22.4 ratio question

542thruNthru

Your steward should have been given the RPCD protected number after the contract was ratified. That protected number is 75% of the seniority employees plus any open bid sheets. If you had 98 RPCDs and 2 in progression, your protected number is 75. An RPCD cannot be added until you building drops below that 75 protected number. The 6-1-1 hiring rotation is still recognized within our local, but I understand that is not nationally accepted.
Where did you get 75% from?

Also where does it say a RPCD can not be added until it drops below the protected jobs?

Up In Smoke

Where did you get 75% from?

Also where does it say a RPCD can not be added until it drops below the protected jobs?
22.4 (3) you posted it.

Our local letter of understanding is where we set the hiring processes going forward. We are still allowing part time to RPCD once we reach the protected number.

542thruNthru

22.4 (3) you posted it.

Our local letter of understanding is where we set the hiring processes going forward. We are still allowing part time to RPCD once we reach the protected number.
The protected number is not 75% of the RPCDs. It's the number of driver's that were working a M-friend schedule. That's where I am confused why you're saying that if you had 100 RPCDs only 75 are protected.

JustDeliverIt

Your steward should have been given the RPCD protected number after the contract was ratified. That protected number is 75% of the seniority employees plus any open bid sheets. If you had 98 RPCDs and 2 in progression, your protected number is 75. An RPCD cannot be added until you building drops below that 75 protected number. The 6-1-1 hiring rotation is still recognized within our local, but I understand that is not nationally accepted.

I'm with @542 on this. If you have 100 RPCD's, then your protected number is 100. They can hire 33 22.4's. To hire the 34th 22.4 they would have to hire another 3 RPCD's to keep the 25% ratio. This is how our building has been doing it.

Last edited:

Up In Smoke

I'm with @542 on this. If you have 100 RPCD's, then your protected number is 100. They can hire 33 22.4's. To hire the 34th 22.4 they would have to hire another 3 RPCD's to keep the 25% ratio. This is how our building has been doing it.
Here's our situation, maybe it will make more sense. The day the contract was ratified we had 172 seniority RPCDs. We also had 6 open bids, some working and some waiting for a class to open up. The state labor manager and BA agreed that 178 was our base number of RPCDs. Based on 178 our protected number is 134, meaning as RPCDs retire or transfer the company will fill openings with 22.4s until we reach 134 RPCDs. Once that number is reached a bid sheet will be hung to replace number 134. Once those numbers have been met (134 RPCDs and 44- 22.4) and the hiring continues, RPCDs will be added at a 4 to 1 ratio. Clear as mud??

542thruNthru

Here's our situation, maybe it will make more sense. The day the contract was ratified we had 172 seniority RPCDs. We also had 6 open bids, some working and some waiting for a class to open up. The state labor manager and BA agreed that 178 was our base number of RPCDs. Based on 178 our protected number is 134, meaning as RPCDs retire or transfer the company will fill openings with 22.4s until we reach 134 RPCDs. Once that number is reached a bid sheet will be hung to replace number 134. Once those numbers have been met (134 RPCDs and 44- 22.4) and the hiring continues, RPCDs will be added at a 4 to 1 ratio. Clear as mud??
Were 44 of those 178 RPCD T-S driver's? If not than it sounds like your BA screwed you guys. Every M-friend RPCD as of Aug 1st 2018 should have been a protected position.

JustDeliverIt

Here, I believe the number was 156 at the time of ratification. So we have 156 protected positions and have been hiring additional drivers into 22.4 positions. Theoretically, 22.4's are hub/driver hybrid positions. Still need all your RPCD's. We hired enough 22.4's to get to 25% but still have 156 protected RPCD positions.

Up In Smoke

Were 44 of those 178 RPCD T-S driver's? If not than it sounds like your BA screwed you guys. Every M-friend RPCD as of Aug 1st 2018 should have been a protected position.
Prior to ratification we had 30ish RPCDs that were hired for the t-s schedule. The contract gave the company 18 months to place all t-s employees on the m-friend schedule. So, as we hired for retirees after ratification, the 22.4s became t-s and replaced an RPCD who moved to m-friend. Once 44 22.4 have been hired, bid sheets will be hung for a RPCD position and the hiring will continue and the 25% ratio will be maintained. My thought was that we got shafted, but my thoughts do count for much apparently. I asked about 10 questions during contract negotiations, but was silenced and told we would clear it up once the contract was settled. Best contract ever!!