UPS completely shut down in Seattle

I got my final package today! It's been in the Seattle sorting facility since 12/17/08.

I know that all the employees of UPS worked hard (and are still working hard) to get things caught up, and to those employees I am grateful. I'm glad that the small group of people that continue to post over and over again in this thread bashing UPS customers are not representative of the whole company.

Since I got my final package today, I really see no reason to continue to post here. I will continue to use UPS in the future, based on the years of great service that I have already had from them (like I posted in my very first post). I am also smart enough to realize that just because I post something on an internet message board and get attacked, it really is just a small minority of people doing the attacking and not at all representative of the entire company...(the most vocal of the attackers don't even work for UPS anymore).

Good luck and Happy New Year to all those actual UPS employees that have PM'ed me with kind words the last week or so. The rest of you (really only about the same 4 posters) need to work on the image you put forth on this VERY public board.

Hopefully, someone high up at UPS has learned from the mistakes made during this storm and will not repeat them next time it snows here.

Did I mention by package was delivered on the 18th? And it went through Spokane.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wescaddle;

Imagine that the drain in your sink became clogged, only there was NO WAY for you to shut off the water. Your only option would be to take every drinking glass, bowl, cup, can and spoon you could find and bail water like hell to keep the sink from overflowing. Imagine doing this non-stop for a week, to the point where every square foot of your kitchen is full of these reserviors of water. Now imagine that you were required to find ONE particular drop of water in the midst of all of those thousands of cups, bowls and glasses that you had desperately piled everywhere. How possible do you think that would that be?

That is exactly the situation UPS faced in the Pacific NW during the recent storms. The rest of the country kept sending packages. They kept coming, and coming, and coming and there was no way to stop them, yet due to the weather we simply could not get rid of them as fast as they arrived. There are physical limitations to how many millions of cubic feet of backed up delivery volume it is possible to force into a finite number of trailers. There are physical limitations to how many hundreds of thousands of packages a given facility is capable of processing, scanning, sorting, loading and delivering in a 24 hr period. And there are physical limitations to our ability to find one particular package in a system that is overloaded with 250,000 or more of them. Just as hose of given diameter is only capable of allowing so many gallons per minute to flow thru it regardless of the pressure applied, our facilities are only capable of dealing with so many packages per hour regardless of how hard we work or how well the operation is managed.

I am glad that UPS has served you well in the past, and I am glad that you will continue to use us in the future. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations during the recent storms, but I for one am confident that we did everything in our power to deliver what we could in a timely manner. Is it possible that perhaps your expectations were a bit unrealistic, given the conditions? Is it possible that comparing a parcel delivery service such as UPS to a Postal Service that places envelopes in a mailbox may not be an accurate or fair comparison?

tourists24

I got my final package today! It's been in the Seattle sorting facility since 12/17/08.

I know that all the employees of UPS worked hard (and are still working hard) to get things caught up, and to those employees I am grateful. I'm glad that the small group of people that continue to post over and over again in this thread bashing UPS customers are not representative of the whole company.

Since I got my final package today, I really see no reason to continue to post here. I will continue to use UPS in the future, based on the years of great service that I have already had from them (like I posted in my very first post). I am also smart enough to realize that just because I post something on an internet message board and get attacked, it really is just a small minority of people doing the attacking and not at all representative of the entire company...(the most vocal of the attackers don't even work for UPS anymore).

Good luck and Happy New Year to all those actual UPS employees that have PM'ed me with kind words the last week or so. The rest of you (really only about the same 4 posters) need to work on the image you put forth on this VERY public board.

Hopefully, someone high up at UPS has learned from the mistakes made during this storm and will not repeat them next time it snows here.

Glad to hear your saga is now concluded,,, only one more thing to say....

Girl, don't go away mad (but girl, just go away)-MOTLEY CRUE

Leftinbuilding

Your customers know it's not the drivers' fault, but your company needs to issue a formal apology. For example, I was promised two-day delivery for something I ordered on 12/19 and it just arrived yesterday (1/2). No explanation or apology offered. I've called Customer Service several times and they provided erroneous information every time. Totally ridiculous.

Clearly, USPS is now the way to go. Who knew the federal government could provide better service than private industry? UPS should be humiliated!

Can't help it, have to respond. Any possibility the shipper didn't ship on the day you ordered? Would love to have the tracking number. Who promised 2 day service? Are you in the affected Northwest?

wescaddle

Wescaddle;

I am glad that UPS has served you well in the past, and I am glad that you will continue to use us in the future. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations during the recent storms, but I for one am confident that we did everything in our power to deliver what we could in a timely manner. Is it possible that perhaps your expectations were a bit unrealistic, given the conditions? Is it possible that comparing a parcel delivery service such as UPS to a Postal Service that places envelopes in a mailbox may not be an accurate or fair comparison?

I know I said I was leaving, but after soberups contributed such a well written and thoughtful post, I figured the least I could do was answer his questions.

Is it possible that perhaps your expectations were a bit unrealistic, given the conditions?

My expectations were probably falsely exaggerated based on the fact that I continued to get mail service, and even received a FedEx package during the storm. I guess if neither the mail or FedEx had come at all during the storm, I would probably never have thought twice about UPS not coming.

Is it possible that comparing a parcel delivery service such as UPS to a Postal Service that places envelopes in a mailbox may not be an accurate or fair comparison?

Someone brought this to my attention earlier, and I have to agree... it is probably not a fair comparison. I will say that the USPS was not only delivering mail (envelopes) but packages also.

Thanks again for the professional, concise, and respectful post. It's a refreshing end to this thread.

soberups

My expectations were probably falsely exaggerated based on the fact that I continued to get mail service, and even received a FedEx package during the storm. I guess if neither the mail or FedEx had come at all during the storm, I would probably never have thought twice about UPS not coming.

I feel compelled to point out that the mail in my area is delivered by a carrier in an all-wheel drive Subaru who never has to get out of his car and never has to go up a driveway. All he has to do is to lean out his window and be able to reach the lid to the mailbox in order to insert an envelope or other small package. In other neighborhoods, the mail carrier delivers the envelopes to a centrally located "kiosk" type mailbox structure that the customers all have to walk to in order to retrieve their mail. If that mail cannot be delivered for whatever reason, the backlog of envelopes will fit into a few dozen totes rather than quickly overwhelming the facility with a million cubic feet of undelivered freight. Logistically speaking, there simply is no comparison between the work done by the Post Office and that of UPS.

As far as FedEx goes, there are areas that I delivered to that recieved no FedEx service and vice versa. This is probably more due to luck than anything else. They faced the same issues we did and got hit with the same backlog of packages that we did. All it takes to prevent a particular neighborhood from receiving service on any given day is something as simple as a broken tire chain, an accident that blocks the road, a downed power line, or any countless other number of issues that are totally beyond UPS's or FedEx'es control.

All it takes to prevent a particular neighborhood from receiving service on any given day is something as simple as a broken tire chain, an accident that blocks the road, a downed power line, or any countless other number of issues that are totally beyond UPS's or FedEx'es control.
One other factor that could and probably did play a part in what areas were delivered and the ones that were not was simple locality. I would be willing to bet the furthermost areas were out of reach by time on many days. You start at point A everyday, working toward point B but run out of time before reaching point B.

CommDown

I dont get this thread at all.
Up there at the top on the left it says not sponsered or endorsed by UPS.
So why would someone complain here?
Are you just trying to get people riled up?
I work for UPS and we dont get a discount so when someone ships someothing to me i become a customer just like you. I actually talked to a penn sup and had him personally deliver a package to me in his personal auto. I thought it was apropriate.
So, Wescuddle, why . . .

Are you really trying to get a resolution to your service failure or just blowing smoke?

BTW for all you customers, UPS can and usually does cancel all time guarantees during peak season! Think about it, you are all ordering xmas presents at the same time! DUH!
What would happen if we all went into your Stardunks at once and ordered the grande latte mocha chopa?

Im out gotta go to sleep to wake up at 3 to unload some more
BTW this not me attacking you, this is you getting flamed for being rude to us on our board. like i said call the customer service and rant at them until you get a resolution not here.

I read these boards and just thought I'd throw in this letter I wrote to the media-all the television stations and newspapers.

For the last several days now I have been watching the news with pure disgust. In this the holiday season, the season of giving and sharing all I have heard is people complaining about UPS and the non delivery of their packages. When the weather was so bad last week instead of just showing the reporters in the same tired spots trying to think of new things to say every time the camera checked back with them, I personally would have liked to have seen a reporter follow a UPS truck around and watch the trials and tribulations they went through. The reporter wouldn’t of had to make up things to say every time the camera came back to them because their action was continuous. They were constantly either stuck, being towed out or shoveling themselves out one stop after another.

I am married to a UPS man and am also the mother of one. I am not even going to talk about how sick with worry for their safety I was, not just driving but was also afraid someone might hit them while they were either delivering or shoveling themselves out. I just want you to see a bit of what was a day in the life of a driver. Since the inclement weather that nearly paralyzed our communities I have seen my husband and son leave for work anywhere between 5:00 and 7:00 am and get home between 10:00 and 11:00 pm. The stress of the days of dangerous driving conditions (UPS drivers can be terminated immediately if an accident is their fault) along with the everyday stress of getting the job done within their normal time constraints wreaked havoc on their nerves. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times they were stuck or had be towed out let alone almost every stop they had to take a shovel and dig out their tires through the snow and ice. My husband called me one day while he was waiting for a tow truck and I told him I was expecting a delivery. He told me my driver was waiting on the same tow truck and she got stuck before him. When she did deliver to me she said while waiting for the tow she had called several people to give them the option of coming to get their packages for she didn’t know how many more stops she would be able to do and the people got mad! ( I just wish Fed Ex had given me that option). It was constant stress and that is not even including the people continuously after them about their packages and why they were not being delivered. People really. The news covered the mess at the airport for how many days with the stranded passengers and crippled airport yet you think because you ordered your package and paid for next day air yours should miraculously make it through?! I ordered a lot of my presents off the internet and was also offered next day air shipping but figured there was no way that was going to happen so I didn’t even bother. Amazon, Lands End, and all the other companies don’t change their shipping options to include YOUR local weather conditions. That is where common sense comes in and is up to you to know what you can reasonably expect.
I personally placed an order on Dec.14th in plenty of time and before our weather got fierce. It was held up in CHICAGO due to adverse conditions. I had three Fed Ex packages that said out for delivery since three days before Christmas and they didn’t get delivered. My husband talked to the Fed Ex guy and he said there is no way they were going to even do residential deliveries with the mess on those streets. They didn’t even try!!! Our Fed Ex guy was on his way out of our town by 11:00 am! I also didn’t get any mail (so much for through rain or sleet, etc.) for several days and I live in the city and on a flat street. A number of our families gifts were pictures of said gift copied off the internet and wrapped with promises of when they arrived they will get them.
In closing I would like to add that on Christmas Eve my husband and son didn’t get home till after 9:00 pm. Our Christmas Day was spent with both of them shot over the previous teeth chattering, filling rattling, ice shoveling days. Just to look forward to doing it again early the next day. My husband was so tired and his wrists were so sore he didn’t even bother to finish his Christmas dinner.
Seeing as UPS Holidays include New Years Eve Day and New Years Day, we were all just looking forward to a little rest and maybe time to take care of some damage from the storm the weather had been kind enough to leave us. They were just told this morning ( Dec. 30th) that they will have to work up to 14 hours tomorrow. Perfect, Happy New Year.

UPSNewbie

I read these boards and just thought I'd throw in this letter I wrote to the media-all the television stations and newspapers.

For the last several days now I have been watching the news with pure disgust. In this the holiday season, the season of giving and sharing all I have heard is people complaining about UPS and the non delivery of their packages. When the weather was so bad last week instead of just showing the reporters in the same tired spots trying to think of new things to say every time the camera checked back with them, I personally would have liked to have seen a reporter follow a UPS truck around and watch the trials and tribulations they went through. The reporter wouldn’t of had to make up things to say every time the camera came back to them because their action was continuous. They were constantly either stuck, being towed out or shoveling themselves out one stop after another.

I am married to a UPS man and am also the mother of one. I am not even going to talk about how sick with worry for their safety I was, not just driving but was also afraid someone might hit them while they were either delivering or shoveling themselves out. I just want you to see a bit of what was a day in the life of a driver. Since the inclement weather that nearly paralyzed our communities I have seen my husband and son leave for work anywhere between 5:00 and 7:00 am and get home between 10:00 and 11:00 pm. The stress of the days of dangerous driving conditions (UPS drivers can be terminated immediately if an accident is their fault) along with the everyday stress of getting the job done within their normal time constraints wreaked havoc on their nerves. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times they were stuck or had be towed out let alone almost every stop they had to take a shovel and dig out their tires through the snow and ice. My husband called me one day while he was waiting for a tow truck and I told him I was expecting a delivery. He told me my driver was waiting on the same tow truck and she got stuck before him. When she did deliver to me she said while waiting for the tow she had called several people to give them the option of coming to get their packages for she didn’t know how many more stops she would be able to do and the people got mad! ( I just wish Fed Ex had given me that option). It was constant stress and that is not even including the people continuously after them about their packages and why they were not being delivered. People really. The news covered the mess at the airport for how many days with the stranded passengers and crippled airport yet you think because you ordered your package and paid for next day air yours should miraculously make it through?! I ordered a lot of my presents off the internet and was also offered next day air shipping but figured there was no way that was going to happen so I didn’t even bother. Amazon, Lands End, and all the other companies don’t change their shipping options to include YOUR local weather conditions. That is where common sense comes in and is up to you to know what you can reasonably expect.
I personally placed an order on Dec.14th in plenty of time and before our weather got fierce. It was held up in CHICAGO due to adverse conditions. I had three Fed Ex packages that said out for delivery since three days before Christmas and they didn’t get delivered. My husband talked to the Fed Ex guy and he said there is no way they were going to even do residential deliveries with the mess on those streets. They didn’t even try!!! Our Fed Ex guy was on his way out of our town by 11:00 am! I also didn’t get any mail (so much for through rain or sleet, etc.) for several days and I live in the city and on a flat street. A number of our families gifts were pictures of said gift copied off the internet and wrapped with promises of when they arrived they will get them.
In closing I would like to add that on Christmas Eve my husband and son didn’t get home till after 9:00 pm. Our Christmas Day was spent with both of them shot over the previous teeth chattering, filling rattling, ice shoveling days. Just to look forward to doing it again early the next day. My husband was so tired and his wrists were so sore he didn’t even bother to finish his Christmas dinner.
Seeing as UPS Holidays include New Years Eve Day and New Years Day, we were all just looking forward to a little rest and maybe time to take care of some damage from the storm the weather had been kind enough to leave us. They were just told this morning ( Dec. 30th) that they will have to work up to 14 hours tomorrow. Perfect, Happy New Year.

That was a wasted letter. Media is always right. :knockedout:

Seriously, that was a good letter. Though knowing this world, it will probably fall on deaf ea--eyes.

Thanks, and you were right. The only response I got was from our local paper here in Oregon and they chopped it to pieces and ran it as a viewpoint. They took any reference to Fed Ex and post office out of it and didn't mention anything about their tired old news stories. Artic Blast 24/7 on tv got old fast. I mean I like to know what's going on but they are so one dimentional.........

Since, that sounds just like our media here also. Where I live we had great weather for peak, except a few pretty cold days (for our region) and all I could hear was how cold it was here. Sheesss, the media here either didn't give a flip about the rest of the country or didn't know.

I agree, your letter was terrific, keep a copy of it for old times sake. One day your grand kids or their kids might need to read it.

soberups

In some ways its hard to blame our customers for being disappointed. OUr reliability made us victims of our own success. Customers who have become accustomed to being able to track each package and count on it being delivered in a timely manner just didnt know what to think when our sustem collapsed.