22.4 Is Driving Only

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You people act like there are no bubbles, what happens when the next bubble bursts, we are in a big growth period, things are fickle and fragile. Just wait when volume drops, they will work inside. And many centers they will work inside before the bubble busts. Who is loading and parking trucks on weekends also?
We are already doing M-friend and T-S here. Our jobs were all re-configured when our hub went Saturdays, to M-friend and T-S, so there are 22.3 (I am one) parking trucks and preloading.

Thanks to the Teamsters, we also have 22.3 jobs that are hub/hub preload/preload, which is NO DIFFERENT than 22.4 working all driving hours for less pay. Any hub/hub or preload/preload job should automatically be top driver rate (22.2) This was established years ago and it's a slippery slope. A very big sell-out by our union.

Mooseknuckle

You people act like there are no bubbles, what happens when the next bubble bursts, we are in a big growth period, things are fickle and fragile. Just wait when volume drops, they will work inside. And many centers they will work inside before the bubble busts. Who is loading and parking trucks on weekends also?
And in those bubbles brick and mortar stores will be closing and opting for cheaper online markets as they are now without a decline. It was the aftermath of 2008 that started the Trim the fat phase of business and the online sales growth. I'd worry more about competition.

Mooseknuckle

We are already doing M-friend and T-S here. Our jobs were all re-configured when our hub went Saturdays, to M-friend and T-S, so there are 22.3 (I am one) parking trucks and preloading.

Thanks to the Teamsters, we also have 22.3 jobs that are hub/hub preload/preload, which is NO DIFFERENT than 22.4 working all driving hours for less pay. Any hub/hub or preload/preload job should automatically be top driver rate (22.2) This was established years ago and it's a slippery slope. A very big sell-out by our union.
And unfortunately stands to get worse.

Time for change

And in those bubbles brick and mortar stores will be closing and opting for cheaper online markets as they are now without a decline. It was the aftermath of 2008 that started the Trim the fat phase of business and the online sales growth. I'd worry more about competition.
In my area the Great Recession was devasting to UPS, lots of layoffs and no new driver hires at all.

Trailer monkey

Yes, the TA states 22.4s can work inside....buuuut, why in the hell would they use 22.4s for inside work at all? 22.4s used to undercut the RPCD position makes way more sense than paying higher wages to a 22.4 to do inside work. Simply hire a new guy at $13/hr to do that work.

Now if the 22.4 language had something guaranteeing a 22.4 will do 4 hours inside, then 4-6 hours on road, perhaps the pay differential would be justified. But alas, there is no such language, so you can be guaranteed that UPS will exploit the 22.4 position to the fullest! Nothing more than a 2nd class driver....pure BS. No thanks!

It is really annoying that they cannot call it what it is, it is not a combo job. It is a "Grade 2" "Level 2" "Grade B" whatever, Package car job, it is not a combo job. It would help their credibility if the language were honest about it

Last edited:

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yes, the TA states 22.4s can work inside....buuuut, why in the hell would they use 22.4s for inside work at all? 22.4s used to undercut the RPCD position makes way more sense than paying higher wages to a 22.4 to do inside work. Simply hire a new guy at $13/hr to do that work.

Now if the 22.4 language had something guaranteeing a 22.4 will do 4 hours inside, then 4-6 hours on road, perhaps the pay differential would be justified. But alas, there is no such language, so you can be guaranteed that UPS will exploit the 22.4 position to the fullest! Nothing more than a 2nd class driver....pure BS. No thanks!
They will be used where needed. If your building is under staffed for preload. They will be doing preload. Then taking out irregs that won't fit. Then coming to meet drivers who are gonna be out late and taking some resi off them. Of course ups is going to get their monies worth out of them and work them 12 hours everyday.

F

Frankie's Friend

Posting hearsay isn't factual. In some buildings they might only drive. In other buildings that are hurting for part timers they may actually be used like combos.
They gonna change the language that all full time employees start time must be uniform or just schedule them combo or not weekly?
What a cluster.

F

Frankie's Friend

Is the 23.3 progression going to be 4 years if there are any more 22.3 jobs added?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They will be used where needed. If your building is under staffed for preload. They will be doing preload. Then taking out irregs that won't fit. Then coming to meet drivers who are gonna be out late and taking some resi off them. Of course ups is going to get their monies worth out of them and work them 12 hours everyday.
They will never preload. There is a 7$ an hour wage gap between part time and full time.

Mooseknuckle

It is really annoying that they cannot call it what it is, it is not a combo job. It is a "Grade 2" "Level 2" "Grade B" whatever, Package car job, it is not a combo job. It would help their credibility if the language were honest about it
they're trying to sell you on it. They're not gonna call it what it is, no one would vote yes then.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
In my area the Great Recession was devasting to UPS, lots of layoffs and no new driver hires at all.
With a zero-day driver wait list and a part-time seniority list that places you in the middle in less than a year...
They could layoff half the building. A huge portion of their profit margin might of been that they did not need to train anybody in your neck of the woods lol.

CoolStoryBro

A Steward confirmed to me through BA that 22.4 drivers will not be inside at all. They will be used as drivers only. So why the 2 tier pay scale when there will be no difference in job description and Whereas weekends were premium pay days why would we give that up and make lower pay people work weekends?

22.4 duties are determined by your regional and local supplements and riders. Not the NMA. 22.4 will be different everywhere.

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!
A Steward confirmed to me through BA that 22.4 drivers will not be inside at all. They will be used as drivers only. So why the 2 tier pay scale when there will be no difference in job description and Whereas weekends were premium pay days why would we give that up and make lower pay people work weekends?

THEY CLEARLY WANT YOU TO VOTE YES.THIS IS A VOTE NO CONTRACT.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: DONT FALL FOR IT!!!