What is another career progression with UPS outside of being a driver?

gtc08

Say one starts as a PT Package Handler. What other tracks are there besides being a driver after you put your time in, or does seniority only matter when it comes to driving. Thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Say one starts as a PT Package Handler. What other tracks are there besides being a driver after you put your time in, or does seniority only matter when it comes to driving. Thanks.

Are you talking about hourly or management? Options as an hourly are limited with the ultimate "goal" of driving. If you are talking management your options will again be limited unless you have your degree.

Go to upsjobs.com to get an idea of some of the positions within UPS.

My son is currently pursuing his MBA with a concentration in Supply Chain. After Peak our local HR and I are going to work together to see what can be done to get David in to UPS either in Operations or SCS. With the recent policy change he would not have to work 30 days as a hourly----he could go right in to a mgt position.

Johney

Are you talking about hourly or management? Options as an hourly are limited with the ultimate "goal" of driving. If you are talking management your options will again be limited unless you have your degree.

Go to upsjobs.com to get an idea of some of the positions within UPS.

My son is currently pursuing his MBA with a concentration in Supply Chain. After Peak our local HR and I are going to work together to see what can be done to get David in to UPS either in Operations or SCS. With the recent policy change he would not have to work 30 days as a hourly----he could go right in to a mgt position.
20 years ago Dave that would've been great, but do you really think that is a great career choice now? The way UPS treats their own? I think your son needs to take a real hard look at what he may be stepping into.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

20 years ago Dave that would've been great, but do you really think that is a great career choice now? The way UPS treats their own? I think your son needs to take a real hard look at what he may be stepping into.

It is just one of the options he is exploring.

UPS is no longer a career. He could take the industry-leading training and write his own ticket elsewhere.

He likes Atlanta. He dated the daughter of one of my former on-cars who now works at Corporate. He would also love to work at Worldport.

PT Car Washer

Plant engineering mechanic. Guys that fix the belts and everything. Tractor mechanics. Trailer mechanics. Package car mechanics. Porters. Guys that sweep the floors. Car wash or tractor wash. Article 22.3 FT. These are all union jobs that pay $30.00 an hour plus. Except Article 22.3.

Johney

It is just one of the options he is exploring.

UPS is no longer a career. He could take the industry-leading training and write his own ticket elsewhere.

He likes Atlanta. He dated the daughter of one of my former on-cars who now works at Corporate. He would also love to work at Worldport.
Good for him I wish him luck.

sox

You are seriously trying to get one of your kids to go to work for this company? I guess I Thought more highly of you. My kids both have advanced degrees helped by scholarships from teamsters & UPS After 30+ years of hearing me moan they both would have rushed by any UPS booth at a job fair

barnyard

KTM rider
You are seriously trying to get one of your kids to go to work for this company? I guess I Thought more highly of you.

You obviously have no idea what UPS's reputation is in the world of work.

UPS spends lots and lots of dough on salaried people (sales and managers.) Other companies value that training and will frequently place a UPS applicant over others that have the same type of experience in the industry.

I have seen several supes and managers leave UPS and find jobs that paid similar or more money within a week or 2 of leaving UPS.

A friend of mine works for SCS inside a major shippers location. His office is their location.

UPS is way, way, way more than a package company.

blkmamba

UPS spends lots and lots of dough on salaried people (sales and managers.) Other companies value that training and will frequently place a UPS applicant over others that have the same type of experience in the industry.

I have seen several supes and managers leave UPS and find jobs that paid similar or more money within a week or 2 of leaving UPS.

A friend of mine works for SCS inside a major shippers location. His office is their location.

Yep, those outside UPS see it as a industrial leader. My thing is, if they think we have this awesome managerial training program, what do other companies training look like?

browndingo

This is true. Anyone thinking of using UPS as a well-paid training opportunity should know, however, that management hires are asked to sign a non-compete agreement. That means if you leave UPS you agree not to go work for a competitor for a certain number of years.