UPS debt?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, I agree with the first statement. The second one... Well let me ask you this , is UPS freight at this point in time making money for the company?

I can imagine, that the first few years after the acquisition were money losing ones due to "learning by trial and error", those years followed by the great recession and here we are today. So do you know if ups freight is adding to the coffers or like an aging mistress tucked away in a 2nd story luxury apartment, is she worth less than what she is costing?
I honestly don't know pickup ... however what I was focusing on, and did not express, is having a full service offering so UPS can provide one-stop shopping for transportation needs. If some of our sales wonks are here they can offer their experience with being able to offer LTL/FT service.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I doubt if any UPS executives read anything on this site.
I was trying to provide a real and accurate answer to the OP.
If you just want to vent and otherwise appear ignorant, that's OK with me ... that's what this site is for.

Hoak !
I apoligize that my post hurt you !
I meant to post to people that dont have their genitals in the company soup !
I wanted to inform my fellow drivers that the next 2 years of information will be thrown at them that aren't true !!

Enjoy your limited time at Innoplex !!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just think of all the $ we're saving closing Innoplex, and I'm going on record now, when Salt Lake Customer Care gets offshored to India! Join a Union NOW! ;)

I don't follow your logic here ... being in a union or not does not help if your effort / deliverable can be off-shored. How many millions of union jobs have been off-shored or out-sourced in the last thirty years?
That is one favorable aspect of the UPS labor force that is actually handling the packages ... their jobs cannot be off-shored. I remember the unions bad-mouthing service jobs thirty years ago and now that industry (which includes UPS) is the strongest bastion of union jobs in the US today.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoak !
I apoligize that my post hurt you !
I meant to post to people that dont have their genitals in the company soup !
I wanted to inform my fellow drivers that the next 2 years of information will be thrown at them that aren't true !!

Enjoy your limited time at Innoplex !!!!

Fair enough ... you did take this thread in a different direction than the OP but it seems to be completely morphed now so its cool.

Also keep it mind that the locker room lawyers, TDU and even the Teamsters will be throwing out information that is not true as well.

At this point in my life, I really don't believe much of anything I hear.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I don't follow your logic here ... being in a union or not does not help if your effort / deliverable can be off-shored. How many millions of union jobs have been off-shored or out-sourced in the last thirty years?
That is one favorable aspect of the UPS labor force that is actually handling the packages ... their jobs cannot be off-shored. I remember the unions bad-mouthing service jobs thirty years ago and now that industry (which includes UPS) is the strongest bastion of union jobs in the US today.

I'll explain...UPS comes in tomorrow, YOU'RE FIRED HOAK!! BYE

ME...Something called Just Cause needs to happen

Yes Union Work has been offshored, however, Union Workers usually get a little better "severance" whether it's training, payment, or some other method of softening the blow...

satellitedriver

Going back to the debt question.

A corporation that has a good credit rating would be foolish not to be in debt in this economy.
The present interest rate is almost at the inflation rate.
Corp is "playing" with expansion capitol at a low fixed interest rate that will not increase when rates rise in the future.
Basically free money.
On the flip side,
debt by personal consumers -(read as the regular working Joe)- , in this economy, is the worst thing possible position to place oneself in.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just think of all the $ we're saving closing Innoplex, and I'm going on record now, when Salt Lake Customer Care gets offshored to India! Join a Union NOW! ;)
This is your original post to which I replied.

I'll explain...UPS comes in tomorrow, YOU'RE FIRED HOAK!! BYE

ME...Something called Just Cause needs to happen

Yes Union Work has been offshored, however, Union Workers usually get a little better "severance" whether it's training, payment, or some other method of softening the blow...

How do you know what a non-Union employee gets for severance pay? I do and it's not bad.

The articles I've seen on moving union employees jobs off shore does not seem to provide that great a severance compensation.

In regards to your original post that I replied to ... you said nothing about job security if the operations stays in place. The new spin you brought up is a valid point although nothing to do with your original post. And by the way, non-union always gets some type of severance pay if they waive the right to contest the termination.

tourists24

I've been with the company 38 years and UPS has never been debt free that I can remember.
The debt is larger now than I can remember it and the reason is very obvious and simple ... pension funding and costs.
I figure with all the rental car money they pay out to do all their on area observations, that will account for a lot of that lol (ok maybe not 7 billion)

iamupser

Grease Monkey
How do you know what a non-Union employee gets for severance pay? I do and it's not bad..

Do tell...

iamupser said:
Just think of all the $ we're saving closing Innoplex, and I'm going on record now, when Salt Lake Customer Care gets offshored to India! Join a Union NOW!

IMO Union employees have better protections, nothing more, nothing less, you're entitled to yours.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
IMO Union employees have better protections, nothing more, nothing less, you're entitled to yours.

Can't argue with that ... as I said earlier in this thread, if the industry is one that cannot be moved overseas then Unionization or the threat of it will get the collective workers better compensation and benefits.

On the other side, working in a non-Union environment is usually a much more pleasant experience.

kingOFchester

On the other side, working in a non-Union environment is usually a much more pleasant experience.

Usually does not equate to UPS. My center manager runs around like a freightend child. Spends his days mulling over papers stacked 6" high. He is a nervous wreck and acts like he is 30 seconds away from being out on the street. Center next to mine the center manager was relocated and UPS cleanned out his office. Supervisors being told "your not union, I can fire you on the spot" in front of Drivers!!

To add, with respect cause I do respect your insite, you do work in a union enviroment. You may not work with the union, but we are all in the same environment. Being a union shop affects all workers. Managers have a harder time weeding out dead weight, requires better production to show a profit to cover labor costs.......

Uh, I'm not Upstate...
Yes I do I didn't know it was that bad. Why don't you try one of those Internet dating sites??? You could also try getting a red sports car where the top goes down. I heard some older women like that and I wouldn't go with a toupee. Try shaving your head it really works for Bruce Willis. Hang in there buddy. Your friend 407

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSBOT

When UPS Was Fun
I'm borrowing money at 3.5 percent right now to by stocks, why won't UPS borrow at lower rates than I'm being charged. Any Company not borrowing at these rates would be crazy. Plus it sure looks good at contract time!!!!!! Don't be fooled by the DEBT numbers.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Going back to the debt question.

A corporation that has a good credit rating would be foolish not to be in debt in this economy.
The present interest rate is almost at the inflation rate.
Corp is "playing" with expansion capitol at a low fixed interest rate that will not increase when rates rise in the future.
Basically free money.
On the flip side,
debt by personal consumers -(read as the regular working Joe)- , in this economy, is the worst thing possible position to place oneself in.

BAC, C, MS, BCS, JPM, etc.. all have excellent marketing departments!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've been with the company 38 years and UPS has never been debt free that I can remember.
The debt is larger now than I can remember it and the reason is very obvious and simple ... pension funding and costs.
You could just say "costs" instead of having to throw in the union pension funding angle too. That is the cost of doing business.

Costs like....thousands of redundant, unnecessary pimple nose supervisors who are only there to do union work and falsify the numbers uppermgmt and shareholders care about? Whom are otherwise throwaway positions?

Cost like...adding in keyless entry to a 30 year old vehicle with a cracked frame, won't accelerate uphill and spedometer that doesn't work...

lol pension funding and costs, but you won't mention mismanagement and the obvious - going public

QKRSTKR

I could easily see the debt they say they have going into 2 yrs till contract time. Time to get the crap rolling. I remember from 1997 strike red day/blue day. UPS would actually hold certain areas of routes off the package cars and only send them out every other day. It was a way UPS was trying to hide it's actual volume. Shamefull.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I could easily see the debt they say they have going into 2 yrs till contract time. Time to get the crap rolling. I remember from 1997 strike red day/blue day. UPS would actually hold certain areas of routes off the package cars and only send them out every other day. It was a way UPS was trying to hide it's actual volume. Shamefull.

If this happened it would be shameful.

As I said earlier in this thread:
"Also keep it mind that the locker room lawyers, TDU and even the Teamsters will be throwing out information that is not true as well.

At this point in my life, I really don't believe much of anything I hear."