Strike authorization vote for 705

drewed

Shankman
As you can see ups has not addressed any of these main concerns with under 3 weeks left.

There is a question that i have not seen asked, why didnt ups address the contract with 705 and 710 last year? Why did they wait until june?

Go ahead tie this to must be the union goon propaganda machine at work quote again.

why did THEY wait till June? why did YOU wait till june????
You HAD the opportunity to make UPS the biggest ugliest company ever! you could have given them what you wanted in your contract last year when the economy hadnt taken a dump and there was good feelings with the national going well. If they hadnt come to the table you could have played it out in the media and gotten other locals on board.
But no you sat on your thumbs just as much UPS; now you're in the middle of a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: lake without a paddle. You cant debate economics because the economics are shiet, you can't get the national on board because CMON who would be foolish enough to strike in this economy?
Hey atleast theres some good news coming out of Chicago the Cubs are kicking arse and football seasons just around the corner!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
we are not part of nation contract we have our own contract this has been stated thru-out this post our contract expires in 18 days and we will not lose our jobs

I wasn't aware of the separate contract. I was under the impression it was a supplement or that you hadn't finalized the national contract. I wouldn't say it was stated thru-out. 705red gave me the info I needed so I can understand what is being fought over. I just hope this doesn't affect business around the country.
I think it sucks that your 2 locals have your own separate contract. It actually breaks solidarity more than it makes us united. That was the point of view I was trying to put out there.

PS (The Cubs better watch out for those Mets, red hot, do need to make a couple moves for a pitcher and outfielder)

tieguy

Banned
Its no different than other supplements that other locals receive.

So is it different or not?

Does chicago have a national and supplemental contract?
Or is it one.

Does the national contract apply to chicago in any way?

Why don't the two chicago locals fall under the national. Why do they insist on being seperate?

topkick

Today July 8th after another round of talks that lasted 30 minutes with little being accomplished it was decided to authorize a secret ballot strike vote. This is to take place July 20th from 9am to 5pm in local 705s auditorium at 1645 w jackson in chicago. This will be open to all seniority local 705 upsers to vote on.

topkick

Today July 8th after another round of talks that lasted 30 minutes with little being accomplished it was decided to authorize a secret ballot strike vote. This is to take place July 20th from 9am to 5pm in local 705s auditorium at 1645 w jackson in chicago. This will be open to all seniority local 705 upsers to vote on.

topkick

A peice of history--- Back in the summer of 1971 us guys of local 177 were out for 5 weeks until 705 settlled with a different type of pay structure. A raise every 4 months for the life of the contract - do you rember?

brownman15

So is it different or not?

yes

Does chicago have a national and supplemental contract?

we have our own contract not part off national

Does the national contract apply to chicago in any way?

no

Why don't the two chicago locals fall under the national. Why do they insist on being seperate?

always been seperate

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What happened to the Tie Guy? His posts are lucid, explicit, inquisitive, and has drawn no ire from anybody today. I even agreed with his summation on negotiation extremes from both sides. Will it last? Has somebody hacked his password? Something is a rye.

705red

Browncafe Steward
why did THEY wait till June? why did YOU wait till june????
You HAD the opportunity to make UPS the biggest ugliest company ever! you could have given them what you wanted in your contract last year when the economy hadnt taken a dump and there was good feelings with the national going well. If they hadnt come to the table you could have played it out in the media and gotten other locals on board.
But no you sat on your thumbs just as much UPS; now you're in the middle of a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: lake without a paddle. You cant debate economics because the economics are shiet, you can't get the national on board because CMON who would be foolish enough to strike in this economy?
Hey atleast theres some good news coming out of Chicago the Cubs are kicking arse and football seasons just around the corner!

Hey maybe were you are from the men dont have stones but in chicago we have enough stones to strike, no matter what the economy is like.
I see ups say that volume is down, well that makes me wonder were? Because here we are busier than this time last year, stops are up and so are 9.5 grievances. Im not talking because routes are being busted, my averagre monday is around 120 125 delivery stops today was 147 and it has been this way for the last several weeks. Ups might be hurting in other parts of the country but not here. This region is the biggest source of revenue for ups nationwide, more packages move through chicago than any other city.

If you remember last november we were on a 72 hour notice to strike as the national was being resolved over ups's arrogance. Atlanta had to fly in the big boys from corporate to defuse what there regional labor manager started. Now this same guy is as arroagant as ever. Maybe its because the guy that calmed things down from atlanta has retired and hes been taken off of his leash, but we will soon find out.

In walking my building this morning and tonight there are mixed views, and I answered everyones questions as best i could. Now its upto them to vote whats best for them and their famiy. Will see sunday.

tieguy

Banned
Hey maybe were you are from the men dont have stones but in chicago we have enough stones to strike, no matter what the economy is like.
I see ups say that volume is down, well that makes me wonder were? Because here we are busier than this time last year, stops are up and so are 9.5 grievances. Im not talking because routes are being busted, my averagre monday is around 120 125 delivery stops today was 147 and it has been this way for the last several weeks. Ups might be hurting in other parts of the country but not here. This region is the biggest source of revenue for ups nationwide, more packages move through chicago than any other city.

If you remember last november we were on a 72 hour notice to strike as the national was being resolved over ups's arrogance. Atlanta had to fly in the big boys from corporate to defuse what there regional labor manager started. Now this same guy is as arroagant as ever. Maybe its because the guy that calmed things down from atlanta has retired and hes been taken off of his leash, but we will soon find out.

In walking my building this morning and tonight there are mixed views, and I answered everyones questions as best i could. Now its upto them to vote whats best for them and their famiy. Will see sunday.

10 percent voting 100 percent to give the union strike authorization?

tieguy

Banned
What happened to the Tie Guy? His posts are lucid, explicit, inquisitive, and has drawn no ire from anybody today. I even agreed with his summation on negotiation extremes from both sides. Will it last? Has somebody hacked his password? Something is a rye.

not recieving any lucid responses. Same response being thats the way its always been done.

My understanding of our labor history is:

negotiations at one time were tied into master freight. teamsters get whatever master freight gets.

then many locals branched off and had their own negotiations.

this led to the 76 strike where much of the east coast was down for 13 weeks.

This led to many being negotiated under a national teamster contract with local supplements.

For some reason Chicago stayed seperate. Why.

Second question red you mentioned how the chicago locals stayed out an extra couple of days in 97. But I also heard those same locals continued working for a couple of days when the rest of the country first went out?

drewed

Shankman

If you remember last november we were on a 72 hour notice to strike as the national was being resolved over ups's arrogance. Atlan:smart:ta had to fly in the big boys from corporate to defuse what there regional labor manager started. Now this same guy is as arroagant as ever. Maybe its because the guy that calmed things down from atlanta has retired and hes been taken off of his leash, but we will soon find out.

Umm wheres the answer to my question?
Domestic volume is down, you cant debate that and the fact that your volume is up; just says people are moving to cities because thats where the jobs are at.
Go ahead and strike I dont care, I wouldnt toot the 705s horn that much; UPS can live on without it.
And one shouldnt question ones testicular fortitude when one doesnt have a brick to stand on...One shouldnt accuse UPS of being arrogant when you havent resolved your own arrogance.

dillweed

Domestic volume is down, you cant debate that and the fact that your volume is up; just says people are moving to cities because thats where the jobs are at.
Go ahead and strike I dont care, I wouldnt toot the 705s horn that much; UPS can live on without it.
And one shouldnt question ones testicular fortitude when one doesnt have a brick to stand on...One shouldnt accuse UPS of being arrogant when you havent resolved your own arrogance.

Drewed, did I misunderstand your post or did you say that UPS can live on without Chicago? :happy-very:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

You have to be kidding.

UPS does not need a strike in Chicago, and that probably will not happen.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm curious if UPS just keeps sliding the same contract the rest of us signed (with minor enhancements)?

I know everyone in Chicago keeps saying that "We've always had our own contract" and "We have seen the faults of the master contract and won't accept them"

I have 3 points on this:

(1) Chicago keeps on using "we" when it should be "us". I know you have you're own contract, but this isn't the time to fight over what Hoffa screwed up on. I predict major labor problems at the end of this contract because Hoffa and his team will try to get back everything they lost on this one (if they are even reelected). Fighting for it all back today isn't a good idea.

(2) Louisville is the keystone of the UPS national empire, not Chicago. I understand more volume goes through Chicago probably. I can see the argument that east meets west in the trainyards of Chicago. BUT all the money and all the revenue sweeps through their city on airplanes. If their local went on strike, that would cripple the company alot faster and harder than Chicago.

(3) I can't see how your 2 locals can't sign the national contract and just have a supplement like other regions. I'm curious why UPS does it this way, or the reasoning behind it. (not accepting it's always been that way as an answer).

I'm just making arguments and will enjoy reading the feedbacks.

705red

Browncafe Steward
not recieving any lucid responses. Same response being thats the way its always been done.

My understanding of our labor history is:

negotiations at one time were tied into master freight. teamsters get whatever master freight gets.

then many locals branched off and had their own negotiations.

this led to the 76 strike where much of the east coast was down for 13 weeks.

This led to many being negotiated under a national teamster contract with local supplements.

For some reason Chicago stayed seperate. Why.

Second question red you mentioned how the chicago locals stayed out an extra couple of days in 97. But I also heard those same locals continued working for a couple of days when the rest of the country first went out?

Tie in 97 705 walked out with the national at the same time that sunday night. 710 for some reason did not go on strike, probably due to bad leadership at the time. 705 had to put up picket lines at these 710 buildings in the chicago area and others locals did the same across the midwest. If 710 did work i couldnt have been for more than a day. 710 upsers honored all picket lines that were put up.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm curious if UPS just keeps sliding the same contract the rest of us signed (with minor enhancements)?

I know everyone in Chicago keeps saying that "We've always had our own contract" and "We have seen the faults of the master contract and won't accept them"

I have 3 points on this:

(1) Chicago keeps on using "we" when it should be "us". I know you have you're own contract, but this isn't the time to fight over what Hoffa screwed up on. I predict major labor problems at the end of this contract because Hoffa and his team will try to get back everything they lost on this one (if they are even reelected). Fighting for it all back today isn't a good idea.

As you can see the contracts proposed to us does not even mirror the national to this point, its a worse contract that you you guys/gals have received.

(2) Louisville is the keystone of the UPS national empire, not Chicago. I understand more volume goes through Chicago probably. I can see the argument that east meets west in the trainyards of Chicago. BUT all the money and all the revenue sweeps through their city on airplanes. If their local went on strike, that would cripple the company alot faster and harder than Chicago.

Louisville is the main air hub for next day airs. The rockford area here deals with alot of 2nd day airs, while our cach facility has over 6000 teamsters working there. The rail yards here are union to and they would not unload or load struck goods making it next to impossible for packages to get in or out.

(3) I can't see how your 2 locals can't sign the national contract and just have a supplement like other regions. I'm curious why UPS does it this way, or the reasoning behind it. (not accepting it's always been that way as an answer).

I'm just making arguments and will enjoy reading the feedbacks.

I will try and find out exactly why we are seperate and get back to you tonight sometime.

705red

Browncafe Steward

705 just does not deliver to the big city chicago. We cover alot of ground and deliver to small towns were the volume here is not down. If it wasnt from reading this site i would think ups is having another great year and growing. But some of you say that your down in volume and all i was saying is we are not.

You have never said what you do with this company? What is you job? Clearly your hands have no idea what your brain is doing by your last sentence alone!

Theres times in life when men need to be men and do whats right. You might not agree that the vote is called for, but what else should the union do? Work without a contract for months?

I spoke of a couple ups people being arrogant not the company ups! Slow down when you read big boy talk as not to confuse yourself!