Wages: Lets get to the facts

STFXG

45 days? We had a guy get cancer and a bunch of contractors pooled together a month worth of vacation weeks so he wouldn't lose the route before he could sell it. FedEx doesn't care about anything but getting the route serviced. If you can't do it they will find someone who will.

Sent using BrownCafe App

White Line

45 days? We had a guy get cancer and a bunch of contractors pooled together a month worth of vacation weeks so he wouldn't lose the route before he could sell it. FedEx doesn't care about anything but getting the route serviced. If you can't do it they will find someone who will.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well that's good and it's nice to see that you guys don't have a bunch of snakes for fellow contractors, maybe it only applies to linehaul, but if you go to my ground biz and click on linehaul, then click linehaul run assignments, then scroll down to the heading 'no driver no replacement' it explains that the IC Business has 45 days to come to solution for getting the run covered, in the meantime it's covered by unassigned board, I realize it's in the linehaul section but what caught my attention was the wording, they say IC Business, therefore I assume it applies to either a linehaul or p&d IC Business , maybe I am mistaken, what I do know is that I had to research these rules when I was put into a situation where I wanted to bid a run at my terminal, my tractor had the points to out bid the other tractors at the terminal at that time, however the hub (that it is in a different state) that over sees and has overall control of our linehaul was permitting their contractors to bid on the run as well and some had tractors with more points than mine, I was able to do the research and found that unless those contractors had a tractor domiciled at our terminal for six or more months only then could they bid the run, well none of them did and I was able to present my argument to the linehaul manager for that hub and it was determined that I was right and they all had to withdrawl their bids, I realize that's a different situation but I found that rule in the same place I found the 45 day one, it was under the heading Transfers or Tractor Transfers or something to that effect.

Goldilocks

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nice hearing your softer side. When I first started, I have seen many women who were couriers miscarriage or del prematurely simply because there was no such word as maternity leave.

P

prodriver

Whoa wait, aren't you guys given a 45 day window to figure out how to get the route covered, I realize that yes FedEx will get it covered right away in a situation like that by means of another contractor, but as far as another contractor trying to jump on it and take it for him or herself, I thought they had that 45 day rule in place for that reason.

The verbage was "route abandonment" and was told by management 3 days of non-service (true or false) would terminate a contract, nothing in operating agreement specifically states this but have been told by more than one SM this was procedure. I have seen quite a few fire sales due to contractors not being able to run routes also have seen snakes( or business men) align themselves up to try and get anything available. Luckily we have a "union" of us contractors that
stick together and help each out.

P

prodriver

Sent using BrownCafe App
You are 100% correct FedEx don't care as long as route gets serviced we have also pulled together for a fellow contractor (single van)that had to go in hospital for surgery he got back on his feet and didn't have to sell though one of the few left that had more time in than me.

White Line

The verbage was "route abandonment" and was told by management 3 days of non-service (true or false) would terminate a contract, nothing in operating agreement specifically states this but have been told by more than one SM this was procedure. I have seen quite a few fire sales due to contractors not being able to run routes also have seen snakes( or business men) align themselves up to try and get anything available. Luckily we have a "union" of us contractors that
stick together and help each out.
Oh yeah we have got that same speech also, the three service failure scenario, yep our former linehaul manager would mention stuff like that too, one example he used for service failures which was his favorite was overnight or preload trailers failing service, wether it was because of load abandonment (which I have yet to see), the driver pulling over and napping and over sleeping, or the contractors rig breaking down in the middle of the run and being down long enough to cause the trailers to be late and fail service, however like you we have a small circle of contractors that stick together and have each others backs and some dispatchers willing to work with us, it's just matter of a few phone calls and getting someone there to drop their cold trailers and pick up the hot ones and get going again, no harm no foul, same with covering runs for each other, and yeah snakes, I understand the (business men), I realize from the business stand point that having a heart shouldn't stand in the way an opportunity to grow a business even if it is because of someones misfortune it's nothing personal just business, but man I just can't do that, just doesn't seem right to me, that's cool of you and STFXG and your guys small "union" of fellow contractors to step up like that and help those guys out.

Fedex627

Started in 95 with airborne express in Nj. Moved to Fla leaving $17.25 hr pay after 3yrs of driving. 98 worked for UPS seasonal for 4 months $18 hourly. Got hired by fedex 2000. $11.45 hourly. After 14 1/2 years and going I'm at $19.78 hourly.14 years of service and not topped out. Friend of mine became manager after 4years fedex.got demoted to swing again topped out $23 and change WTF? Company is going in the wrong direction.

vantexan

Started in 95 with airborne express in Nj. Moved to Fla leaving $17.25 hr pay after 3yrs of driving. 98 worked for UPS seasonal for 4 months $18 hourly. Got hired by fedex 2000. $11.45 hourly. After 14 1/2 years and going I'm at $19.78 hourly.14 years of service and not topped out. Friend of mine became manager after 4years fedex.got demoted to swing again topped out $23 and change WTF? Company is going in the wrong direction.
I've known a couple of mgrs who dropped to courier and became topped out. Rule is go into mgmt, do a year(might be two, have heard it one or two) then can return to courier status as topped out. Says alot about how they take care of mgrs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've known a couple of mgrs who dropped to courier and became topped out. Rule is go into mgmt, do a year(might be two, have heard it one or two) then can return to courier status as topped out. Says alot about how they take care of mgrs.

As managers drop like flies, watch for this option to disappear.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
The affordable care act includes a provision that if your income is low enough you get issued Medicaid, now, Medicaid has a statute that allows the government to reclaim all money used to pay claims in Medicaid at any point in your life when your income increases and you are no longer eligible. That means if you sign up for Obamacare and are instead given Medicaid they can later on take your house and any other assets you have. If you die, they take all your assets and leave your family nothing! Feel free to fact check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The requirements to qualify for and remain on Medicaid are indeed very strict and, yes, they can come back to you if your situation changes or it is found that you lied when applying for Medicaid.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Every organizing campaign, especially one this large, requires both union and employee participation. But the IBT is the one with the knowledge and resources to put it together.

I'm not asking this of you specifically, but is that the new excuse for why the biggest proponents are the least likely to do anything about it?

MAKAVELI

I'm not asking this of you specifically, but is that the new excuse for why the biggest proponents are the least likely to do anything about it?
When was the last time a company as large as FedEx organized nationally? It's not an excuse, just the reality and reason Fred has bought his exemption.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
When was the last time a company as large as FedEx organized nationally? It's not an excuse, just the reality and reason Fred has bought his exemption.

I don't know.

It just seems, as others have pointed out, that everyone sits on their hands and complains about the IBT. The IBT isn't going to make an effort if the commitment from the rank and file isn't there. By commitment, I mean a sufficient number of people willing to put in a lot of time and effort, not people who think they are really doing something because they passed out some pamphlets once or twice.

FedEx doesn't worry and the IBT doesn't care. Why not? Because even the proponents don't care. They want a union and will join it if it ever becomes a reality, but they aren't going to lift a muscle to make it a reality.

hypo hanna

Wouldn't they also have to "sweeten the pot" to retain current and attract new managers?
Why would they?
The bait to go into management is the ability to top out. If they wash out, no big deal. The operations manager position is little different then the courier position from the corporation's perspective. I have seen some really good employees go for it and once there find they have ZERO support from the senior and above and no support from their new peers.
If you plan on staying with fedex, want to ever top out, and are willing to take the risk, (Big risk in being an ops manager), this is your only path.