When do you sheet a package as emergency conditions?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It was one of those long country gravel drive ways on a slight incline. Everything had been matted down by the owners driving on it. Im one to walk off long driveways to avoid a back, but not this long. Walked it off today as it was pretty much thawed, and since I was sick of seeing the stop in the truck. Guy was saying how everyone else managed to get down there no problem and was pretty unhappy. Told me I was in the wrong profession if I couldn't get down his driveway. I just said "alright" and walked back while he was talking. I like to think I made the right choices in terms of what houses I've ec'd. Easy money standing there listening to him though.
I'd like to slap people senseless when they pull the 'everyone else gets here' card. No kidding, dips--t. Every car in your driveway is a 4x4.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sadly this could be the same kind of customer who, if you had tried to drive in and slid off the road and nicked a tree or a fence post would have scolded you for trying to drive in.
Yep. One of my first years I got a message to attempt a package because customer said they had been driving in and out of the dead road for a couple of days.

Well 2.5 hours later I had delivered the package spent almost two hours getting unstuck and almost slid into the woods a few times. Told myself NEVER AGAIN.

Packmule

It was one of those long country gravel drive ways on a slight incline. Everything had been matted down by the owners driving on it. Im one to walk off long driveways to avoid a back, but not this long. Walked it off today as it was pretty much thawed, and since I was sick of seeing the stop in the truck. Guy was saying how everyone else managed to get down there no problem and was pretty unhappy. Told me I was in the wrong profession if I couldn't get down his driveway. I just said "alright" and walked back while he was talking. I like to think I made the right choices in terms of what houses I've ec'd. Easy money standing there listening to him though.
I Just point out how anal UPS is about accidents, especially on private drives, and put the blame where it belongs.

upschuck

Doesn't have to be weather. Could have a road that's closes or impassable.
Agree. Like a tree across or the town closed a road. I use my phone and take a picture. For a cya moment

You can't EC a road closed because of construction, there are other ways to get there. That is using it for reasons not intended.

So if a road is closed for 2 months to fix a bridge, you are going to EC those stops on the other side for 2 months? No, you find another way to get there.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
You can't EC a road closed because of construction, there are other ways to get there. That is using it for reasons not intended.

So if a road is closed for 2 months to fix a bridge, you are going to EC those stops on the other side for 2 months? No, you find another way to get there.
Or sell the package to another route...

What's under the snow? Not worth getting hurt over.
58755655.jpg

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I am not going past a sign saying road closed. If something happened. It's. Your ass. Not mine.

3 done 3 to go

Also if a bridge is closed. It is usually by the bridge. Not for the whole road. That is the only time. Still not going thru a road closed sign

DriverMD

I'd like to slap people senseless when they pull the 'everyone else gets here' card. No kidding, dips--t. Every car in your driveway is a 4x4.
The guy was mentioning his rwd bmw getting there among his little Honda. Idk I'm only 7 months into driving so I dont have the best handle on how different trucks perform in different types of winter weather. Already busted out the chains to get off a relatively flat sheet of ice, not gonna go DOWN a snowy driveway that ill need to get back UP.

upschuck

I am not going past a sign saying road closed. If something happened. It's. Your ass. Not mine.
Correct, you find a different way, if there is no different way, which would be highly unlikely, because people would need to get out for food and work, then sheet as an appropriate OND which isn't EC like Other, other bridge out. You normally know about major construction like that, and can plan accordingly.
Also if a bridge is closed. It is usually by the bridge. Not for the whole road. That is the only time. Still not going thru a road closed sign
Nobody said to go through a road closed sign. You find an alternate route, unless you are afraid of too many miles.

3 done 3 to go

The guy was mentioning his rwd bmw getting there among his little Honda. Idk I'm only 7 months into driving so I dont have the best handle on how different trucks perform in different types of winter weather. Already busted out the chains to get off a relatively flat sheet of ice, not gonna go DOWN a snowy driveway that ill need to get back UP.

Tell him to take the tires off the rims. Then he will be driving a UPS truck in the snow

Brownslave688

We had a feeder driver that came back from feeders try exactly this. It was the first house after a bridge. 1 mile down the road or 20+ miles around the other way.

Guess who was running the route when the customer called to complain a week later. Yours truely.

Brownslave688

The problem for me has never been getting up to the house. It's getting turned around once you're up there.

Those little cars don't need near as much room.

Packmule

One of our now retired sups used to say, "I support anybody's right to live where they choose, but if it's not on a road our vehicles can safely manage we are under no obligation to try. it's their obligation to provide an alternative option."

Brownslave688

Correct, you find a different way, if there is no different way, which would be highly unlikely, because people would need to get out for food and work, then sheet as an appropriate OND which isn't EC like Other, other bridge out. You normally know about major construction like that, and can plan accordingly.

Nobody said to go through a road closed sign. You find an alternate route, unless you are afraid of too many miles.
How about moving 600 head of cattle across the road? Lol

andrsnbkj

If ups had 4x4s we wouldn't have as many ecds just saying I don't mind walking off stops but when you have a long narrow dirt rd pack full of snow what do you do or even hills to climb not worth it to get into an accident