Winter Driving

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-23.jpeg

Re-Raise

If you get stuck, just call the center and tell them that you pulled in the driveway to save your 7 year old nephew who was drowning. Should work like a charm, and you will be a hero.

Cementups

Box Monkey
In 18 years of driving I think I have had chains on only 3 times. And if I had to put chains on, it must have been really bad out. I love driving in the snow and chains don't help that passion.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In 18 years of driving I think I have had chains on only 3 times. And if I had to put chains on, it must have been really bad out. I love driving in the snow and chains don't help that passion.

Yup. Don't ask for new tires in November. Go out and drift that b*tch like a banger!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yup. Don't ask for new tires in November. Go out and drift that b*tch like a banger!

One night I was doing donuts in a large freshly snowed on cul-de-sac in front of one of my house pickups. Wasn't even thinking about people being home. Was just spinning the truck. Once I was done playing I pulled up to the curb and walked through the snow to the front door and the guy opened the door with a huge smile and laughing and asked if I was having fun. I was shocked because I didn't even think about anyone watching. Said he was really enjoying watching me "play" in the snow and didn't think a UPS truck could do that. Ha ha ha. And it was an automatic too. 700 with the slider rear doors. Nice and light when empty. ;)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
One night I was doing donuts in a large freshly snowed on cul-de-sac in front of one of my house pickups. Wasn't even thinking about people being home. Was just spinning the truck. Once I was done playing I pulled up to the curb and walked through the snow to the front door and the guy opened the door with a huge smile and laughing and asked if I was having fun. I was shocked because I didn't even think about anyone watching. Said he was really enjoying watching me "play" in the snow and didn't think a UPS truck could do that. Ha ha ha. And it was an automatic too. 700 with the slider rear doors. Nice and light when empty. ;)

Did that once in an old GMC 500 on an iced over parking lot. That thing just wouldn't stop spinning!

Laughed my butt clean off!

BigBeef42

Friggin Sweet

Now the snow sounds alright!

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Now, this has me wondering. The newer trucks have ABS, but do any have traction control or vehicle stability systems?

Those may require yaw sensors that would almost certainly be tied into telematics.

Goodbye fun.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Friggin Sweet

Now the snow sounds alright!

It's just like a regular car. You should be comfortable driving it in any condition. I know when my kids are old enough to drive, empty snowy parking lots are definitely on the to-do list. Being uncomfortable and scared is the first step to disaster.

BigBeef42

I actually love driving my personal car in the snow.

But ive never driven a heavy a$ß PC In it.

Do they handle well?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
From experience when do you prefer to put ur chains on?

When, where, and with how much snow/ice?

Ill find out soon enough, but i like to know crap well in advance.

Let me put it this way.

I have never once regretted putting chains on, but there have been several times I have regretted NOT putting them on.

Without knowing the particulars of your route it is impossible to give a definitive answer. Is your route hilly? Are you driving on packed powder or on wet, heavy slush with a layer of ice beneath? Got good tires? Got weight in the back? Are your roads typically plowed?

My advice to you would be to ask if you could come in and learn how to put chains on before work one morning, or at night when you get back (on the clock, of course). Its a lot easier to do on bare, level pavement in the daylight. I can install and remove a set of chains in about 20 minutes, which is about 1/6th of the time it takes for a tow truck to pull me out because I didnt have them on. Bottom line is, its better to be safe than sorry.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=bucknbi01. He had decent stats but he aint getting in the hall at all, not even close if I were a betting man.
2700 hits and a .289 ave without roids and an awesome glove too!! Its a dam shame he is remembered only for the Gm 6 fiasco,but a true Red Sox fan knows it was the Gedman passed ball and a rookie reliever that blew the game and a azzwipe knucklehead manager John McNamara !! I think Buckner was in LF the nite the real HR KIng hit 715 !!