UPS can't compete because of high labor costs?

22.34life

is it just me or does everyone on this thread seem to think that everybody at ups makes $30/hr?the vast majority of employees at ups are part time and make less then $20 grand/yr.the only people at ups who have it good are FULL TIME EMPLOYEES,which there are few compared to the part time work force at ups.only package car drivers/feeder drivers make $30/hr.so where do all these OH SO HIGH LABOR COST come from?and its not like every driver on the road is making $30/hr either,its a 2 1/2 year progression to get that pay rate.now lets look at the managment side of it,again dominated by part time employees,of all the managment probably only 25% are full time.so it seems clear to me that ups is making it just fine.

Delivery Girl

"While CEO of UPS in 2008, D. Scott Davis earned a total compensation of $5,168,664, which included a base salary of $960,000, a cash bonus of $176,944, stocks granted of $3,564,087, options granted of $437,619, and other compensation of $30,014"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Davis_(businessman)

Ya, we're hurting bad as a company...I bet if Scott Davis only made $2 million, he could still pay his bills and save the company $3mil.

"Focus on profits, and we're sure to fail. Focus on our people and our customers, and the profits will come." - Jim Casey

When you're running the company based on numbers; service and safety become disregarded.

Cram the trucks, get the stops off don't waste any time! Where's the customer service come in? I'm embarrassed delivering some boxes that have just been crammed through and into my truck
When you don't care about your employees and the fact that they may have personal plans after work that had to be canceled because, oh, another 10 hour day, then the employees start to care less about their job and especially their boss.

It is not safe to be working as hard as we do day in and day out for the long run. I don't mind giving a fair day of work for 8 hours, after that, I'm in conservation mode.

bellesmom

is it just me or does everyone on this thread seem to think that everybody at ups makes $30/hr?the vast majority of employees at ups are part time and make less then $20 grand/yr.the only people at ups who have it good are FULL TIME EMPLOYEES,which there are few compared to the part time work force at ups.only package car drivers/feeder drivers make $30/hr.so where do all these OH SO HIGH LABOR COST come from?and its not like every driver on the road is making $30/hr either,its a 2 1/2 year progression to get that pay rate.now lets look at the managment side of it,again dominated by part time employees,of all the managment probably only 25% are full time.so it seems clear to me that ups is making it just fine.

Glad you brought this up, I was thinking the same. I am full-time but a 22.3 and surely don't make $30 an hour with 19 years in.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Glad you brought this up, I was thinking the same. I am full-time but a 22.3 and surely don't make $30 an hour with 19 years in.

UPS= large profits in recession and now probably nearing record profits 4th Q of 2010. That's all anyone really needs to know about the cost of labor.

P.S. nice avatar

over9five

Staff member
"While CEO of UPS in 2008, D. Scott Davis earned a total compensation of $5,168,664, which included a base salary of $960,000, a cash bonus of $176,944, stocks granted of $3,564,087, options granted of $437,619, and other compensation of $30,014"

Ya, we're hurting bad as a company...I bet if Scott Davis only made $2 million, he could still pay his bills and save the company $3mil.

"Focus on profits, and we're sure to fail. Focus on our people and our customers, and the profits will come." - Jim Casey

When you're running the company based on numbers; service and safety become disregarded.

Cram the trucks, get the stops off don't waste any time! Where's the customer service come in? I'm embarrassed delivering some boxes that have just been crammed through and into my truck
When you don't care about your employees and the fact that they may have personal plans after work that had to be canceled because, oh, another 10 hour day, then the employees start to care less about their job and especially their boss.

It is not safe to be working as hard as we do day in and day out for the long run. I don't mind giving a fair day of work for 8 hours, after that, I'm in conservation mode.

+100.

Welcome to BrownCafe, Delivery Girl!

clueless

Ya, we're hurting bad as a company...I bet if Scott Davis only made $2 million, he could still pay his bills and save the company $3mil

Pulling the numbers from the actual and current SEC filings instead of outdated information on wikipedia--and doing so for all the top executives, not just Mr. Davis--you will find that total executive compensation amounts to less than one-third of 1% of total revenues--$14.5 million in executive compensation vs. a top line of $45.3 billion (with a 'B') IOW--if all the executives worked for free, it still wouldn't make a dent in the compensation/benefits line item (which is 57% of revenues)--or any of the other costs, for that matter.

iowa boy

I guess my only response to that is ups management know what they are doing........ What do you think........ This should be good

UPS management knows what they are doing? :surprise: When did this start?:rofl:
You have to be speaking of the upper echolons of this company as my management team doesn't know.....well you get the idea.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, when he's not busy making sure his kids will never have to drive a hyundai .

Here's a thought. Just how many CEO's are worth anywhere near what they are paid relative to the decisions they make? There are plenty who have run their companies straight into the ground and still been paid huge money while their organization lost billions. You could hire a chimp at one banana per day to throw his poop at a decision chart and he (the chimp) probably would have done a better job than many of them.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I think UPS is doing just fine .To qoute Mo from Goodfella's " Henry I want my money"

WSJ: UPS Raises Outlook as Profit Jumps

October 21, 2010: United Parcel Service Inc. reported an 81% surge in third-quarter profit and raised its 2010 financial forecast amid what the shipping giant called a lethargic economic recovery.
"We think that even with a modest-growth economy we can show good expansion in revenue and earnings," Chief Financial Officer Kurt Kuehn said during an interview.
Predications by economists earlier in the year that the recovery would gain steam don't appear to have panned out, Mr. Kuehn said, although he stressed that the broad economy is still growing slowly. "We actually see the core performance of the economy to be very stable," he said.
Shares in Atlanta-based UPS were up 16 cents at $69.81 on the New York Stock Exchange at midday.
As a diversified transportation company that moves goods as diverse as documents and building materials, UPS, along with FedEx Corp., is considered a barometer of the health of the U.S. economy.
UPS said Thursday that it expects fourth-quarter U.S. domestic package volume to be up 1.5% to 2% overall, which would mark a slowdown from 3.6% growth in the third quarter, compared with the year-earlier period.
Still, Mr. Kuehn said that the fourth-quarter comparison will be negatively affected this year by the addition of an extra, low-volume working day between Christmas and New Year's. Excluding the anomaly, the year-over-year growth rate is likely to be similar to the third quarter, he said.
UPS said its international export volume is likely to rise by a single-digit percentage in the fourth quarter, compared with a year earlier, after climbing 13% in the third quarter.
The company attributed the expected slowdown mainly to comparisons with the big gains that it has been recording. Asian exports rose 34% in the third quarter, for instance, after climbing 40% in the second quarter.
"There's a little bit of tempering in the rate of growth," but the figures are still strong, Mr. Kuehn said.
He and Chief Executive Scott Davis also said they think the traditional peak preholiday shipping season still may have some juice left, which would benefit the fourth-quarter shipping numbers. Some industry analysts have said peak season came early this year, because retailers opted to stock up early to avoid last-minute delays.
But UPS said customer inventories appear to be low. "If there is reasonable [consumer] demand, then we think that there should be a pretty good result" in terms of increased freight, Mr. Kuehn said.
UPS reported a third-quarter profit of $991 million, or 99 cents a share, up from $549 million, or 55 cents a share, a year earlier. Excluding a $109 million gain on the sale of real estate, earnings would have been 93 cents a share in the latest quarter. Revenue rose 9.3% to $12.19 billion.
Operating margin jumped to 13.3% from 8.3% as average daily volume rose 4.9%.
The company also raised its 2010 earnings outlook, to a range of $3.48 to $3.54 a share from $3.35 to $3.45.
UPS also announced that it will "ramp up" its share repurchases next year, and said it plans to reinstate 401(k) matches that it had halted as a cost-saving measure amid the downturn.
Mr. Kuehn also said the company is on the lookout for acquisitions, citing the health-care logistics sector in particular but adding that the company might make deals in other areas as well. "We certainly have the balance sheet" for acquisitions, Mr. Kuehn said.
UPS said its U.S. package revenue climbed 6.1% in the third quarter, as the unit's profit jumped 98%. In its international-packages segment, revenue increased 11% and profit climbed 34%.

deleted9

It is not safe to be working as hard as we do day in and day out for the long run. I DON'T MIND GIVING A FAIR DAY OF WORK FOR 8 HOURS, AFTER THAT, I'M IN CONSERVATION MODE.

Not real smart posting dishonesty on a public forum

rod

Retired 22 years
this is just for you upstate

[video=youtube;cg2AezJo8aQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2AezJo8aQ[/video]

rushfan

I love those who say they would do this job for less money. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I'm tired of those posters who are "doomsdayers" I've got 20 more with UPS and I'm out. 10 years ago, I heard how UPS wasn't going to survive. What keeps us ahead in the ball game is innovation, creativity, and an "overpaid" (those people who say that have no idea) workforce who gives a damn.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
UPS is your employer. they owe you nothing more than that.

UPS making profits keeps you employed. It's no secret that our drivers are the best in the iundustry and paid that way. It's for that reason that your trucks are packed and routes are cut. If we didn't pack the truck, we would not make a profit. UPS wont send half filled trucks on the road, we can't afford it.

fedex can. go work for them.

Re-Raise

UPS is your employer. they owe you nothing more than that.

UPS making profits keeps you employed. It's no secret that our drivers are the best in the iundustry and paid that way. It's for that reason that your trucks are packed and routes are cut. If we didn't pack the truck, we would not make a profit. UPS wont send half filled trucks on the road, we can't afford it.

fedex can. go work for them.

And you wonder why the drivers won't do your job for you and collect sales leads that you can't get yourself.

It is easy to tell who has any experience actually "working" for UPS.

You and 2Units should grab some doughnuts while we load and move the packages.

I think one of the biggest problems with UPS right now is that no one with any real experience will ever go into management anymore.

Why don't you go and sell cars or insurance somewhere?