401K money

jasar13

while I'm no professional, I do consider myself a seasoned "investor", and let me tell you right off the bat that investing for retirement is abt. as individual a "sport" there is, that being said our plan is currently offering what I PERSONALLY consider as gifts, and should be taken advantage of by anyone who has 3 or more yrs. to INVEST, I'm not interested in debating weather or not these calls are legit, I've done my homework and currently stand behind them w/ my own $$, which is abt. all I can do.....I'm not going to elaborate on the details of these funds either, as were all adults and can decide for ourselves if the funds fit into your portfolio or not....the first being the EAFE fund, it's the 2nd "newest" fund and since it's inception @ $9 and some change, it's currently trading above $13, and does dip below $12 every now and again....it's a good fit because as we all know "being diversified" and "investing globally" are impt. to every portfolio, I have literally no doubt this fund will go well above $30 in my lifetime or in 20 yr. time frame and that is a conservative estimate....... the 2nd and most recent fund is the REIT......stands for Real Estate Investments Trusts......this is being served to us on a platter LITERALLY I would say it's as close to a "sure thing" as you get........ the play here is a bit more complex and while I have only recently got in I'd been in sooner had the EAFE fund not been doing so well, I'm split 60/40 now between them and the only "problem" now is not having more $$ to invest..........say what you will abt. real estate but this is how you make $$ here.... if it goes lower you'll win by being able to accumulate more of it @ a insanely low price, and when / if it goes up your riding the wave up so to speak, If I may be so bold.....I'd only add that you should also own microsoft when it dips below the $30 level.......and that the SMA acct. which opened in 2002 was a freaking god-send........truth be told my friends I wish we would all allow our $$ to work as hard for us as we work for it......MAX YOR 401K NOW REGARDLESS.... want to be a millionaire???? here's the "secret" formula....contribute the max (currently $15,000) for 20 yrs. (assuming your wages and the max also increase)........... earning an avg of a paltry 7% compounded annually ( you can get 5% + @ on-line banks like HSBC or ING) and you'll have your million..............which by then will be worth like $400,00.......but who cares, individual investors, can easily early 17% a yr. most who are serious and invest more time reading the financial pages than playing fantasy football or poker.........do well over 30% a yr. on avg..............
REIT's a sure thing? ....not so sure about that.

If ANY stock, mutual or ETF goes lower it is an opportunity to buy more at discount prices. REIT is not the sure thing you claim.

Individual investors can EASILY average 17%? really?

Seasoned investors averaging 30% a year? not sure where you get info to back this up. If that were the case actively managed mutual fund managers would be making a killing instead of having 3 of 4 underperform the S&P every year.

Channahon said it best....... "I would suggest anyone within 5 years of retirement should find a financial planner. A planner can help you with your questions, make suggestions for your future and manage your stock and bond portfolios if you choose to do so."

Your future is too important to be playing around with.

The one thing i do agree with is your 401k can be a reliable avenue in preparing for retirement years.

Raw

Raw Member
I was waiting for a week like this week and a day like today ( 6/22 ) where the market went down strong. Now for monday 6/25 I will be in 80% of my total 401K with 50% in the sp500 and 50% in the Russell 2000 to catch the rally ( I`ve been in Stable fund most of the year ) . There is support on sp500 at 1502 and magically the sp500 today lost 20 pts to end the day at 1502! It will hit 1502 than bounce , maybe to new highs. Notice I`m posting this before the fact so you can see that you need to follow charts and you can time the market!!:wink:

teamsterdan

I'm not trying to "prove" anything here, only time will prove me right or wrong and I'm confident enough in my skills to manage my own $$ and have been successful in doing so.......funny thing abt. the logic of hiring a planner to do your finances (BTW if you do look for a "fee only" planner; not somebody peddling their own co.'s funds) is that your absolutely right "Your future is too important to be playing around with" so WTF would you entrust a stranger you meet to do it for you?????? I give props to the pro's they are capable of managing a multitude of folio's for a lot of different people in different situations, I only need to concern myself w/myself, and via technology and the web "we" have virtually the same info as the pros, believe me I'm not a day trader, I'm an investor....in it for the long haul, again I can only cite my personal experience........as far as the #'s the 17% - 30% gains...... read any of the $$$ rags, money, individual investor, forbes, I've read it on more than one occasion, I'll try to dig up a specific reference on the next rainy day.......successful investing requires discipline and sacrifice, and most aren't willing to do it.....BTW if my "broker" is so smart WTF do they still work??????????

area43

Update, Raw I dont have the figs for 6/22, but the 401k on 6/21 has the lead horse being the 400 at 13 %, the second horse EAFE is at 10 and the 500 is at 8 rounding off the top 3. Ill ride that 400(like a rich mans daughter) then kick her to the curb if she quits puttin out. Then lets just say if the EAFE passes the 400 then Ill wait a week or two and if she holds the lead I dump all my goodies in that. I ll just keep riding the coat tails of the highest fund. Becareful with the EAFE they have a 2 % penalty on your earnings(not the balance). I found that out earlier in the year when I left her for the 400. It was a measely 35 bucks, peanuts compared to what I made off her. Remember folks you have to risk big to win big. ( ;

Raw

Raw Member
Update, Raw I dont have the figs for 6/22, but the 401k on 6/21 has the lead horse being the 400 at 13 %, the second horse EAFE is at 10 and the 500 is at 8 rounding off the top 3. Ill ride that 400(like a rich mans daughter) then kick her to the curb if she quits puttin out. Then lets just say if the EAFE passes the 400 then Ill wait a week or two and if she holds the lead I dump all my goodies in that. I ll just keep riding the coat tails of the highest fund. Becareful with the EAFE they have a 2 % penalty on your earnings(not the balance). I found that out earlier in the year when I left her for the 400. It was a measely 35 bucks, peanuts compared to what I made off her. Remember folks you have to risk big to win big. ( ;
The trick is to pick the fund before it takes the lead, once it`s leading its old news and too late to get in.Your picking the horse after the race! You want to buy the " uglys ", the funds/stocks that nobody wants cuz they look so bad. I had to wait for an ugly week before I got back in the risky funds.

psyclone

SSGA REIT did extremely well in the past, but has been bleeding profusely this year. MarketWatch put the sell tag on the fund today, citing that it is "not only doing poorly against the regular market, it is doing poorly against its peers". Add in the fact that the expenses far exceed most of our other options in that risk category, and I decided to cut my losses with REIT.

area43

The trick is to pick the fund before it takes the lead, once it`s leading its old news and too late to get in.Your picking the horse after the race! You want to buy the " uglys ", the funds/stocks that nobody wants cuz they look so bad. I had to wait for an ugly week before I got back in the risky funds.
Dude! Raw dont tell Im being doing it all wrong?LOLThat would be great, picking the horse before it takes the lead, buy low and ride out it high. Im still trying to work out all the kinks. lol good luck. Thanks for the insider tip. LOL ps I watched that movie Wall Street,with Charlie Sheen theres alot good tips in there,lol

Last edited:

Raw

Raw Member
Dude! Raw dont tell Im being doing it all wrong?LOLThat would be great, picking the horse before it takes the lead, buy low and ride out it high. Im still trying to work out all the kinks. lol good luck. Thanks for the insider tip. LOL ps I watched that movie Wall Street,with Charlie Sheen theres alot good tips in there,lol
LOL!! :lol: I tried giving you rep for this but it said I must spread said rep around before giving it to you again!!!

area43

LOL!! :lol: I tried giving you rep for this but it said I must spread said rep around before giving it to you again!!!
Dude! Raw dont worry I take rain checks.lol I understand, its tuff living from rep check to rep check. thanks and take care. a43(bingo)

helenofcalifornia

Update: Only lost $1000 in the last stock market drop. Last time I lost $5000. Stable fund way to go to cut losses. Only wish when you switch funds it was immediate and not until the end of the next business day. OK, back to the good natured ribbing and joking. But it is very interesting to hear all the different way people take care of their 401K monies. For some, this will be a major part of their retirement. Financial planning for the UPSer would be a great topic by itself. Thanks everyone!

helenofcalifornia

I am kinda scared of self-managed. Unless you really know the stock market, I find the choices UPS gives us as adequate. But hey, don't we all wish we had invested $10,000 in United Airlines when it was selling for $1. (Now selling for $35!) I wish I had more time to look into stock investing. Any ideas on good web sites to look at?

area43

I am kinda scared of self-managed. Unless you really know the stock market, I find the choices UPS gives us as adequate. But hey, don't we all wish we had invested $10,000 in United Airlines when it was selling for $1. (Now selling for $35!) I wish I had more time to look into stock investing. Any ideas on good web sites to look at?
Helen, all my joking aside, In my first post it list my honest earnings so far for this year. Raw has alot of good tips,but in my case I believe knowing to much at times can be a hinderance. I ve always kept dumping my balance and weekly allocations into the highest fund. Beginning of 07 I had a balance of 98,000 I now have a balance of 116,000(ps I lost a 1000 tooo on 6/22), contributions were 7,500 so far for the year. My earnings were a whopping 10,500 and were only half way through the year. Fingers cross. I always like knowing I have my money in the highest fun. What I do might not be looked upon from wall street experts as playing the game correctly. But hey, My earnings speak for themselves. Those are my honest numbers. ps. I always enjoy speaking to people that are from California. I was born and raised there. ( : take care and good luck a43