401k returns

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
even though i had no contributions last year ( retired ) my 401k went up quite a bit more than I ever made in one year at UPS. the last 5-6 years I made over 100k as a feeder driver

it's the "miracle" of compound interest

MattM

Russell was struggling a bit early a year or two back.. It doesn't hurt to change allocations often.

I set it and forgot it and was down 20% in 2018.

401k is no guranteees either

It doesn't hurt to transfer funds or allocation %. They say they have the right to prohibit trading that happens too often. So just be cautioned.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If it's not at least a 3,000 point drop don't wake me. I want to see a bloodbath, full on panic, people running for the exits.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
what is your age? you're all in on equities and have no bonds.

we have about 60% stocks, 10% precious metals , and 30 % bonds. but we are in our 60's so need to cut down some risk. this is just in the 401k which accounts for about only 30% of our total portfolio.

also have some IRA's , real estate , and cash. for the rest.

i'm 40. yea no bonds. i'm not sure I buy the bonds gospel. i certainly don't follow the recommended schedule i think it's way too conservative, i mean even at retirement age my time horizon is fifteen years or more. i think it's better to hedge in other ways, like only taking RMDs (or the equivalent in the case of roth) and reducing expenses. I also have IRAs and retail accounts.