Wages: Lets get to the facts

Serf

So you don't expect anyone to call you on it when you post how much someone makes if it was accurate there wouldn't have been any follow up post, again you don't know as much as you think you do. A 90k investment for a take home of 33k common man.
No I do expect to be called out on it. But what were are both masturbating to is hypothetical. A compromise of sort in the variables that can happen year in and year out. But yes routes being expensive as they are. 90k investment to take home 33k over the course of the next 5,10,15,20 years turns into a solid investment I'd say. If I say I don't know as much as I think I do, would it make you feel better or would I be admitting I don't know as much as you. Everyone here is more alike than you would think. Even pricks like me.

Serf

Totally different health care and pension plans, and the highest compensation in the industry. And you will never hear a word about from the pilots. I suspect that the contract has a gag clause in it that prevents them from discussing it with heathen hourlies like us. I have several personal friends who fly for FedEx and they will not discuss compensation.
Awesome. I understand the compensation is anywhere from 180,000-300,000 annually. Granted being a pilot is a great skill. But just awesome. They probably laugh at the driver side of the company.

P

prodriver

No I do expect to be called out on it. But what were are both masturbating to is hypothetical. A compromise of sort in the variables that can happen year in and year out. But yes routes being expensive as they are. 90k investment to take home 33k over the course of the next 5,10,15,20 years turns into a solid investment I'd say. If I say I don't know as much as I think I do, would it make you feel better or would I be admitting I don't know as much as you. Everyone here is more alike than you would think. Even pricks like me.

Again older trucks have more cost so your take home will go down,everyone is a individual so when you group people together because we are all in same industry is another short comings you have.

Serf

Again older trucks have more cost so your take home will go down,everyone is a individual so when you group people together because we are all in same industry is another short comings you have.
Yes trucks depreciate, and inflation is high. Yet still the money will be made back on the initial investment and you will continue to generate income. A strong opinion is not a short coming. Grouping people who are in the same industry may be a blanket statement. But have you ever heard the saying "birds of a feather flock together." You take pride in thinking you are a special individual unicorn. Yet we are similar. Soldiers are similar, lawyers are similar, trainers are similar, police and firefighters are similar, pro athletes are similar.

P

prodriver

Migrant worker are u sure about the investment what if said contractor breaks his leg and can't cover route remember he's a contractor some other contractor will jump on it fast or he has to pay a driver 700 a week to run it how good a investment is it then. Most contractors/drivers only mingle/flock together before dispatch other than that we are with our families. At 33k how would there be any multi van contractors? You said he was single van what if he has to go ISP.

Serf

Migrant worker are u sure about the investment what if said contractor breaks his leg and can't cover route remember he's a contractor some other contractor will jump on it fast or he has to pay a driver 700 a week to run it how good a investment is it then. Most contractors/drivers only mingle/flock together before dispatch other than that we are with our families. At 33k how would there be any multi van contractors? You said he was single van what if he has to go ISP.
*Supplemental insurance policies pay you cash for unexpected things like this. Afflac is great. I was referring to "flocking together" as making blanket, stereo typical statements about groups of people in certain industries. Pro athletes: nice cars, jewelry, mansions. Soldiers: tattoos, beer, trucks, guns. Lawyers: suits, golf, long hours on cases,etc. Police and firemen who all "live the code" and in almost all cases (few bad apples) exemplify duty, honor, courage in the lives they lead. Us drivers? You are right. Work hard, get things taken away from us little by little, expendable, just want to go home at the end of the day with the little we have and be with our families. Or in my case feed me vices, work on small business, etc.

Goldilocks

You are over thinking the whole thing really. Kudos to your friend. I was referring to me as a "worker" and migrant being the action I take in my truck to go to where the work is...(bulk stops, sweeps, pick ups, airport runs, the sort).

I am thinking about changing it and forming a rogue pseudo gang called SDK, or otherwise known as Shuttle Driver Klan.

You could just use your old name "Sniper"

P

prodriver

*Supplemental insurance policies pay you cash for unexpected things like this. Afflac is great. I was referring to "flocking together" as making blanket, stereo typical statements about groups of people in certain industries. Pro athletes: nice cars, jewelry, mansions. Soldiers: tattoos, beer, trucks, guns. Lawyers: suits, golf, long hours on cases,etc. Police and firemen who all "live the code" and in almost all cases (few bad apples) exemplify duty, honor, courage in the lives they lead. Us drivers? You are right. Work hard, get things taken away from us little by little, expendable, just want to go home at the end of the day with the little we have and be with our families. Or in my case feed me vices, work on small business, etc.

Supplemental ins. will not be any help in getting a route covered I haven't had anything taken away from me I was just touching on a few things a single van operator should consider before investing. Thankfully I have been lucky in my ventures.

Goldilocks

You are over thinking the whole thing really. Kudos to your friend. I was referring to me as a "worker" and migrant being the action I take in my truck to go to where the work is...(bulk stops, sweeps, pick ups, airport runs, the sort).

I am thinking about changing it and forming a rogue pseudo gang called SDK, or otherwise known as Shuttle Driver Klan.

If we met in a Bar, I would have to buy you an ALE called Arrogant Bastard.....By the way, its a very good Ale.....

Serf

Supplemental ins. will not be any help in getting a route covered I haven't had anything taken away from me I was just touching on a few things a single van operator should consider before investing. Thankfully I have been lucky in my ventures.
Lord willing and the creek don't rise! Lesson: don't break a leg and have to have a substitute driver. Good luck on the ventures. I always root for the self starter entrepreneur. Also, I have learned that a single van operator and purchasing a FedEx ground or Home route can be more expensive than others.

STFXG

I had an injury as a single route driver back in the day. Not fun coming in to work the next day after being in the e.r. most of the night. Taught me that my active life was pretty much over.

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

prodriver

I had an injury as a single route driver back in the day. Not fun coming in to work the next day after being in the e.r. most of the night. Taught me that my active life was pretty much over.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I know exactly what u mean those early days could be rough, I very rarely drive anymore all my routes are against each other which makes life a lot easier.

bbsam

Staff member
yep. I stopped skiing about 18 years ago because midway through a run I realized if I break something, I'm screwed.

dezguy

I play hockey every week. I swear there are guys in my league who don't have jobs because they're going balls to the wall every shift. It's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to have to look for another league to play in because I have to work in the morning. I certainly don't need to have my arm slashed and broken by a guy who thinks they're being scouted.

bbsam

Staff member
I play hockey every week. I swear there are guys in my league who don't have jobs because they're going balls to the wall every shift. It's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to have to look for another league to play in because I have to work in the morning. I certainly don't need to have my arm slashed and broken by a guy who thinks they're being scouted.
It's possible you're just getting old.;)

dezguy

It's possible you're just getting old.;)

Well, I'm getting older. I'm still pretty young in the grand scheme of things. It's not like I can't keep up. We have 20 year old kids who just got out of junior b and c hockey playing in my league and I can stay with them for most of the game. It's the guys who take house league hockey way too seriously. I don't mind getting bumped every once in a while but when you can't carry the puck through the neutral zone without getting repeatedly hacked on the wrist or knee or can't stand in front of the net without taking a beating the whole time... well, I may be getting too old for that stuff. ;)

White Line

Whoa wait, aren't you guys given a 45 day window to figure out how to get the route covered, I realize that yes FedEx will get it covered right away in a situation like that by means of another contractor, but as far as another contractor trying to jump on it and take it for him or herself, I thought they had that 45 day rule in place for that reason.