2018 Contract leaks

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If Amazon were to buy and run a major shipping company, they would have a hard time of it. They would essentially be in the business of supporting Amazon's competitors. And for that matter, Amazon's competitors would probably discontinue use of that company for shipping, because they would be giving Amazon valuable data on their own business: number and type of packages, major routes, seasonality of their business, etc. Amazon could use all of that data to compete much more effectively against them.

If Amazon were to buy and run a major shipping company, they would have a hard time of it. They would essentially be in the business of supporting Amazon's competitors. And for that matter, Amazon's competitors would probably discontinue use of that company for shipping, because they would be giving Amazon valuable data on their own business: number and type of packages, major routes, seasonality of their business, etc. Amazon could use all of that data to compete much more effectively against them.
Not if they offered bargain basement shipping prices.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't think you understand how a lockout works.

How many months for a vote to decertify?

I have many friends who went through this with an old employer of mine. The owner told them straight up he was making a lot of money but not the amount of money he thought he deserved. His plan was to cut healthcare for retiree's and the union went on strike. They hired scabs, waited 12 or 18 months and voted out the UAW. This was easier because much of their work could be outsourced and it was only 250 employees.

A company the size and scope of UPS seems like it would be impossible to go through all of those steps, especially with shareholders to answer to.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Do they have to wait a certain amount of time to file the petition? I know my old job took 12-18 months for the union to be pushed completely out but that was over 15 years ago.
Do you think with UPS’ history of employee treatment that it would ever happen?

Observer

I think we forget that a lot of companies that we thought would never fail did. Think back to Roadway Express. Eventually Jeff Bezos will get too greedy and it will hurt Amazon. I'm thinking it probably will be some lawsuit having to do with the shipping of Pharmaceuticals. Or that deal where the Amazon delivery person opens the door to place the box inside your house. They illustrated on NBC news how someone can circumvent the camera somehow and can be rummaging through your house - while the camera your're looking at just shows your foyer. It was pretty creepy to watch.

What I don't understand is why UPS hourlys are not filing against supervisors working just prior to Christmas - why not- isn't that against the contract?