What would you have done? More important, what will you do in the future?

bigmistake

I'm a Saturday Air Driver. Today I was delivering to a businness in an Industrial Park. I back up to the dock, following methods honk the horn every 3 to 5 seconds. Open rear doors and knock on the dock door. after a few minutes the receiver asked me if I thought laying on the horn like that was supposed to get him to the door any faster. He further told me that I would have to walk to a pedestrian door some 50 feet away and ring a door bell to make the delivery, starting now. Keep in mind we are face to face and I am ready to make this delivery now. I have the package ready and I'm trying to hand him the DIAD to sign.

His indication was he wasn't going to sign until I walked to their pedestrian door and ring a bell. What did I do, bit my tongue, deliver, MC Man, check mark.

curiousbrain

Do what the man says; you are not doing UPS a favor by showing up to work, you are doing your job. If, as a result of doing your job, the customer of the company you work for gives you a bunch of crap and tells you to come in the building another way, do it.

Maybe that particular persons wife cheated on him the night before, or maybe his dog got ran over by a car, or maybe he is just a giant buttwipe. Regardless, it's what you're paid for, right? If I am the taxman, I can't go back to Uncle Sam and tell him "Well, this guy *really* didn't want to pay taxes, and plus he was a giant butthole to boot."

edit: I hasten to add that this is just my opinion; it is just one out of many.

UPSGUY72

I'm a Saturday Air Driver. Today I was delivering to a businness in an Industrial Park. I back up to the dock, following methods honk the horn every 3 to 5 seconds. Open rear doors and knock on the dock door. after a few minutes the receiver asked me if I thought laying on the horn like that was supposed to get him to the door any faster. He further told me that I would have to walk to a pedestrian door some 50 feet away and ring a door bell to make the delivery, starting now. Keep in mind we are face to face and I am ready to make this delivery now. I have the package ready and I'm trying to hand him the DIAD to sign.

His indication was he wasn't going to sign until I walked to their pedestrian door and ring a bell. What did I do, bit my tongue, deliver, MC Man, check mark.

How many packages did you have ?? It couldn't have been many it was SAT probably only one. WHY DID YOU BACK UP ???? First rule of backing you need to follow avoid all unnecessary backing. Backing up to a dock for one package is unnecessary and took you longer than it would have to just walk off the stop.

bigblu 2 you

did you explain to him our reasons for tapping the horn while backing? and i would have him tell me where he wants his next delivery and stick by that in future. there is always a jerk out there but they seem to fade when you use the mono tone android type responses.oh by the way did you try to get a sales lead from him?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds as though this is the first time that you have delivered to this stop. You did the right thing by biting your tongue, walking to the pedestian door, and completing the delivery. But, MC Man? That is how you would complete a driver release.

over9five

Staff member
It sounds as though this is the first time that you have delivered to this stop. You did the right thing by biting your tongue, walking to the pedestian door, and completing the delivery. But, MC Man? That is how you would complete a driver release.

No way! The receiver was rude. If he would not sign at the dock when I was face to face with him, that package would have been RTSd as refused.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No way! The receiver was rude. If he would not sign at the dock when I was face to face with him, that package would have been RTSd as refused.

Over, you are a veteran with 20+ years, as am I. The OP is a Saturday air driver with much less experience. RTSing that pkg and driving away would have escalated an already tense situation and probably earned the OP a sit-down with the center manager Monday morning.

I still say he did the right thing given his status within the company.

I am not saying that I would or would not have done the same, but that is the difference between a 20+ year veteran and a Saturday air driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And you are right. I just have zero patience with rude people, and wouldn't have put up with his foolishness.

I agree that the receiver was a jerk and, if it were me, I would have loved to have RTS'd it and drove away. But, I will tell you that I would have also bit my tongue, walked to the pedestrian door and completed the delivery, making sure to wish him a nice day on my way back to the PC.

Saturday delivery issues are not taken lightly.

Big Babooba

How many packages did you have ?? You don't know It couldn't have been many it was SAT probably only one. Again, you don't know WHY DID YOU BACK UP ???? First rule of backing you need to follow avoid all unnecessary backing. Backing up to a dock for one package is unnecessary and took you longer than it would have to just walk off the stop. You are assuming it was one package.
If it was an over 70 and/or an oversize package, wouldn't you deliver it to the dock? I would especially if I had to climb stairs to reach the pedestrian door with said package. Why risk injuring yourself? If the delivery is one that be safely carried in then go to the pedestrian door.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
First, I wouldn't back up to a dock for one package if I didn't have too. When the customer complained about the horn, I would have just explained that it was a safety method that UPS tells all its driver to do. And if the consignee wanted you to go to a side door, then bite your tongue and do it. If he then refused to to sign for the package, that means its refused. Saturday driving is like when I did EAMs, you are dealing with a lot of unfamiliar stops and you have no idea how the regular driver handles his customers.

DS

Fenderbender
Here's another option,drive around to the front office,grab the pkg,find the bosses office and tell him the guy in the back was being difficult,and ask if he would sign for it.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I am not saying that I would or would not have done the same, but that is the difference between a 20+ year veteran and a Saturday air driver.

Not saying that thats not true, but saying it SHOULDN'T be. If its acceptable for one driver (20 year vet) than it should be JUST as acceptable for an air driver or someone with only a year in OR less

over9five

Staff member
Not saying that thats not true, but saying it SHOULDN'T be. If its acceptable for one driver (20 year vet) than it should be JUST as acceptable for an air driver or someone with only a year in OR less

If you're face to face with the receiver who refuses to sign, that is a refused package no matter how many years you have in.

If you want to tuck your tail between your legs, and walk over to the pedestrian door and have the same guy sign who you were just face to face with at the dock, more power to you.