!

As for the camera's, I can only think that they would be installed in a car with a high frequency of missing pkgs. To catch a thief you have to use stealthy moves. Other than this I can see no real good use of "secret" camera's. Isn't this what an on-road supe is for?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve, I guess I will be the first single driver who has never used the package car as a restroom; but, there are numerous trees in rural upstate NY that bear my mark.:wink2:

NHDRVR

Steve, I guess I will be the first single driver who has never used the package car as a restroom; but, there are numerous trees in rural upstate NY that bear my mark.:wink2:

I am shaking my head thinking of everything I have done in the back of my (UPS's) package cars. If any of that was on camera....well, it would make for an interesting morning meeting

rod

Retired 22 years
I am shaking my head thinking of everything I have done in the back of my (UPS's) package cars. If any of that was on camera....well, it would make for an interesting morning meeting

I probably wouldn't have been able to haul among other things : a motorcycle, a canoe, enought building materials to build a 2 car garage (everything except the truss rafters and concrete), enough materials to remodel a bathroom (sink shower stall and toilet) , many assorted Christmas trees, dozens of bags of multch and best of all my lovely wife a few times (fun, fun ) , if there would of been cameras in the package cars . What do you mean-- things have changed since I retired:happy2:

idrivethetruck

...As for the camera's, I can only think that they would be installed in a car with a high frequency of missing pkgs. To catch a thief you have to use stealthy moves. Other than this I can see no real good use of "secret" camera's. Isn't this what an on-road supe is for?
I tend to agree with you. In my case, I've never stolen a single thing from UPS except maybe the few brown pens that I forgot to remove from my shirt pocket at work that probably still happen to be around the house here somewhere. And yes, when I find one, I do try to remember to put it back in my pocket the next morning to take back to work.
Mgt has an issue with me and my performance. They have their sparks report, telematics, and who knows what else that they have pored over trying to find out why it takes me longer to do the route than their numbers suggest, but they can't find anything wrong. Smart folks would then start thinking that maybe, just maybe, the time allowance was flawed and try to do something to fix it. But not UPS, it's always got to be someone being dishonest, stealing time, cheating the system somehow.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I tend to agree with you. In my case, I've never stolen a single thing from UPS except maybe the few brown pens that I forgot to remove from my shirt pocket at work that probably still happen to be around the house here somewhere. And yes, when I find one, I do try to remember to put it back in my pocket the next morning to take back to work.
Mgt has an issue with me and my performance. They have their sparks report, telematics, and who knows what else that they have pored over trying to find out why it takes me longer to do the route than their numbers suggest, but they can't find anything wrong. Smart folks would then start thinking that maybe, just maybe, the time allowance was flawed and try to do something to fix it. But not UPS, it's always got to be someone being dishonest, stealing time, cheating the system somehow.
I hear ya, you ain't the only one, Brotha/Sistah!

SWORDFISH

I do agree with Upstate. Don't tamper with their equipment, there are better ways to fight this.

It goes against my privacy so I would cover it or something. Im willing to face the firing squad on my teams behalf. I think its messed up to tape us. I believe in freedom over being controled.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm raising my hand as the first driver you know who has never (ever) done that. Oh, you did say single. In that case I take it all back. I'm married!

As for the camera's, I can only think that they would be installed in a car with a high frequency of missing pkgs. To catch a thief you have to use stealthy moves. Other than this I can see no real good use of "secret" camera's. Isn't this what an on-road supe is for?

On-road supes are expensive, cameras are not. Wonder if that will ever happen.
one supervisor could monitor all the drivers from one computer and there could be "intelligence" built into the software that controls the cameras to notify the supervisor that a driver has been in the back for more than 12 seconds. :biting:

idrivethetruck

...Wonder if that will ever happen.
one supervisor could monitor all the drivers from one computer and there could be "intelligence" built into the software that controls the cameras to notify the supervisor that a driver has been in the back for more than 12 seconds. :biting:
I'm in the back for more than 12 seconds all the time. Looking for that pkg that the diad says in the truck but is not, or is loaded on the wrong shelf. Didn't ever have that problem when I sorted the truck myself.