What happened after the 97 strike was over?

newfie

I've told many people over the last ten years that I couldn't/wouldn't be a UPS driver the way it is today. I think one of the main reasons is when I was working we were a close knit group who worked together, played together, stood up to management together, and basically look out for each other. From what I see going on at my old center now its every man for himself.

you must have been the glue that kept them together ..:)

PT Car Washer

[QUOTE="retiredTxfeeder, post: 1707380, member: 52978. I walked the picket lines for over a week, then I found some work the union hall fixed me up with for a couple of days, then it was settled.

Isn't that kind of like crossing the line? I mean if the company hired other workers then that would be using scabs? Wouldn't it be the same if you go work another job?[/QUOTE]
Not the same thing at all. I lot of guys that needed money that bad picked up extra work. Some mowed yards or did construction. I just considered the strike an extra 2 weeks off during the hottest part of the year.

oldupsman

I've told many people over the last ten years that I couldn't/wouldn't be a UPS driver the way it is today. I think one of the main reasons is when I was working we were a close knit group who worked together, played together, stood up to management together, and basically look out for each other. From what I see going on at my old center now its every man for himself.

Same here. And that didn't mean we were at constant war with management. Both sides respected each other.
I worked for some really decent center manager's. More then once when a driver was on the verge of doing something stupid
or already was, a center manager would come to the "leaders" of the center and tell us to get it straighten out before he was
forced to do something. And we would.

Sometimes when a new division manager would come in he would tell the center manager to apply some heat for some stupid reason
or another. Again, I had more then one center manager tell him that's not a good idea in this center. These guys stick together.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the best thing I learned about the strike was that this job could go away in a heartbeat and I better be prepared. I ramped up my savings and investments so I could pay off my house 13 years early and retire 6 years early.

so in that regard the strike helped me.

unfortunately I also learned that most of my coworkers don't have much of a backbone. all the whining and crying in the second week of the strike. I sincerely believe that if the company had held out for another week or two , the teamsters would have caved.

maybe not true on the hardcore Northeast but true out here in the west.

rod

Retired 22 years
you must have been the glue that kept them together ..:)

There was no "glue". We were lucky enough to have had a very good Union Steward who knew the contract forward and backwards and loved a good fight. He stuck by us and 95% of us stuck by him.(there's always a few at every center who aren't good Teamsters). In the history of my old center (it was opened here about 1965) there are still only 28 who have retired out of it. Of that group 2 have died and a couple have moved away. We still get together as a group for breakfast once a month and have had as many as 18 show up. We are still a tight group.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Three week later, the pick up volume from the day before the strike still wasn't processed fully. Bring in all the scabs you want, some of our jobs is a lot harder to fill than it seems.

Insaneasylum

The problem is in this competitive environment neither side wants to upset the apple cart. As much as UPS would hate to admit it, it takes a certain type of person to do what we do with today's workload. Not to discount what you and your generation went through with the tools you had, but today the days are longer, the trucks are fuller, and the demand for production greater. People say they could hire guys to do our jobs for $15 an hour, but they wouldn't stay and they wouldn't get the production that get now out of them.
But @ 15$ they could hire 3 drivers to everyone now and still save money. They would drop all the bennies and ups would become another fedex, dhl, or whatever crap company

ski or die

Ski or Die
I worked in the office. We had a person who crossed the line to work. Mgmt. would take a pkg car out and meet the clerk at a pick up point and shuttle the person into the bldg. The last grievance I had to process before retiring was for this clerk and concerned being paid in advance for the sick days. I was able to win the grievance. Sad to have my last grievance for someone who crossed the line. But I was elected to represent all employees and this was one of them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I worked in the office. We had a person who crossed the line to work. Mgmt. would take a pkg car out and meet the clerk at a pick up point and shuttle the person into the bldg. The last grievance I had to process before retiring was for this clerk and concerned being paid in advance for the sick days. I was able to win the grievance. Sad to have my last grievance for someone who crossed the line. But I was elected to represent all employees and this was one of them.
You're a better man than I
I would have done the minimum required and let the chips fall where they may
You know the old saying Karmas a Bitch

Overpaid Union Thug

I respect that allot. You hated doing it but you followed the law and kept your integrity by doing so.

onehandsolo

We only had one driver cross the line because the driver had a sick child and was worried about losing insurance. Several drivers who were not picketing were accused of crossing but did not.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
All employees kept their jobs.

Union employees did.

Are there any management people, still around ?

The ones that crossed the line were treated very fairly by management

Ok.

How many.... are still here ?

The ones that crossed the line were treated very fairly by management because management realized the Union would not represent them as required by law.

The IBT, and the affiliated Locals....

Refused, to represent the members ?

That doesn't speak well, for the Ron Carey.... cheerleaders.

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) Are there any management people, still around ?

2) Ok. How many that crossed picket line .... are still here ?

3) The IBT, and the affiliated Locals ... Refused, to represent the members ?

That doesn't speak well, for the Ron Carey.... cheerleaders.

-Bug-
1) At or higher percentage than Union employees that were here then. (not counting retired employees in each category)

2) Same percentage as ones that did not.

3) No kidding ... and most the stewards and members that post on here.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
What is this babble?

Which politicians make a mockery of every picket
line?

Conservatives? Because that's who I vote for.

Democrats are job killing machines.

And how hard is it to be union in a declining job market?

Jobs are growing in states with conservatives running their states.

And not by coincidence, union jobs are growing in states run by conservatives.

Sounds to me, that you supporting those job killing Democrats, that YOU make a mockery of every picket line we put up.

You got some facts to back up your malarkey?