22.4- what’s the word in your hub?

Robretro

I’m not excited about my future at UPS. 22.4, working preload then driving and working weekends forever. For always less pay.

Is it worth it? Drivers rarely retire here.

What does it look like at your hub? Feels bleak here.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
All the dinosaurs hanging on, we rarely get a retirement as well.

I have a friend who signed up for 22.4. Qualifying now. He seems to be happy so far.

Don’t kill yourself! I suggest you develop an extremely “safe” speed from day 1 and never cut corners or run just study the methods and get a good routine. When they ask why you’re taking so long or anything just say “I am using the methods. Working as quickly and safely as possible.” Good luck man

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I’m not excited about my future at UPS. 22.4, working preload then driving and working weekends forever. For always less pay.

Is it worth it? Drivers rarely retire here.

What does it look like at your hub? Feels bleak here.
22.4 will not be a "forever" job, unless you like it. As you build tenure, you'll be able to bid other jobs/classif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What do you mean? I thought 22.4s were just a cheaper covee driver doubt you will ever be working preload then driving.

They all think they’re going to be working part of the day inside the building

UPS isn’t going to pay them driver wages to sort packages unless nobody else is available

They will be doing long days delivering junk routes

542thruNthru

They all think they’re going to be working part of the day inside the building

UPS isn’t going to pay them driver wages to sort packages unless nobody else is available

They will be doing long days delivering junk routes

It was funny. All the high seniority PT inside guys thought they would be come a 22.4 and only do pick ups, run misloads and help the occasional driver. As soon as I told them that's not what it was they were pissed.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Same in our building. High hopes of it basically being a combo gig but everyone is mistaking. Doubtful still think its cheaper to give preloaders there 6th punch of paying 22.4s 30 bucks a hour.

Robretro

Thats exactly what we are doing here, they can’t find enough people to stay on preload. Back breaking preload followed by back breaking junk routes

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Could be fun for a few years if the deal involves loading your own GD car.

Similar to how a backbreaking bulk run can be fun when you only make 20 stops.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I haven’t seen any combo 22.4 drivers but I have been seeing a lot of combo 22.4 supervisors...they load trucks , harass pre-loaders, wear polos, and steal union work.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Here drivers have been starting as early as 6AM since Christmas. We have huge turnover in the pre-load and top scale drivers at time and a half seem to be the only option up till now. Like the rest of you, we too are incredibly curious of how 22.4’s will be used.

I do believe that a portion of them will be split shifting between pre-load/drivers and drivers/unload.

Financially it doesn’t make sense to pay employees a premium of time and a half when you have access to a workforce that can be worked at straight time.

WTFm8

22.4s should be used as blown-out bulk/irreg/over70 teams to keep that stuff off ‘normal’ routes, then perform ‘sweeps’ at UPS and commercial stores to take load off the route drivers. Pick up missloads at common drop points and just deliver them instead of shuttling to the driver.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
22.4s should be used as blown-out bulk/irreg/over70 teams to keep that stuff off ‘normal’ routes, then perform ‘sweeps’ at UPS and commercial stores to take load off the route drivers. Pick up missloads at common drop points and just deliver them instead of shuttling to the driver.
That's ideal. No pulling routes unless EVERY RPCD has been exhausted. For peak all bets are off; there's plenty for everybody to do, give them peak routes for all I care.
Other than that, if they have the "bit**" job then they can do the bit** work that nobody wants to do. Run misloads (actually run them not just give to driver), take pickups, pull air in, etc. etc.

Staydryitsraining

We just promoted over 15 pters to ft. All of those work preload and only drive on Saturdays. We run ground on Saturday but I highly doubt we hire any 22.4s any time soon. Our BA said though it isnt a combo job, you will drive T-S or W-S but will probably only drive on the weekends because no 22.4s can go on road unless every ftd is working. 22.4s are ree circled at tcd rate go through progression and if they bid into a ftd spot they dont have to go through progression again they automatically start getting top rate.