2008 Contract Issues

any122

adirondack man
Do you hear yourself, "I will take smaller raises for a better pension..."? Are you insane!! Give me my raises and also give me the money you are putting toward my pension. Let me save for my retirement on my own!!!
Vote the APWA in and get the representation and pension we deserve.A union for the people by the people.:thumbup1:

Bill

I would really like to see the pension issue resolved. I think it is extremely unfair to have your pension divided up among companies who are no longer contributing to the fund.

I can not see this being swept away in the give and take portion, or atleast I would hope not.

As for the extra pension contribution based on hours worked, at the current rate, you probably won't see any extra pension value, because it will be spent before you retire.

I currently do not work in package, so I can not comment on that part.

Just a thought from someone in mgmt.
I have been working for UPS over 25 years. When I started, we were told that we had a decent pension and excellent benefits. That was the case then, but not any longer. Why should someone start working for UPS today, when the pension is decreasing and the medical benefits are getting worse each year. Blue-cross has stopped paying for many procedures and when they do, we have to file appeal after appeal before they pay up. It is getting aggravating just to go to the doctor. Why isn't the UPS management team stepping in and demanding that the money they pay for their employees benefits go to their employees? Does management really want 60 year old package car drivers who can barely walk deliver 5 stops per hour? Feeder drivers can't retire because of all the restrictions that the Teamsters has placed on us, so your workforce of package car drivers will be getting older and older each year. Do you remember the company that UPS ran out of business? Railroad Express. Why? One reason is that the drivers were old men and couldn't do much. Do you want the same fate to befall UPS? I don't think so. It is time that management stepped in and did something!!!! Afterall, they are paying billions of dollars each year and getting little for their money.

Braveheart

I agree with that %100. I could do a much better job investing in my retirement than the thieving IBT. :wink:
I was one who stood out there on the strike line and told UPS they were full of it when they said they could not afford to make the wage and pension increases and still be in business. And we were right they could afford it. But we are the best paid and for good reason. However Fed Ex is getting better with cheaper costs and DHL is paying their workers peanuts. Now DHL is terrible but with all of the cut routes at UPS our customer service is not what it used to be. My plan was to include quality of life improvements since money does not buy happiness. Yearly raises yes, just a tad lower is all, pension increases, how about 401k matching funds, an extra week of vacation at 5 years, more full time jobs and full time combo jobs, the ability to convert 1 week of vacation to 5 option or personal days, lite duty during regular work hours and for both on and off job injuries and illnesses, more job protections, vacations and other benefits for our military workers, the ability to get paid straight time if you need to skip your lunch at your choice to get home, newer improved trucks with all trucks having power steering and heat exhaust fans at the back of all trucks, etc etc etc

Ironshot

I was one who stood out there on the strike line and told UPS they were full of it when they said they could not afford to make the wage and pension increases and still be in business. And we were right they could afford it. But we are the best paid and for good reason. However Fed Ex is getting better with cheaper costs and DHL is paying their workers peanuts. Now DHL is terrible but with all of the cut routes at UPS our customer service is not what it used to be. My plan was to include quality of life improvements since money does not buy happiness. Yearly raises yes, just a tad lower is all, pension increases, how about 401k matching funds, an extra week of vacation at 5 years, more full time jobs and full time combo jobs, the ability to convert 1 week of vacation to 5 option or personal days, lite duty during regular work hours and for both on and off job injuries and illnesses, more job protections, vacations and other benefits for our military workers, the ability to get paid straight time if you need to skip your lunch at your choice to get home, newer improved trucks with all trucks having power steering and heat exhaust fans at the back of all trucks, etc etc etc
Braveheart,
Keep pushing for change, we at UPSF are signing all the break bulk facilities to the APWA. These facilities are key to the ops in the freight lanes. If you haven't decided on voting for the APWA yet, I encourage you to think long and hard at letting the status quot stay as it is with the IBT "looking after you"

twnjrspc

Braveheart,
Keep pushing for change, we at UPSF are signing all the break bulk facilities to the APWA. These facilities are key to the ops in the freight lanes. If you haven't decided on voting for the APWA yet, I encourage you to think long and hard at letting the status quot stay as it is with the IBT "looking after you"
Ironshot,
"The evolution of labor, vote APWA"

Hmmn...Now lets see! you've gone from telling Fredles in your quote 9 days ago on 11/2/06:

I have never needed or wanted a Union in my work place...I found a great job with a wonderful trucking company called Overnite.. I excepted the pay and benefits.. Great laid back work environment.

To becoming the advovate for "The evolution of labor, vote APWA"

No spin here, RIGHT? :gun_banda Does the truth come out of any orifice of your body? You seem to use the lower extremities the most.:confused:1

Braveheart

Braveheart,
I think the jury is still out on the APWA. The vote for union president is important. The congressional elections are important too. The American people have voted and it was a "THUMPING" in the presidents own words. I think now is time for change with the teamsters as well. My local president is great. I just don't think the top officers get it or care. But when your President never went to war, and your Teamster president never did a real teamster job, this is what you get. I have never been in the military, Air Force, or even a novice pilot. But after watching these two, Bush and Hoffa, both get voted in on name recognition, I am changing my name to Han Solo and applying to NASA for their top post. I think I got a shot.

B

boyzinbrown

i personally would like to see something done with the pension...i started when i was 18..was looking forward to starting a new life at 50...now looking at 57....7 more years...i agree with some of the comments about using all the overtime as well towrds the pension....

Ironshot

Ironshot,

Hmmn...Now lets see! you've gone from telling Fredles in your quote 9 days ago on 11/2/06:

I have never needed or wanted a Union in my work place...I found a great job with a wonderful trucking company called Overnite.. I excepted the pay and benefits.. Great laid back work environment.

No spin here, RIGHT? :gun_banda Does the truth come out of any orifice of your body? You seem to use the lower extremities the most.:confused:1
Not at all, If you read all posts you would see the big picture, If you work for package you'd say you're gonna need representation. I've heard this from every feeder driver I've ever spoken with... So as I see "Overnite" get digested by UPS I see the changes, the Terminal Managers whom once got the answers to your questions now just shrug their shoulders, it's like talking to a vending machine. Sound familiar? Job descriptions are being rewritten by the week. As you witness this it is not hard to see the future.
The employees getting tired of this, wanting to show the company they are mad, they go running to the closest thing they believe can help, that is the IBT to seek representation. I personally, would survive at UPS without representation for a while, but this leaves future planning uncertain. One thinks? Old corrupt Teamsters? Or the outfit that was founded by good workers once Teamster. Van & Danny have seen the
BS time and time again. They have put it all on the line, nobody does this without a sense of "there is nothing to loose". If they have the metal for this APWA push, I have nothing to loose either.
I'll never sign a card for the IBT ever. Yes I could quit and get another great job most anywhere within 24 hrs earning basically the same cash and bennies. If you were my co worker you also would have heard me say on many occasions, " I like the idea of representation" BUT not Teamster style. Take a survey on your own. Ask random people "What comes to mind when you hear the word Teamster?" I guarantee you ask anyone with any financial or business interests and they will give you a thug/criminal/mob affilliation like response. As "their" perception of the Teamsters. Then ask some old drivers (most likely former teamster)at a truckstop if they have ever worked as a Teamster? Listen to what they haven't gotten? As promised. After doing this, if you still feel wonderful sticking with the Teamsters then stay with them!
This doesn't mean you or maybe the majority of IBT members are "Thug like" Just stuck in a situation you can tolerate and you aren't uncomfortable enough to quit and work as non union. ( I don't like the idea of a UPS package as non union, the good jobs would go away) So you support what you know.

I also believe that UPS doesn't have a clue on how to deal with a "non union" work force our size. UPS has had the union contract process so long, they know nothing else. Once again, If I believed UPSF could stay "happy" non union I would be for this. Given UPS' reputation and the proximity of the IBT. I can't see my wish coming true. So it's the APWA and the "Evolution of Labor" Maybe I gave you to much information? Question is are you going to evolve or go extinct?
Without UPS' cash the IBT is going, going, gone! As it is now without the APWA, the IBT is beholden to Eskew and he sees this; so don't expect any great improvements under the IBT "New Contract" The IBT will take what it gets and like it. Does this sound like "representation" of any quality? So stay with the IBT yes you can! But how long will the party last? Even if you make it to retirement this doesn't help you, the pension funds are behind and with no new large influx of members you still lose. As I to will loose with Social Security in 2027.
Hope this helps you some?

Ironshot

Ironshot,

Twnjrspc,

If one is quoting, perhaps use the correct context? Also, as to your attempts at impuining my thoughts and message, you'll need to do better.
The threads are there to read in there complete form. There is no reason to come to your level and sling insults about.
It'll be a choice of either the APWA or the IBT (Teamsters), I'll go with the APWA after the love the IBT showed us at Overnite. All the brick tossings, driver shootings, threats, and insults. I know enough about the IBT. Thanks. Should I post the DVD sent to us on youtube? Again, we didn't stike "Overnite" the Teamsters called the strike and CF, Roadway, Holland and yellow drivers walked the line. A very few employees did. So please, tell us the quality side of the Teamsters! It shouldn't take long.
Once again, I'll support the APWA. It has the best chance to keep Upsers
quality of life at work and home as anything out there.
Now Twnjrspc, please tell who you are and the interest you have in this issue? I have! Are you a BA or SS come on don't be scared. Once everyone knows your connections, everyone can either give your words added weight or toss them out as IBT propaganda. Or do you believe that you won't win in the arena of ideas?
That's no spin!

tocewl

I work at a major UPSF hub, there is no talk of organizing going on, I don't expect any in our area until sometme after the first of the year, if then

nospinzone

I work at a major UPSF hub, there is no talk of organizing going on, I don't expect any in our area until sometme after the first of the year, if then
Interesting. Where is your hub? And what is the talk about? Is everyone happy with current working conditions, mgmt?

twnjrspc

Twnjrspc,

If one is quoting, perhaps use the correct context? Also, as to your attempts at impuining my thoughts and message, you'll need to do better.
The threads are there to read in there complete form. There is no reason to come to your level and sling insults about.
It'll be a choice of either the APWA or the IBT (Teamsters), I'll go with the APWA after the love the IBT showed us at Overnite. All the brick tossings, driver shootings, threats, and insults. I know enough about the IBT. Thanks. Should I post the DVD sent to us on youtube? Again, we didn't stike "Overnite" the Teamsters called the strike and CF, Roadway, Holland and yellow drivers walked the line. A very few employees did. So please, tell us the quality side of the Teamsters! It shouldn't take long.
Once again, I'll support the APWA. It has the best chance to keep Upsers
quality of life at work and home as anything out there.
Now Twnjrspc, please tell who you are and the interest you have in this issue? I have! Are you a BA or SS come on don't be scared. Once everyone knows your connections, everyone can either give your words added weight or toss them out as IBT propaganda. Or do you believe that you won't win in the arena of ideas?
That's no spin!

ironshot,

I've made it quite clear to you in previous posts that I am not a HOFFA supporter. That's the IBT you keep refering to, HOFFA"S! He's the one that hung the Overnite drivers out to dry, after all of Ron Carey's hard work. I can't blame you for feeling bitter towards "him and his kind" for that, but that's not me! there are many of us that fight the good fight to bring reform to the IBT. We've been working hard to get Tom L elected to bring about the change that's needed. as far as this APWA vs IBT, I don't give a rats behind who represents YOU. In fact, I kind of like the idea of you overnite guys having the "PAPER TIGER" aka. APWA, represent you. If it really exists that is.
As far as who I am...I'm just a Teamster truck driver, fighting for reform. My only interest was in your anti-union chatter. You've made some progress though. Now at least you're a union advocate. Don't be a hater towards all of us in the IBT.

Ironshot

ironshot,

I've made it quite clear to you in previous posts that I am not a HOFFA supporter. That's the IBT you keep refering to, HOFFA"S! He's the one that hung the Overnite drivers out to dry, after all of Ron Carey's hard work. I can't blame you for feeling bitter towards "him and his kind" for that, but that's not me! there are many of us that fight the good fight to bring reform to the IBT. We've been working hard to get Tom L elected to bring about the change that's needed. as far as this APWA vs IBT, I don't give a rats behind who represents YOU. In fact, I kind of like the idea of you overnite guys having the "PAPER TIGER" aka. APWA, represent you. If it really exists that is.
As far as who I am...I'm just a Teamster truck driver, fighting for reform. My only interest was in your anti-union chatter. You've made some progress though. Now at least you're a union advocate. Don't be a hater towards all of us in the IBT.
twnjrspc,
Thanks, nice to see we are headed to the middle, even if it is from the opposite ends of the spectrum.

wkmac

Pelosi: Fast-Track Minimum Wage Bill

I would guess this will add some pressure to the contract talks when it comes to the starting PT wage and even more so if it passes. But now that is a guess on my part and compounding this is the fact that both these parties in the past are known for very stupid moves. I only expect more of the same!

JMO

UPSMIL

Military Leave

Has anyone actually seen the UPS Military Leave Policy in writing? They don't seem to have an actual policy that addresses pay, "make up" pay, or anything else. They have a rumor mill regarding "mobilization to support the War on Terror" but nothing in print. Anecdotally, some reservists have been activated and received full pay...for several months in some cases...but no one seems to be able to answer the question. What is the pay policy for UPSers activated to temporary duty?

J

JonFrum

Re: Military Leave

Has anyone actually seen the UPS Military Leave Policy in writing? They don't seem to have an actual policy that addresses pay, "make up" pay, or anything else. They have a rumor mill regarding "mobilization to support the War on Terror" but nothing in print. Anecdotally, some reservists have been activated and received full pay...for several months in some cases...but no one seems to be able to answer the question. What is the pay policy for UPSers activated to temporary duty?

UPSMIL,

This exerpt is from the UPS Pressroom website:

ATLANTA, July 4, 2004 . . . Every employee who has served on active duty and returned to work will receive a plaque from the company. UPS currently has nearly 400 employees still on active duty out of a total of more than 4,000 reservists among its U.S. employee base of 317,000.

When employees are called to active duty, UPS provides additional benefits that go beyond what most companies offer. For up to 12 months, UPS makes up any difference between the UPS salary and military pay and continues the employee’s life insurance. The company also continues health-care coverage for the employee’s family, ensuring that loved ones can rely on their same family physicians. . .

You can do a search at that website for additional articles.

1eyejack

Re: Military Leave

We have the right to choose which union we want .The nrlb posted it at the ups center, I have chosen to support the APWA instead of the teamster and they threw me out ,of the union. Now i'm at full force and really waiting on the President of the APWA To give us orders to follow through with the rest of wht we have to do to get a vote for R Ups people .... R local ba and ss .Can kiss R butts ...I'm happy that local 804 got wht they deserve they have ba an ss behind them ..Not like local 769 they are a bunch of wet little pusillanimous cats that lick the back end of Ups...
UPSMIL,

This exerpt is from the UPS Pressroom website:

ATLANTA, July 4, 2004 . . . Every employee who has served on active duty and returned to work will receive a plaque from the company. UPS currently has nearly 400 employees still on active duty out of a total of more than 4,000 reservists among its U.S. employee base of 317,000.

When employees are called to active duty, UPS provides additional benefits that go beyond what most companies offer. For up to 12 months, UPS makes up any difference between the UPS salary and military pay and continues the employee’s life insurance. The company also continues health-care coverage for the employee’s family, ensuring that loved ones can rely on their same family physicians. . .

You can do a search at that website for additional articles.

sukari

New contract, new and altered medical plans.

The medical plans seem to be a step back in coverage for GLBT UPS employees. The HRC (Human Right's Campaign) recently rated UPS as 100% on their Corporate Equality Index. This is no longer the case with the new contract, the score is going to lower because of the coverages offered with the new contracts.