What would you have done? More important, what will you do in the future?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I very rarely sound horn now as I have had several complaints. If UPS fitted audible reversing beepers to their vehicles like other carriers, this problem wouldn't arise. Same with sounding horn when arriving at a residental stop. I've been threatened with a brick through window If I did it again at 0800hrs.

I would just continue honking even despite the brick threat, in fact, I would honk MORE. What's your management team going to get on you about.....you're using THEIR methods so keep on honkin' and tell them to piss off

tracker2762

When I used to have a commercial route, I didn't use the RTS trick. After waiting a resonable amount of time I would pull out my delivery notice, fill it out, scan it, hand it to the customer and politely whisper so I don't disturb them. "I'll come back later". Which would mean tomorrow. Usually when I turn around I hear "Wait I'll sign".

kingOFchester

When I used to have a commercial route, I didn't use the RTS trick. After waiting a resonable amount of time I would pull out my delivery notice, fill it out, scan it, hand it to the customer and politely whisper so I don't disturb them. "I'll come back later". Which would mean tomorrow. Usually when I turn around I hear "Wait I'll sign".
Like that....will use in the future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would just continue honking even despite the brick threat, in fact, I would honk MORE. What's your management team going to get on you about.....you're using THEIR methods so keep on honkin' and tell them to piss off

Using the methods and being a jerk are two different things.

I can tell you are not a methd driver.

packageguy

Let me say,you did the right thing. You didn't know area, now you do,
next time pullin in out position. know reason to back up .
Good thing you bit your tongue. Not worth it

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a fine line between merely tolerating an obnoxious customer and being subjected to verbal abuse. Sometimes that line is fuzzy. I can accept the former but I will not accept the latter.

The customer certainly has the right to instruct us (within reason) which door they wish us to use for deliveries. But when that customer is standing right in front of us and tells us he "wont sign for the box until we walk over to that door and ring the bell" just to be a jerk and make a point, he has crossed the over the "obnoxious" line and is now being verbally abusive.

In the situation described, I would politely inform the customer that I will be more than happy to make all future deliveries to the door of his choosing, but that for today I will go ahead and get his signature for the package here and now. If he refused to sign, I would keep my mouth shut, sheet the package as refused and RTS it. My responsibility to be polite and professional towards UPS's customers does not have to be fulfilled at the expense of my self-respect and dignity.

AKCoverMan

There is a lot to be said for being the bigger person in this instance. As others have pointed out if it’s a Sat delivery some paid big money for it and while the delivery may not be important to dock boy it is probably important to someone there and they are causing UPS to be paid a lot of money for it and some of that money is going to your paycheck.

Having said that I can sympathize with how you feel. I had a delivery this week at a four-plex with a locked common door that has no individual doorbells for contacting the units inside. How stupid yet there are a lot of these kind of buildings. If there is a phone number on the package I will call it, otherwise I knock on the common door and start writing out an infonotice. I always write the 800-PICK- UPS with a sharpie on the front of my infonotices because nobody reads the micetype on the back.

At this particular stop there was no phone number, nobody came to the common door, so NI1 away I go. The next day I get an ODS asking me my ETA to attempt this stop. I reply with my best guess and ask if the center has a phone number for the customer. They do.

I show up (10 mins ahead of my ETA guess) and call the number. The customer comes to the door and asks if I was the one who tried to deliver yesterday. Says he was home all day. Accuses me of not even attempting the delivery. When I explained that I was there, quoted the time from my service cross, and pointed out that there is no way to contact units inside the building he said I should have knocked on windows of the building until he came out.

Whatever. “Well, sir, it’s good I’m here now. Sign here please.” Stop complete!

Still it bugged me. I guess it’s good we have the forum to blow off steam about such idiots. They really need not ruin our day!

tarbar66

:happy2:
I guess the regular driver does not honk when backing up to the dock.
As a 24 yr driver I have met many small people trying to feel better about themselves exerting what little power they have.
I always try and give them that grace.
I will not stand for physical or verbal abuse from any one, but, I will respect the customers wishes.
UPS pays me 50 cents a minute to walk over and ring a bell and the one that answers the door probably makes 17 cents a minute.
I would never RTS a package without direct refusal.
On the job, the only emotion I convey is compassion.
Only on BC do I reveal what an ass I can be.

I'm glad for your comment, I needed a laugh this morning!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Juat an aside about people with power......

Have you ever been at the front door of a store just minutes before opening time ??? Do you see the manager through the window, strutting around with his key on the lanyard around his neck? He waits 'til the very last second before the opening time.....perhaps a second or two past....just to show you he is all powerful and controls your forward movement. I hate that person!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Juat an aside about people with power......

Have you ever been at the front door of a store just minutes before opening time ??? Do you see the manager through the window, strutting around with his key on the lanyard around his neck? He waits 'til the very last second before the opening time.....perhaps a second or two past....just to show you he is all powerful and controls your forward movement. I hate that person!!

Especially at the liquor store