Suspension

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by BigBrown609, Aug 13, 2015.

1. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

So yesterday I had 2 packages and a call tag for a school. I got a signature and the pickup wasn't ready so I put that in as NR2. I stop completed it at 1:01. Today my supervisor suspends me for a day and says we now have to put in businesses in "give or take 10 minutes before and after the window." We exchanged some words and then my shop steward told him to do what he has to do and we'll grieve it. So I went home and got a call from a different supervisor. He apologized, said mistakes were made, and said my suspension was rescinded lol. He then said if I wanted to work I could come in and they'd find something for me. I told him no and my BA said we're grieving for lost wages. There's really no question here, just wanted to share the story with everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

By refusing to go back in to work I would say your chances of getting paid are slim.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Work now. Grieve later.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

I had already made arrangements to watch my kids by the time they called. I told them and the BA that. He said I'll get my back pay.

5. Brownslave688

If your BA is on your side you stand a fighting chance.

I can tell you exactly what my BA would say. "They offered you work and you refused. Sorry"

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

I think your BA is wrong. you were offered work and you refused. the 2nd boss sounded fair. if he apologized that's "BREAKING NEWS" he'll probably be fired for it.

if you get paid , that's great but I don't see it.

7. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

Also, what refusal to work? I showed up in the morning on time and ready to work. They sent me home against my will. I don't see a refusal anywhere. Because they realized they were wrong and I'd get paid for it anyway they call me back and apologize and offer work after I've made arrangements to watch my kids, that's refusing work?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Brownslave688

Yep.

Time frame plays into it a little bit here also. How long after til they called you back.

9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

You would win if there was a warning letter or any other disciplinary action taken against you but apparently UPS realized they were wrong and offered to let you work. You said no. Nothing negative goes in your record but you don't get paid for that day. It would just be an unpaid day off.

10. Brownslave688

Your taking into account your personal life when it doesn't matter to ups.

They offered you work. You didn't take it.

END OF STORY

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Did you punch in?, and we're you on the start schedule? If so, let your BA take care of it. They sent you home, it's on them. It's refreshing to hear that a BA has some stones.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. JohnE1224

JohnE1224 New Member

Nevermind

13. ski or die

ski or die Ski or Die

They sent me home once for dress code. Went home and went back to bed. Grieved it, and won without any problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

They unjustly suspended him and sent him home. They cant turn around and "offer" him work hours later in order to avoid paying a grievance.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  15. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

What kind of dress was it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The timing is important. How long was it before UPS told him he could work? It sounds like an incompetent sup made a mistake and his bosses immediately tried to correct it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Brownslave688

Yeah if they called him within half an hour I would say he's SOL. If it was 3 hours later that's different.

Also if he had said well give me 10 minutes to see if I can find someone to watch the kids. That would of given the impression that he wanted to work.

18. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

did you have an earring in your nose?

19. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

They always tell you not to sheet business closed until 1:01. Now they make up a 1:10 rule and suspend you? Fools. How are we supposed to keep up with rules that change on a whim?

20. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

And here I thought the OP broke a spring or shock absorber or something.