The Financial Cliff

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Mine will go up around 120 if nothing is done. Worst case I move some precentages around on my 401k from Roth to traditional if it works out to be a strain. Either that or I can work 3 more hours OT a week and keep everything the same.

40 and out

It needs to go over the cliff. These people we elected both Dem and Rep need to get a clue....

The only way they will ever get a clue is to throw their butts out of office which is what we should do to everyone who allows this to happen. Their only priority is to get re-elected and keep their perks and power. Nothing else matters to them.

klein

Für Meno :)
Mine will go up around 120 if nothing is done. Worst case I move some precentages around on my 401k from Roth to traditional if it works out to be a strain. Either that or I can work 3 more hours OT a week and keep everything the same.

Well, your 401 will lose about 45%, too.
Back into recession, 8000 Dow !
$45 UPS shares, again.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
As far as milk goes, it's not the sugar in it that the culprit, milk spikes your insulin. So if you have sugary cereal with milk, all the sugar and insulin goes straight to fat. You can have milk if you have a high metabolism. Or if you like grapefruit. Don't know why, but grapefruit keeps insulin in check pretty well. Too bad it doesn't taste like oranges...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
As far as the cliff goes, this isn't the first time it's been like this and it's not the first time it's been hyped like this. The rich senators don't want to pay the higher taxes so they'll cave in and raise the ceiling like they do every time. I wish they'd go through the foreign military budget. We really don't need to rebuild palaces and have the vast majority of our troops patrolling places that don't need us. I'm all for having a high military budget, but I'd rather it get spent here. Put them fellers to work building dikes for New Orleans so we don't have to rescue them every 20 years. Have them patrol borders and schools. Money well spent that way.

klein

As far as milk goes, it's not the sugar in it that the culprit, milk spikes your insulin. So if you have sugary cereal with milk, all the sugar and insulin goes straight to fat. You can have milk if you have a high metabolism. Or if you like grapefruit. Don't know why, but grapefruit keeps insulin in check pretty well. Too bad it doesn't taste like oranges...

Listen, I have never been told about not drinking milk , so what it contains roughly 4.8% lactose.

Gee, peas or carrots contain probably just as much , or almost any fruit for that matter !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Listen, I have never been told about not drinking milk , and what moreluck wrote is a total lie ! Milk contains 12.5% lactose (milk sugar) or 12.5 grams per kg (less than 12.5 grams in 1 quart ! Not per cup ) !!!!

She got grams and percentage mixed up - but, not knowing what a gram is, does that !

Gee, peas or carrots contain more sugar than milk , or almost any fruit for that matter !

You need to study up a bit more there klein.

It's not just that lactose is a sugar but it is a "simple sugar" which means it is absorbed into the blood stream very fast, causes the blood sugar level to peak quickly and causes a huge release of insulin by the body. This causes the formation of cholesterol in the blood stream leading to atherosclerosis and putting stress on the liver. Diabetics are warned about drinking milk just as they are fruits, juices, bread, starches, etc. for these reasons.
The UK and New Zealand governments have been in the forefront of these studies and warnings. The Canadian and US governments have lagged behind due to the lobbying of dairy and food groups (look up ADM and lobbying). The food groups and dietary recommendations in the US and CA are based on 1950's knowledge around which a huge industry has evolved.

klein

You need to study up a bit more there klein.

It's not just that lactose is a sugar but it is a "simple sugar" which means it is absorbed into the blood stream very fast, causes the blood sugar level to peak quickly and causes a huge release of insulin by the body. This causes the formation of cholesterol in the blood stream leading to atherosclerosis and putting stress on the liver. Diabetics are warned about drinking milk just as they are fruits, juices, bread, starches, etc. for these reasons.
The UK and New Zealand governments have been in the forefront of these studies and warnings. The Canadian and US governments have lagged behind due to the lobbying of dairy and food groups (look up ADM and lobbying). The food groups and dietary recommendations in the US and CA are based on 1950's knowledge around which a huge industry has evolved.

[h=3]Milk Consumption in Adults[/h]Epidemiological data about a relationship between milk consumption and type 2 diabetes are rare. A large study on animal product consumption and mortality related to different diseases was carried out in a cohort of Seventh-day Adventists in California [100]. Adventists are prohibited from using tobacco, alcoholic beverages and pork and are discouraged from consuming other meats, fish, eggs and caffeine-containing beverages, but milk consumption is promoted. Therefore, their nutrition is characterized by a substantially lower consumption of meat and eggs, but higher consumption of milk, associated with a lower intake of total and saturated fat, but higher intake of polyunsaturated fats than that of non-Adventists. In Adventists, mortality and incidence of diabetes (as well as of other diseases) were lower than in the control group, whereas meat consumption was positively associated with diabetes-related mortality in males.

most of our foods do provide us with natural or “hidden” sugars but avoiding dairy products is like a crime to the body. Milk and milk products are like elixir to the body. It has been proved that consuming low fat dairy products can help to reduce insulin resistance, than those who were avoiding dairy. The sugar present in milk products are lactose, which is also known as milk sugar, is said to be converted to blood sugar relatively slowly. This can help in blood sugar control and also help in reducing insulin resistance. (Pic showing a smart lady sipping on milk)
The protein present in milk too will fill you up and will prevent mid meal binges. If you are overweight, then you can opt for fat free milk products, but if your weight is under control, then you can opt for low fat milk, where the fat content is less than 2% of fat. The fat too will keep you satisfied and hence milk products can work as good snacks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Well, your 401 will lose about 45%, too.
Back into recession, 8000 Dow !
$45 UPS shares, again.
Dollar cost averaging means you buy when it goes down also. Stocks are already on sale because of mentalities like yours, I just increased my position in one on Friday.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Will pay $40 per week more due to the expiration of the payroll tax holiday. Cannot know for sure until the new tax tables are issued by the IRS, but am assuming I will also pay around $70 per week extra due to the loss of the 10% income bracket. Capital gains increase should have almost no effect as I have sold most stocks as planned and will repurchase them after the first of the year. But fear not! This do nothing congress has made sure that they will get their pay raise this spring.

Returntosender

8330050128_e3a93b2728.jpg