Suspension

BigBrown609

So yesterday I had 2 packages and a call tag for a school. I got a signature and the pickup wasn't ready so I put that in as NR2. I stop completed it at 1:01. Today my supervisor suspends me for a day and says we now have to put in businesses in "give or take 10 minutes before and after the window." We exchanged some words and then my shop steward told him to do what he has to do and we'll grieve it. So I went home and got a call from a different supervisor. He apologized, said mistakes were made, and said my suspension was rescinded lol. He then said if I wanted to work I could come in and they'd find something for me. I told him no and my BA said we're grieving for lost wages. There's really no question here, just wanted to share the story with everyone.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So yesterday I had 2 packages and a call tag for a school. I got a signature and the pickup wasn't ready so I put that in as NR2. I stop completed it at 1:01. Today my supervisor suspends me for a day and says we now have to put in businesses in "give or take 10 minutes before and after the window." We exchanged some words and then my shop steward told him to do what he has to do and we'll grieve it. So I went home and got a call from a different supervisor. He apologized, said mistakes were made, and said my suspension was rescinded lol. He then said if I wanted to work I could come in and they'd find something for me. I told him no and my BA said we're grieving for lost wages. There's really no question here, just wanted to share the story with everyone.
By refusing to go back in to work I would say your chances of getting paid are slim.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think your BA is wrong. you were offered work and you refused. the 2nd boss sounded fair. if he apologized that's "BREAKING NEWS" he'll probably be fired for it.

if you get paid , that's great but I don't see it.

BigBrown609

By refusing to go back in to work I would say your chances of getting paid are slim.
Also, what refusal to work? I showed up in the morning on time and ready to work. They sent me home against my will. I don't see a refusal anywhere. Because they realized they were wrong and I'd get paid for it anyway they call me back and apologize and offer work after I've made arrangements to watch my kids, that's refusing work?

Brownslave688

Also, what refusal to work? I showed up in the morning on time and ready to work. They sent me home against my will. I don't see a refusal anywhere. Because they realized they were wrong and I'd get paid for it anyway they call me back and apologize and offer work after I've made arrangements to watch my kids, that's refusing work?
Yep.

Time frame plays into it a little bit here also. How long after til they called you back.

oldngray

nowhere special
You would win if there was a warning letter or any other disciplinary action taken against you but apparently UPS realized they were wrong and offered to let you work. You said no. Nothing negative goes in your record but you don't get paid for that day. It would just be an unpaid day off.

By The Book

Did you punch in?, and we're you on the start schedule? If so, let your BA take care of it. They sent you home, it's on them. It's refreshing to hear that a BA has some stones.

oldngray

nowhere special
They unjustly suspended him and sent him home. They cant turn around and "offer" him work hours later in order to avoid paying a grievance.

The timing is important. How long was it before UPS told him he could work? It sounds like an incompetent sup made a mistake and his bosses immediately tried to correct it.

Brownslave688

The timing is important. How long was it before UPS told him he could work? It sounds like an incompetent sup made a mistake and his bosses immediately tried to correct it.
Yeah if they called him within half an hour I would say he's SOL. If it was 3 hours later that's different.

Also if he had said well give me 10 minutes to see if I can find someone to watch the kids. That would of given the impression that he wanted to work.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They always tell you not to sheet business closed until 1:01. Now they make up a 1:10 rule and suspend you? Fools. How are we supposed to keep up with rules that change on a whim?