What happened after the 97 strike was over?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You got some facts to back up your malarkey?
I live in California.

It is controlled top to bottom by Democrats.

Jobs and businesses are leaving in droves to Texas, Wisconsin and other Republican states.

Soon, California won't make a damn thing.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I live in California.

Jobs and businesses are leaving in droves to Texas, Wisconsin and other Republican states.

So, no, you don't have any facts to back up your claim that conservatives have increased union jobs. Right to work laws are designed and implemented to put the squeeze on unions. And they are a complete conservative idea.

Again, what facts do you have to back up your claims?

MAKAVELI

I live in California.

Sorry to bust your bubble rb1.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-12/best-state-for-business-yes-california
http://www.lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/113
2014 GDP Growth: California Outperforms Nation

June 26, 2015

Justin Garosi Jason Sisney

On June 10, 2015 (as our office was focused on California state budget matters), the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) published its initial estimate of states' real gross domestic product (GDP) for 2014. GDP is an economic measure that attempts to value all goods and services produced in a given area, be it a state or the nation. BEA also released revised 1997-2013 GDP statistics at the state level. (Beginning in September, BEA has announced it "will release for the first time quarterly GDP by state on a regular basis.")

GDP Growth in California Outpaced the U.S. in 2014. BEA estimates that California's GDP grew by 2.8% in 2014, adjusted for inflation. For comparison with this state growth figure, the BEA notes that U.S. real GDP grew by 2.2% in 2014. (The most recent annual estimates of national GDP growth use somewhat different data, BEA notes.) California's 2014 GDP growth rate ranked 9th highest among the states (behind #8 Washington and ahead of #10 Oklahoma). The BEA map below includes California in the category of the nine other states—all displayed in a dark blue color—with the highest levels of real GDP growth in 2014.

realbrown1

Sorry to bust your bubble rb1.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-12/best-state-for-business-yes-california
http://www.lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/113
2014 GDP Growth: California Outperforms Nation

June 26, 2015

Justin Garosi Jason Sisney

On June 10, 2015 (as our office was focused on California state budget matters), the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) published its initial estimate of states' real gross domestic product (GDP) for 2014. GDP is an economic measure that attempts to value all goods and services produced in a given area, be it a state or the nation. BEA also released revised 1997-2013 GDP statistics at the state level. (Beginning in September, BEA has announced it "will release for the first time quarterly GDP by state on a regular basis.")

GDP Growth in California Outpaced the U.S. in 2014. BEA estimates that California's GDP grew by 2.8% in 2014, adjusted for inflation. For comparison with this state growth figure, the BEA notes that U.S. real GDP grew by 2.2% in 2014. (The most recent annual estimates of national GDP growth use somewhat different data, BEA notes.) California's 2014 GDP growth rate ranked 9th highest among the states (behind #8 Washington and ahead of #10 Oklahoma). The BEA map below includes California in the category of the nine other states—all displayed in a dark blue color—with the highest levels of real GDP growth in 2014.
Apples and orages, and I stand correct.

Your article backs ME up.

California is over taxed, over regulated and has too strick of environmental regulations.

The only reason for that article is that some California businesses do well.

MAKAVELI

Apples and orages, and I stand correct.

Your article backs ME up.

California is over taxed, over regulated and has too strick of environmental regulations.

The only reason for that article is that some California businesses do well.
Yet we have the largest economy of any state and recently past the country of Brazil. Seems to me California is doing a a lot better than you think.

realbrown1

Yet we have the largest economy of any state and recently past the country of Brazil. Seems to me California is doing a a lot better than you think.
We are the largest state, and our economy is lagging.

Just because Brazil's economy is worse than ours, doesn't mean we are doing it right.

Brazil is going down, California is stagnant.

O

OLDMAN3

I have very fond memories of the strike. We sat outside each night drinking free beverages and eating free food provided by sympathetic Union workers from other companies. Lots of people stopped by and encouraged us. Meanwhile management was inside the bldg pulling 12-14 hr shifts and were only able to process 1/2 day of volume over the coarse of the entire strike. Any management or scabs that were unlucky enough to have to drive a truck out of the bldg. were suddenly faced with an unexplainable traffic jam moving at 2 mph on normally quiet streets. Shenanigans happened and scabs usually only lasted a day or two, and package cars (after day 2) always left with two workers on board. Many package cars were trapped in parking spots and on docks.

When the strike was over UPS tried to "get around" the new contract agreement in which they promised to create 10,000 new jobs (UPS was forced later to do so) by claiming the volume was too low...and they laid off workers . The rest of us more than made up our lost wages from the strike by putting in massive amounts of OT...production numbers were not exactly stellar.

The hub was such a mess from the strike, and volume was so unpredictable that most management just wanted some stability... so there were no repercussions from management, except for a few drivers who got caught being nasty during the strike. They got their hands slapped but didn't lose their jobs. The few package car drivers who would not walk the line are still known to this day (none crossed in our bldg). The ones who did not quit are management pets and are not respected by the other drivers even though they have a lot of seniority. For the rest of us, the strike really brought all of us hour-lies together.

Last edited by a moderator: