Tier 3 Accident

Deck Dog

I was recently in a Tier 3 accident, but before I get into that. I would just like to state that I was through my entire route, completely back at our center and ready to punch out. Someone in our management team asked me to go help another individual, I still had'nt taken my hour lunch break and was disappointed to be asked to this, but I was basically sent out to get an envelope that was next day that wasnt going to reach the bldg in time to make the trailor pull for the air. Without getting into two much detail, I got into a tier 3 accident on my way to pick up this NDA envelope. Now I am suspended until further notice basically, they wont even let me come in and work on the local sort until this investigation is over with. Hopefully some of you been through this and can give me advice on what I should be doing during my suspension to prepare for this panel, because this is not going to only effect my life but also the life of my family. PLEASE HELP!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What does going to get the air have to do with anything. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would of say down and taken my hour lunch when asked to go back out. As far as panel goes write down exactly what happened and just read off that sheet of paper.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A lot depends on your past history. Assuming you didn't kill anybody or t-bone a school bus, as long as your record is clean and you've been a good employee you'll be ok, they will probably bring you back at the local level hearing with a time served suspension.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is standard procedure to take you out of service while they investigate the accident. I agree w/Jones in that it will most likely be a time served suspension without pay. I disagree with brownslave--you did the right thing by trying to make service on the NDA envelope. Good luck to you.

DorkHead

Welcome to BC. Sorry to hear this. Are you full time? Do you have seniority? If so, you could have declined as long as there was someone with less seniority on the clock and in the building when you were asked. Otherwise, you work as directed.
Suspension is normal for a T3 accident. Was a Police report filled out? You need to talk with your Union Steward. There is a lot at stake here. Keep us updated.

Barry Gaines

What supplement do you work under? I was taken out of service when I was hit head on by a drunk driver going the wrong way on an interstate. Here if they take you out of service they have to give you your guarantee at your normal rate of pay. Inside of course, preload, local sort, etc. They didn't allow me to work but I received back pay for the time off after I filed grievance.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would look at it as a mini-vacation. Go hunting, if you do that. Have nooners with you significant other. Have sausage and eggs for breakfast everyday. Freaking spoil yourself.

Then figure out what the hell you were doing being 'ready to punch out, but did not take your 1 hour lunch.' Because that just screams, "I am an idiot."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would look at it as a mini-vacation. Go hunting, if you do that. Have nooners with you significant other. Have sausage and eggs for breakfast everyday. Freaking spoil yourself.

This is made much easier if you have employment insurance.
It is never an easy process, but it is much easier when you take money out of the equation.

over9five

Staff member

Then figure out what the hell you were doing being 'ready to punch out, but did not take your 1 hour lunch.' Because that just screams, "I am an idiot."
To me it screams "runner and gunner", but I still wish the OP well.

UPSGUY72

I was recently in a Tier 3 accident, but before I get into that. I would just like to state that I was through my entire route, completely back at our center and ready to punch out. Someone in our management team asked me to go help another individual, I still had'nt taken my hour lunch break and was disappointed to be asked to this, but I was basically sent out to get an envelope that was next day that wasnt going to reach the bldg in time to make the trailor pull for the air. Without getting into two much detail, I got into a tier 3 accident on my way to pick up this NDA envelope. Now I am suspended until further notice basically, they wont even let me come in and work on the local sort until this investigation is over with. Hopefully some of you been through this and can give me advice on what I should be doing during my suspension to prepare for this panel, because this is not going to only effect my life but also the life of my family. PLEASE HELP!

Was it your fault ??? or a unavoidable, You had to have hit a car from in the rear or someone or got into an accident at a intersection.

If you hit someone or something and or you were at fault, what does it matter that you were back at the building ready to punch out with or without your lunch. You should be driving safely regardless. I hope everyone is OK that was involved in any case. If you were not at fault it still does not matter that you were ready to punch out without a lunch....just extremely unlucky. There is a driver in my building that had his package car hit while at a stop sign by a teenage girl on a bike going down a hill with no brakes and it was not his fault at all even though they said he should have seen her and adjusted accordingly. I believe that was considered a Tier 3.

UPSGUY72

Give me details of accident before I have opinion

That ain't going to happen it was his fault. He was in a hurry he already finished his route and was back a the building without taking his lunch ready to punch out and they told him he had to go pick up a NDA. Details aren't going to paint a pretty picture for the OP or he would have gave the details out already.

He'll get his job back in time if he wants it he needs to call his BA and get the ball rolling...