22.4 demolished, will they still be able to work the hub as they will be RPCD?

shalang

Management is also talking about layoffs for RPCD as well. Will they all start working the hub or need to take an actual layoff? Anything contractually that allows RPCD to work the hub while on layoff?

Thebrownblob

Management is also talking about layoffs for RPCD as well. Will they all start working the hub or need to take an actual layoff? Anything contractually that allows RPCD to work the hub while on layoff?
Yes, regular package car drivers can work in the hub. They will go back to hub, rate. The one benefit 22.4 had was since they were combo. If they were working inside, they could keep their rate, and it might be much higher than whatever their hub rate might’ve been.

shalang

Yes, regular package car drivers can work in the hub. They will go back to hub, rate. The one benefit 22.4 had was since they were combo. If they were working inside, they could keep their rate, and it might be much higher than whatever their hub rate might’ve been.
If thats the case, I forsee even more P/T layoffs. Our building has had 30-40 so far.

GodlikeRage

One exception (in my local). If you drive at least once a week, you’ll retain your driver rate inside the hub. If you don’t drive an entire week you’ll be working at hub rate.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
We have yet to see the written T/A for the New England Supplement. It wont be released until the NMA is tentatively agreed on and we need to vote. I’ve told by two high ranking JC10 e-board members that our new Supplement now has language that all full timers, in New England, if laid off will get there full time rate if they work inside due to layoff.

Thebrownblob

We have yet to see the written T/A for the New England Supplement. It wont be released until the NMA is tentatively agreed on and we need to vote. I’ve told by two high ranking JC10 e-board members that our new Supplement now has language that all full timers, in New England, if laid off will get there full time rate if they work inside due to layoff.
Sounds good, although I haven’t heard anything like that myself. Makes me wonder what will be the point of laying them off?

Cowboy Mac

I wouldn’t worry about that until that actually happens. This is all still up in the air until we have a contract.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Sounds good, although I haven’t heard anything like that myself. Makes me wonder what will be the point of laying them off?
It sounded great to me as well, I agree that unless members are sitting waiting to get 8 hour guarantees the company will be apprehensive to lay off. The downside is the company will be even more reluctant to give full time seniority.

Last edited:

shalang

Can’t wait for the 22.4s who complained initially about being 22.4s now complain that they’re back to making table scraps in the warehouse for four hour a night shifts, at inside rate and no guaranteed eight.
We have that in our building right niw. They're actually complaining that they're working too many hours. On average 10 hours a day. Many are forfeiting their 22.4 rate and NOT driving on Saturdays.

DOK

Thought 22.4’s were guaranteed 8 hours daily in the contract?

PPH_over_9000

Thought 22.4’s were guaranteed 8 hours daily in the contract?

Absolutely. They're also guaranteed a consecutive 8hrs with a specific break between two shifts (I forget the number but something like 2hrs between shifts.)

The way I've seen it play out, though?

At a seemingly random PCM management informs all the 22.4's they are about to be laid off. There will be an opportunity to work inside, but they can only displace [x-amount] of PT workers so only three out of the fourteen 22.4s will have an opportunity to work, and it will be offered based on seniority.

I've spoken to guys and encouraged grievances, but there's a lot of folks that just look at a lay-off as an extra vacation. Then a few of them allow themselves to be put on an on-call status and take work occasionally, whenever the company feels like throwing them a bone.

But :censored2: if those guys don't love the way those bones taste.

shalang

Absolutely. They're also guaranteed a consecutive 8hrs with a specific break between two shifts (I forget the number but something like 2hrs between shifts.)

The way I've seen it play out, though?

At a seemingly random PCM management informs all the 22.4's they are about to be laid off. There will be an opportunity to work inside, but they can only displace [x-amount] of PT workers so only three out of the fourteen 22.4s will have an opportunity to work, and it will be offered based on seniority.

I've spoken to guys and encouraged grievances, but there's a lot of folks that just look at a lay-off as an extra vacation. Then a few of them allow themselves to be put on an on-call status and take work occasionally, whenever the company feels like throwing them a bone.

But :censored2: if those guys don't love the way those bones taste.
Here it is displace the least seniority worker in the sort. All 22.4s have been offered work, many just went on disability.

All these R-days add up and affect these layoffs on top of their retirement.

allahuakbar

She/Her
The union keeps telling the 22.4s on preload they’ll be back to driving august 1st. Can’t wait to see their face’s august 2nd while they’re still doing preload.