What percentage of trucks are automatic?

J

jibbs

I don't think it matters what percentage of trucks are automatic considering it's required to know how to drive a stick for them to let you through into driving school/Intergrad.

AndUPSER

I guess a FedEx woman named Mark who can't pass a drug test, resulting in termination from FedEx, wants to start out driving a nice automatic at UPS. Good luck.

J

jibbs

All the newbies are driving them!

WTF?

Really?

:censored2:, man, maybe I should just sign the bid sheet then even though I've never driven a manual in my life...

I mean, with peak coming they might be desperate, right? I might even get to keep my beard, too....

I guess a FedEx woman named Mark who can't pass a drug test, resulting in termination from FedEx, wants to start out driving a nice automatic at UPS. Good luck.

Keep in mind, now, a person can fail a UA one week and pass without a problem the next. Hell, sometimes it's only a matter of days, circumstantially speaking.

J

jibbs

[EDIT: lolololol, I can't explain the double post. I've either got a :censored2:ed computer or am a little too twisted to just hit enter once. I'll blame it on the day-drinking.]

Really?

:censored2:, man, maybe I should just sign the bid sheet then even though I've never driven a manual in my life...

I mean, with peak coming they might be desperate, right? I might even get to keep my beard, too....

Keep in mind, now, a person can fail a UA one week and pass without a problem the next. Hell, sometimes it's only a matter of days, circumstantially speaking.
They make them qualify ,the drivers test on a stick. After that ,brand new auomatic trucks!
Are they really that desperate? Never seen anything like it. before!

OptimusPrime

Bid routes are probably at 95%. I can only think of one manual route. As to splits, seems heading toward 75%. Maybe a tad higher. Depending on how big of a truck they need. The real blessing is we no longer have a single truck in the lineup without power steering. Almost to during peak.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
They are called package cars not vans. The manuals are not switched over to automatics they are replace with automatics when there useful life spans is over.

Your post is very good, but I have one correction. The package cars are replaced about 8 years after their useful life span, some of the older trucks I have driven if they were human I would have pulled the plug on already

JL 0513

About 50-60% of my building is auto. About 15% of our fleet are still the horrible 1987-1989 POS's. They just refuse to retire them. I get the economics but it's still so aggrevating going through a day without power steering. It's very telling that out of all the physical energy that a driver expends in a day, steering the wheel in one of these beasts all day takes more work than everything else combined, especially on a city route. In 2014, it's completely ridiculous.

So IMO, manuals aren't the biggest problem, non- power steering is what kills a workday.