Trouble in Calgary

wadep

It's not the cost of living thats killing us in Alberta. Gas is still under a buck a litre, housing is just about peaked right now, with the average 3 bedroom NEW home starting at 347,000. It's the lack of bodies that's killing us. With a 3% unemployment rate Alberta wide, where as the national average is a shade over 6%. Send the bodies, we'll put them to work. Thereason Tim Hortons starting wage is 16 an hour, Boston Pizza or pretty much any other resteraunt job is 12 an hour, is that they're trying to lure employees into their fold. Heck even 7-11 has a 700 sign up bonus and starting wage at 15 bucks an hour, but a slurpee is still under a buck.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
With a 3% unemployment rate Alberta wide, where as the national average is a shade over 6%.

Denver hasn't gotten this desperate (that I'm aware of) but the unemployment rate a year ago was LOW. I remember this past Summer, we hired 30 new people in 6 weeks. All but two were gone at the end of the 6 weeks. The benefits weren't the problem. People could (and did) get a much better paying job that required significantly less physical labor. I wasn't in the position--financially--to leave UPS. When I found a job that did put me in that position, I tipped my hat. The $$ isn't everything but its important. -Rocky