What NOT to do

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Boy,
I love how speculation flies on this forum.
Lemme add...I say he was busy talking on a phone and throwing a monitor over a fence when he heard one of the dogs say "Ruhh Rohh". This immediately alerted him that something was wrong and he started running back to the truck. BTW, I say the trans. was completely in park and the parking brake on as tight as possible.

CJinx

The way he was running back toward the van tells me it was not mechanical failure.
Because the correct action to take when your vehicle rolls back even if you did put it in park and throw the e-brake on is to just shrug your shoulders and say :censored2: it; did my part not my problem, who cares if a 5,000+ lb runaway vehicle kills someone. :)

HomeDelivery

key words in this case: parking brake handle (or pedal for the GM/Ford/Nissan NV)

i know lots of HD drivers who forgets this simple task, as a ride-along & as a trainer...

i'm not even going to mention that he should have turned his wheel away from the curb on an uphill; basic driver's ed rite thurr

HomeDelivery

That is a first gen sprinter. It has the T1N front end and I'm pretty sure that's a dodge grill. Probably an 05-07. Though it is a bit hard to tell watching it on my phone. I could be wrong.

There's no flat spot on the gear selector where the operator could have put it in "false park". It either springs back in to reverse or locks in to park.

A mechanical failure on the nag1 transmission that would cause it to slip in to reverse just didn't happen.
Confident enough that id bet the farm if I was in Vegas.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oic...

did it have this type of setup?
2006-dodge-sprinter-2500-shc-158-wb-dashboard_100288193_m.jpg

or the newer style?

2009-dodge-sprinter-wagon-2500-144-dashboard_100251496_l.jpg

on the latter, it's not so evident to shift to P unless you really make sure the stick is all the way up... that shifter is like butter since it's basically electronic

as for the parking brakes, they are stout; i left it in gear once, but pulled my parking brake handle... it stayed in place

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
oic...

or the newer style?

sprinter-dash.jpg

on the latter, it's not so evident to shift to P unless you really make sure the stick is all the way up... that shifter is like butter since it's basically electronic

as for the parking brakes, they are stout; i left it in gear once, but pulled my parking brake handle... it stayed in place

Wow! That sure looks purty. Fancy cupholder! Where is all the dirt? Most of the Sprinters I've been in of this model, the emergency brake is worthless. They usually have 200-300,000+ miles on them and noone bothers to write them up because they are spares.

HomeDelivery

I worked today and we had tons of Amazon. I guess having Fred and Dave slam them for crappy packaging (true) and then blaming them for our problems hasn't convinced Bezos that FedEx is a loser.

ok, derail time...

did you volunteer to work Saturdays now or you are moved into a tues-sat workweek?

HomeDelivery

Wow! That sure looks purty. Fancy cupholder! Where is all the dirt? Most of the Sprinters I've been in of this model, the emergency brake is worthless. They usually have 200-300,000+ miles on them and noone bothers to write them up because they are spares.

op-n, did you driven both styles? were the 1st gen that hard to shift to park?!?

nevertheless, it's very easy for the layman mechanic to adjust the parking brake shoes:

http://www.autocarepro.com/Article/117083/brake_job_on_20002006_mercedesbenz_sprinter_van.aspx

if you don't wanna read that weblink, here it is in video form:

even a simpleton like me can do it... so write those up/ red-tag 'em

i knew of a stepvan that didn't pass inspection due to inop parking brakes & it wasn't allowed to be on the road

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
op-n, did you driven both styles? were the 1st gen that hard to shift to park?!?

nevertheless, it's very easy for the layman mechanic to adjust the parking brake shoes:

http://www.autocarepro.com/Article/117083/brake_job_on_20002006_mercedesbenz_sprinter_van.aspx

if you don't wanna read that weblink, here it is in video form:

Yes. I've driven both, many times. It does take some getting used to to shift it into park. I'll pass on the video. Not my cup of tea. Lol.

STFXG

oic...

or the newer style?

2009-dodge-sprinter-wagon-2500-144-dashboard_100251496_l.jpg

The first pic is the first gen like he was driving. To put it in park you have to push it all the way up and it goes over a bit. There's no neutral location like some auto transmissions. If you put it anywhere in between park or reverse it will either lock in to park or spring down in to reverse.

The second pic is a 2008+ nafta sprinter. Way more comfy than the first gen. I have both models.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HomeDelivery

ha, kewl beans... it's gonna be an interesting AM safety meeting tomorrow:drinkntypesmili1:

another de-rail: last monday for free iced coffee at Dunkin'

2011-09-29_14-44-26_813.jpg

Last edited: