Strike authorization vote for 705

ups79

Tie in 97 705 walked out with the national at the same time that sunday night. 710 for some reason did not go on strike, probably due to bad leadership at the time. 705 had to put up picket lines at these 710 buildings in the chicago area and others locals did the same across the midwest. If 710 did work i couldnt have been for more than a day. 710 upsers honored all picket lines that were put up.

Not all 710 upsers honored all picket lines that were put up.

tieguy

Banned
Tie in 97 705 walked out with the national at the same time that sunday night. 710 for some reason did not go on strike, probably due to bad leadership at the time. 705 had to put up picket lines at these 710 buildings in the chicago area and others locals did the same across the midwest. If 710 did work i couldnt have been for more than a day. 710 upsers honored all picket lines that were put up.

thought I heard that. was kind of busy at the time for some reason.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
As you can see the contracts proposed to us does not even mirror the national to this point, its a worse contract that you you guys/gals have received.

Not sure . You have some interesting wording in yours. Some of it sounds like ups gave the ship away. then other language sounds like its weaker. Your debate about the 22.3's is a non issue here.

brownman15

I'm curious if UPS just keeps sliding the same contract the rest of us signed (with minor enhancements)?

no

I have 3 points on this:

(1) Chicago keeps on using "we" when it should be "us". I know you have you're own contract, but this isn't the time to fight over what Hoffa screwed up on. I predict major labor problems at the end of this contract because Hoffa and his team will try to get back everything they lost on this one (if they are even reelected). Fighting for it all back today isn't a good idea.

hoffa is not negotiating this contract 705 negotiates it own contract

705red

Browncafe Steward
As you can see the contracts proposed to us does not even mirror the national to this point, its a worse contract that you you guys/gals have received.

Not sure . You have some interesting wording in yours. Some of it sounds like ups gave the ship away. then other language sounds like its weaker. Your debate about the 22.3's is a non issue here.

Ups wants to go to an oncall feeder list here in 705. Problem with this is it takes about 14 years to make it to feeder, so now you have to give up your 40 hour guarantee in package to sit at home and hope you get called. Not going to happen!

Ups wants to eliminate competion language, which will allow ups freight and other ups companies to do our work.

ups wants to switch the language addressing the work week as monday through friday to any 5 days in a 7 day period.

Under fmla ups will allow you to return to your job if its still there and you have not been replaced, so you could lose your regular position? NO

Ups now wants seniority to be determined by continous service, so if your on disability or workmans comp you can lose your seniority.

It goes on tie, our most outragous request was 10x your pay rate penalty pay for sups working.

Research it yourself.

there is a no strike clause in our contract (710)

705red

Browncafe Steward

Tie ups encourages us to do our best and represent the shield to the best of our ability. Yet they (chicago, atlanta) cant show the same sense of urgency when it comes to this contract, they expect us to work with on a day in and day out basis. Ups should practice what they preach to the back bone of this company, the employees and lead by example.

Ups wants to go to an oncall feeder list here in 705. Problem with this is it takes about 14 years to make it to feeder, so now you have to give up your 40 hour guarantee in package to sit at home and hope you get called. Not going to happen!

What do you mean when you say on call feeder list because in 710 anyone who goes to feeder either from the outside or from inside has to go to the bottom of the list and the only people that are guaranteed 40 hours are people that have bid runs. I know this because im still on call and it sucks, sometimes i get a vacation run for the week and sometimes i sit by the phone and never get called in. We can work inside loading trailers but we dont get paid the same rate as a driver.

Is it not like that now in 705?

55andout?

So is it different or not?

Does chicago have a national and supplemental contract?
Or is it one.

Does the national contract apply to chicago in any way?

Why don't the two chicago locals fall under the national. Why do they insist on being seperate?
Tie, you can only vote one time on the national contract. That is not the Chicago way when it comes to voting on anything. Here you can vote early and often, legal or illegal and my favorite, dead or alive. I believe that is why the locals are seperate from the national. That and they always like to add a few things just to make them feel special.

Hey and just asking, have any of you guys ever talked with Gerald Zero? Wow! That was an experience not worth repeating.:wink2:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Ups wants to eliminate competion language, which will allow ups freight and other ups companies to do our work.

ups wants to switch the language addressing the work week as monday through friday to any 5 days in a 7 day period.

Under fmla ups will allow you to return to your job if its still there and you have not been replaced, so you could lose your regular position? NO

Ups now wants seniority to be determined by continous service, so if your on disability or workmans comp you can lose your seniority.

It goes on tie, our most outragous request was 10x your pay rate penalty pay for sups working.

Research it yourself.

From reading this, it does sound like UPS is trying to change words around to give themselves an advantage. That whole post about (will and shall) in the other forum sums it up perfect.
I would never even of thought of changing mon-fri workweek into 5 consecutive days out of 7

Keep fighting the fight and keep us posted 705red

Let's hope UPS brings more labor negotiators and less english teachers to your next session:cigarsmoker:

drewed

Shankman

Research it yourself.

And none of that sounds unreasonable, except for the 10x for sup working. because that is really up to interpretation for what working is...im training a new employee showing him how to load a can, and 20 people grieve it because the 20 mins i spent with him is 80 bucks in their pocket (in their mind atleast) it would cause way too many frivilous grievances
if you go pt to driver you sit on the bench for awhile, do you not? why would you think you wouldnt do it in feeders?

You cant bitch about having a PB delivery the size of a couch, when the company has the larger box trucks to do it, and you dont want them to use them.

alot of drivers dont expierence this but up here most of our 22.3s arent monday through friday, some have split days off (per bid choice) and non of them complain about it

and it should be continous service, if youre on disablity you shouldnt be gaining senority and you shouldnt be losing it either and since most fts are month apart in seniority its a non issue

705red

Browncafe Steward
What do you mean when you say on call feeder list because in 710 anyone who goes to feeder either from the outside or from inside has to go to the bottom of the list and the only people that are guaranteed 40 hours are people that have bid runs. I know this because im still on call and it sucks, sometimes i get a vacation run for the week and sometimes i sit by the phone and never get called in. We can work inside loading trailers but we dont get paid the same rate as a driver.

Is it not like that now in 705?

When you go feeder in 705 you do not go onto an on call list, typically you will driver everyday. You are not in the top 90% but our language allows you to bid the same start time for the week.

The problem i hear from 710 you cant bid out of your building into feeder and not every building has feeder work which leads to hiring off of the street for 710 feeder drivers

705red

Browncafe Steward
And none of that sounds unreasonable, except for the 10x for sup working. because that is really up to interpretation for what working is...im training a new employee showing him how to load a can, and 20 people grieve it because the 20 mins i spent with him is 80 bucks in their pocket (in their mind atleast) it would cause way too many frivilous grievances

Every piece of that garbage is unreasonable! Now on to training if you are training and the rookie is working at the same time you are, that is a grievance! If your training than the rookie watches, when the rookie is working than your watching/training.

if you go pt to driver you sit on the bench for awhile, do you not? why would you think you wouldnt do it in feeders?

Not here you dont, you are giving a training route to train on for your 1st forty days, typically.

You cant bitch about having a PB delivery the size of a couch, when the company has the larger box trucks to do it, and you dont want them to use them.

Why not let ups freight steal all of our business and do the work for less than what we get paid? that sounds like good job protection. Anyone remember in 82 when the ptime wage was cut down? Ups started to get rid of the higher paid ptimers and used the cheaper labor.

alot of drivers dont expierence this but up here most of our 22.3s arent monday through friday, some have split days off (per bid choice) and non of them complain about it

We have a tuesday through saturday shift but you need to bid it, the new language could force us to work any 5 days in a 7 day period. So now if we take an rlo or call in sick on one of those days and then work what would be pur 6th day its at straight time.

and it should be continous service, if youre on disablity you shouldnt be gaining senority and you shouldnt be losing it either and since most fts are month apart in seniority its a non issue

Your hire date is your seniority date. The date you started working here is the date you started working on your vacation weeks, now if your off you could lose all of this.

As i can see you are a ptime sup so i wont beat on you to bad because you have no concept of what fair is. Keep attending those brainwashing classes that ups forces you to and every thing will work itself out.

drewed

Shankman
Your hire date is your seniority date. The date you started working here is the date you started working on your vacation weeks, now if your off you could lose all of this.

As i can see you are a ptime sup so i wont beat on you to bad because you have no concept of what fair is. Keep attending those brainwashing classes that ups forces you to and every thing will work itself out.

you keep going to yours at the union hall, ill keep going to mine and we'll see how far this contract goes :D

browned out

Don't be scared 705!!! Be resolute!!! You have a chance to do what the rest of us failed to do and stand against a BAD CONTRACT. UPS cannot and will not tolerate (or withstand) a strike. You have the HAMMER!

Get the improvements that we should have received. DHL is on pace to lose a billion dollars this year after losing 900 million last year. Now they are shipping air on UPS planes. Fed Ex ground is not in much better shape. Airborne and Emery are long gone. As I have stated before we are in a duopoly with FedEx as our only major competitor. The economy is faltering but somehow my route still goes out with 150 stops in the same area without splits.

705red

Browncafe Steward
ok bye have fun! i hear the winters in chicago are rough, i hope you have enough saved up to keep your utilties on!:surprised:
This is the problem with this company right now, from smug little ptime sups who think they know everything to our new ceo never working for ups. This company was founded on the hard work and people were promoted from within. Now you have little ptime sups with acne cream on their face forcing their power on ptimers making 8.50 and talking down to the employees. Put in for a transfer and come here to chicago and see how far you will get acting like the big dog.