Ups sets social media rules

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
So the bc is not listed in the "rules". The guidelines on &@$?!$.com also did not list "the bc". Any thoughts?

From a previous thread: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/ups-issues-social-media-guidelines-335457/

I have never met Debbie but I have had a couple of hallway conversations with other people in Brand / Communications.

This what I included and bolded in my first post
I thought it was interesting that neither the blog nor the PDF file mentions Brown Cafe but that is probably that this is a Branding concern.

That is essentially what comes across in Debbie's video.

I don't think her group actually monitor's Brown Cafe but knowing the nature of the tools they use to crawl the web, BC posts do pop up on occasion.
I think they are more interested in Facebook, Tweeter, etc. where customers may provide feedback.

The most likely official monitors of Brown Cafe, just logically thinking it through, would be in the Human Resources and Security functions. HR would want to know how employees are reacting to changes, new programs, etc. Security would be interested in threats to UPS and to UPS employees that are indicated here.

Of course, there are many un-official monitors of Brown Cafe who bring certain posts to the attention of UPS Management. These are not systemic in nature but any post can be monitored by anyone within UPS.

tracker2762

I think if they had mention Brown Cafe by name in their social media rules blog, It may have been free advertising for Brown Cafe and UPS may not want spread the word. I know from my experience that many employees do not know about this site. Just my thought.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
How can they check? All the 'puters at our center crash when you try to access BC. I tried to show the center manager something, and even he couldn't get to BC from a UPS 'puter

705red

Browncafe Steward
Pay attention that the courts ruled in favor of almost the exact same Social Media Policy at SEARS.

Score Company 1, Employee 1 - this will probably wind up in the Supreme Court.

Keep in mind that the employee that belonged to a union is a "Just Cause" employee while the employee that lost was an "at will" employee. This is were the biggest difference lies here with these 2 cases.

The union members have a contract spelling out what they can be disciplined for, while everyone knows that non union employees can get fired for almost anything especially if their boss doesnt like them.