2018 Contract leaks

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
There are more important issues.

I want to get home and have dinner with my family

Equates to.... "I a willing to be a company punk, paying $400+ a week for insurance."

I understand the sentiment.

But, some whinny little bitches.... aren't going to get their way....

to the detriment of the members. (as a whole)

If you can't handle working @ UPS....

Find another Union job, with the same amount of benefits.
Kind of like the beard issue then. I get it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There are more important issues.

I want to get home and have dinner with my family

Equates to.... "I a willing to be a company punk, paying $400+ a week for insurance."

I understand the sentiment.

But, some whinny little bitches.... aren't going to get their way....

to the detriment of the members. (as a whole)

If you can't handle working @ UPS....

Find another Union job, with the same amount of benefits.
Kind of like the beard issue then. I get it.
I kind of thought of it that way on the surface, at first....

...but now, I see it as the reciprocal complement to the "9.5 opt-in list".

We all continually read -Bug-, as he goads drivers as to whether or not they have enacted their rights under 9.5, so why would asking for this "nuance" be equated as making us "whinny little bitches"?

I have watched those who have "opted in" here, have their start times pushed back in order to satisfy pickup logs, while their airs are given to air drivers, in order to keep them under 9.5.
We were able through subsequent, aggressive grievance filings to beat back these delayed start times.

In the end though, this proposal could take that option off the table for the Company, while improving the job for the entire workgroup, while on the "9.5 opt-in list" or not.

With all of that in mind, it's hardly parallel to the beard issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
With all of that in mind, it's hardly parallel to the beard issue.

I believe it is.

Just as it would be, to have language in the contract saying uniforms shall be brown.

There are issues that fall completely under the companies discretion that aren't

contractual issues. Just the same as an issue regarding attendance. Do you want

every little thing in writing ? I don't. That leaves for no room for error.

Granted, it seems harsh for me to say I don't agree that earlier start times

should be a contractual issue. But, if the company wants orange uniforms and doesn't

mind having NDA delivered late everyday that's their choice.... insofar as it

relates to them having the ability to run their business as they see fit.

-Bug-

Years ago, there was a division manager that was famous for saying;

"We don't need your help, thoughts, or suggestions. WE RUN THE BUSINESS."

If they want to run it into the ground.... that's their prerogative.

MostHelpNeeded

should be a contractual issue.

I always hear how we have unions to thank for 40 hour work weeks, weekends off, overtime, etc.

You ever stop and think that maybe quality of life should be our generations fight? Maybe we should be try gaining a little ground instead of always conceding or going for the status quo...because that's 'the way of the world'? Perhaps we should try leading by example.

Put another way, there is not a reason in hell I nor anyone else should be delivering cardboard at 10:30 at night. I've heard countless times that this will never be a 9-5 job. Fine, I agree. How about 8-6? Think outside the box a little. It's completely feasible. Start us at 8, if preloads not wrapped by the start time, send the loaders home and have the drivers finish. They already do that anyway, so that's a non issue. If management doesn't like paying us to load, then there's their incentive to get wrapped earlier. Stop with the damn add cutts everyday and leave the routes alone.

I signed a bid with a start time 50 minutes earlier then I'm currently starting. Why is that allowed?

I'm sorry but this....

"I want to get home and have dinner with my family

...Is one of the most asinine things I have ever read on here. Just because we want a life outside of work does not equate to that line of BS.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
The issue I have with my beard is the color . When I got married a hundred years ago it was blonde , now its gray . I don't know why I was thinking it would be the same color after 30 years of shaving and Brown Giant pressure .
Yeah , I think they should let you grow beards , it will be one thing less that will shock you when you retire .

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

We have language that states we are entitled to five consecutive working days. So unless someone doesn't have a backbone they always get 2 days off in a row here.

Well here it takes six weeks to get your job after they fire your ass and they will. Be thankful you have a strong local that really backs there members!!

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

We have the same language they are just saying it's emergency conditions!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe it is.

Just as it would be, to have language in the contract saying uniforms shall be brown.
Look, I realize that it is a pipe dream, but also see it as a viable "proposal" to bring to the table, much in the same vein that a curfew would be, or any other purposed changes to the National 9.5 or hours of service Supplemental language.
There are issues that fall completely under the companies discretion that aren't

They aren't contractual issues, until they are?

As far as whether I want "every little thing in writing"....???

....I think I would like to see more things like these in writing, as I bare witness to the Company profiting from these ambiguities at a far greater rate than the Union.

UPS has mastered the art of exploiting incomplete language and is routinely making a mockery of us when these issues aren't spelled out in plain and precise English, and in some instances when they are.

When it isn't spelled out here, we get panel decisions with verbiage like:

....in this instant case only, based on the facts presented, no precedence set, or this decision cannot be referenced....

should be a contractual issue. But, if the company wants orange uniforms and doesn't

I disagree with all of that, as a collective bargaining agreement is the Union negotiating with the Company on how they will "RUN THE BUSINESS".

I find it surprising how cavalier you are in accepting this DM's rhetoric?
As "partners" in the business, how can we accept it as "their prerogative to run it into the ground"?

~Bbbl~™

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

That must have been after July 31, 1997 because prior to that "we" were a team and partners in the business.

Now, the dispatcher gets told that a driver is going to have missed businesses and his response is "Ok" knowing the driver is right but the company wants to fire another driver for having missed pcs on a blind route where the loser pds add/cut the commercial stops to the end of the manifest (stop 130+) and the driver got there after closing.

The driver gets the blow back from the customers the next day while the pds hides in his warm office finding a way to embarrass "the Brand" the next day.
Go team. We are the competition's best advertising, filthy trucks et al.
SMH

Dr.Brownz

I believe it is.

-Bug-

It's better to have everything written in stone because if not management can treat different people however they want and they can change the rules to benefit themselves at a whim.

35years

Gravy route
should be a contractual issue. But, if the company wants orange uniforms and doesn't mind having NDA delivered late everyday that's their choice.... insofar as it
-Bug-
But it already is a contractual issue. Article 12 section 4 of the Central Supplement.
Since UPS is pushing the start times back over an hour in some places, why would this not be a matter of concern? It would be a free concession on labor's part not to fight pushing start times back over an hour.

You may not think it is important but I assure you the drivers do.

F

Frankie's Friend

Look, I realize that it is a pipe dream, but also see it as a viable "proposal" to bring to the table, much in the same vein that a curfew would be, or any other purposed changes to the National 9.5 or hours of service Supplemental language.

They aren't contractual issues, until they are?

As far as whether I want "every little thing in writing"....???

....I think I would like to see more things like these in writing, as I bare witness to the Company profiting from these ambiguities at a far greater rate than the Union.

UPS has mastered the art of exploiting incomplete language and is routinely making a mockery of us when these issues aren't spelled out in plain and precise English, and in some instances when they are.

When it isn't spelled out here, we get panel decisions with verbiage like:

....in this instant case only, based on the facts presented, no precedence set, or this decision cannot be referenced....

I disagree with all of that, as a collective bargaining agreement is the Union negotiating with the Company on how they will "RUN THE BUSINESS".

I find it surprising how cavalier you are in accepting this DM's rhetoric?

As "partners" in the business, how can we accept it as "their prerogative to run it into the ground"?

~Bbbl~™
I totally agree.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
It's better to have everything written in stone because if not management can treat different people however they want and they can change the rules to benefit themselves at a whim.
We need ambiguous language just as much as they do. Only problem is, UPS does a way better job at exploiting this language. Sad truth.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We need ambiguous language just as much as they do. Only problem is, UPS does a way better job at exploiting this language. Sad truth.
Where is it that you feel ambiguous language benefits us as much as the Company, and why do you think UPS has such an advantage in making it work for them?