What have you seen people lose their jobs for? How to avoid being fired.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I was told multiple times that the only way you could get fired as a part time sup is if you got caught lying, stealing, or :censored2: a coworker. Now, these days that last reason is a grey area....so I'm assuming this guy was lying to the center manager about the missed truck....I honestly can't see a PT sup get fired for JUST one missed truck. Not cool, but not fire-worthy....

One of our PT sup was fired for leaving send agains on idle trucks (e.g. routes that weren't being built the next day). It was his third offense in about 18 months. He got his job back through arbitration.

I've also seen PT sup fired for:
-- Showing up to work drunk the day after St. Patty's Day (Preloader -- in other words, an hour or so after the bar closed). He got his job back through arbitration.
-- (On the local sort) Choosing to leave several dozen packages in the building, rather than calling for/building another load; most were two-day packages to Europe & Asia. He got his job back through arbitration, went full-time within a month after returning to work.
-- Choosing not to run a load because he'd blow his production numbers (Preload) -- then lying to his boss and saying the load was cancelled. He got his job back through arbitration.
-- Accusations of sexual harassment, three total over time. Two got their jobs back through arbitration, the third didn't try.
-- Horse playing with another PT sup that resulted in that sup getting hurt & going to the clinic. He struck a deal in which his termination would be considered a voluntary quit, with full recommendation, and he would receive his remaining time off cashed out.
-- not being managerial material, for whatever reason. He got his job back through arbitration, but at a different building.

and, more recently,
-- identifying himself as a UPS PT supervisor on Facebook, criticizing the job, then displaying inappropriate images (semi-naked, drunk, etc.) that "misrepresented" the brand. Not certain what he plans on doing...

So it seems that employees who don't deserve to keep their jobs, but do anyway, isn't just limited to union employees...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
One of our PT sup was fired for leaving send agains on idle trucks (e.g. routes that weren't being built the next day). It was his third offense in about 18 months. He got his job back through arbitration.

I've also seen PT sup fired for:
-- Showing up to work drunk the day after St. Patty's Day (Preloader -- in other words, an hour or so after the bar closed). He got his job back through arbitration.
-- (On the local sort) Choosing to leave several dozen packages in the building, rather than calling for/building another load; most were two-day packages to Europe & Asia. He got his job back through arbitration, went full-time within a month after returning to work.
-- Choosing not to run a load because he'd blow his production numbers (Preload) -- then lying to his boss and saying the load was cancelled. He got his job back through arbitration.
-- Accusations of sexual harassment, three total over time. Two got their jobs back through arbitration, the third didn't try.
-- Horse playing with another PT sup that resulted in that sup getting hurt & going to the clinic. He struck a deal in which his termination would be considered a voluntary quit, with full recommendation, and he would receive his remaining time off cashed out.
-- not being managerial material, for whatever reason. He got his job back through arbitration, but at a different building.

and, more recently,
-- identifying himself as a UPS PT supervisor on Facebook, criticizing the job, then displaying inappropriate images (semi-naked, drunk, etc.) that "misrepresented" the brand. Not certain what he plans on doing...

So it seems that employees who don't deserve to keep their jobs, but do anyway, isn't just limited to union employees...

Are you in California? I live in an "at-will" state where anyone without a CBA can be fired just because the boss doesn't like their face. It's not as easy to fire PT sups as it would be at a different company because of UPS corporate policy, but there is no arbitration here for any employee without a contract.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Are you in California? I live in an "at-will" state where anyone without a CBA can be fired just because the boss doesn't like their face. It's not as easy to fire PT sups as it would be at a different company because of UPS corporate policy, but there is no arbitration here for any employee without a contract.

"At will" as well but UPS management has some sort of arbitration process here. Not as common, but we've had FT supervisors/managers fired as well who've gotten their jobs back through the process, sometimes (usually) with a demotion.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Had one get fired for sheeting a NDA as not in away from the intended address , and saying the consignee gave him a letter allowing him to deliver air/ground together after commit time. Our lp guy spoke with consignee, who says they gave said driver no note.

We'll see if he gets rehired......he is in our center manager's crosshairs, has been fired within the last 6 months and has been a driver for about 8 years. He should definitely know better.

S

serenity now

someone else in the past gave the best answer to the query How to avoid being fired *
just can't remember who

show up, keep up, shut up

i will rep them in anonymity

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Off topic a bit but :
They are trying to suspend me for Recording while traveling at 1.2mph ...

They can't if their only proof is telematics.
The key here is to be aloof when questioned.
Don't confirm or deny the accusation, as they can only use telematics for discipline in cases of proven dishonesty.

Funny how this is such a sacred cow while they have no problem giving a new driver a map and sending them out in the blind.

menotyou

bella amicizia
They can't if their only proof is telematics.
The key here is to be aloof when questioned.
Don't confirm or deny the accusation, as they can only use telematics for discipline in cases of proven dishonesty.

Funny how this is such a sacred cow while they have no problem giving a new driver a map and a sandwich and sending them out in the blind.
That's what my on-car says.

Off topic a bit but :
They are trying to suspend me for Recording while traveling at 1.2mph ...
it never hurts to write up the telematics when these events keep showing up. Their system if flawed and they know it so keep writing it up. It go we you your own documentation.