401k returns

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just go to mostly bonds. The bright horizon have high fees.

do you plan on using your 401k right when you retire?
Even in retirement you should never get completely out of stocks. I'm fixin to retire in about 3 months and I reallocated to 60/40 stocks/bonds and that's where I plan to leave it. I would never advise anyone to go below 40% in stocks especially if they plan on a long retirement, you need those returns to keep ahead of inflation.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
From the mid January's high to yesterday, I'm only down $39,000 which is just a minor amount. And since retiring 5 yrs ago , I have withdrawn at least $20K yearly to have some fun. I lived a simple lifestyle while working and now that I have more free time that life is over.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
been retired almost 5 years and still haven't touched the 401k or other retirement accounts and do not plan to until we have to at age 701/2.

the pension is enough for all the bills and the social security is all gravy. so we will keep growing the 401k for the next 5 years and then just take the RMD after that.

been retired almost 5 years and still haven't touched the 401k or other retirement accounts and do not plan to until we have to at age 701/2.

the pension is enough for all the bills and the social security is all gravy. so we will keep growing the 401k for the next 5 years and then just take the RMD after that.
You don't have to take it out until 72 now.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Big spender!
Actually after the ten dollar fee and the .251 in taxes, 20K is less than 15K. It makes for a larger tax refund check ever year. This year I upgraded my boat with the money. Had someone else do all the gritty work and install a speed propeller, so that once the weather is good I can just drop it in.

Actually after the ten dollar fee and the .251 in taxes, 20K is less than 15K. It makes for a larger tax refund check ever year. This year I upgraded my boat with the money. Had someone else do all the gritty work and install a speed propeller, so that once the weather is good I can just drop it in.
Why don't you roll your 401k over?

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Too young for taking my FRA. Still have to wait until late 2021.

oldngray

nowhere special
Tell him how low your Vanguard fees are. Plus you aren't limited to a few index funds, plus no fees on buying and sell stocks.

I don't have everything in Vanguard. A lot is though. My IRA is through my bank. Low costs and extra perks. I can still buy any Vanguard funds very cheaply.

the Bright Horizon funds in the 401k mostly suck.

Package Stick

"Send it."
"The Fed lowered its target rate range by half a percentage point, to 1.00% and 1.25%. It said “the fundamentals of the U.S. economy remain strong. However, the coronavirus poses evolving risks to economic activity.” All members of the FOMC were on board with the easing."

The economy is strong yet they cut rates? If the economy slows down just a little bit this is how hyperinflation starts. The Fed doesn't even know if the economy has slowed/is slowing and they cut interest rates (they know).

The Federal Reserve has been doing this thing called repo and reverse repo. Not to mention the 21% corporate tax rate. All of this :censored2: just fuels buybacks/dividend increases.

Repo and Reverse Repo Operations - Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Can't wait for Q1 numbers and guidance from companies. The market wants 0% rates, and with Trump they might get it. Hell, he's on Twitter saying a 50 bps cut isn't enough; "The Federal Reserve is cutting but must further ease and, most importantly, come into line with other countries/competitors. We are not playing on a level field. Not fair to USA. It is finally time for the Federal Reserve to LEAD. More easing and cutting!"

This is a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

The Driver

I drive.
"The Fed lowered its target rate range by half a percentage point, to 1.00% and 1.25%. It said “the fundamentals of the U.S. economy remain strong. However, the coronavirus poses evolving risks to economic activity.” All members of the FOMC were on board with the easing."

The economy is strong yet they cut rates? If the economy slows down just a little bit this is how hyperinflation starts. The Fed doesn't even know if the economy has slowed/is slowing and they cut interest rates (they know).

I've been swinging from worries of deflation to worries to inflation to worries of stagflation. I have no idea where this is going to go, it's kind of exciting.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The people this hurts are the ones who try to time the market. or the very old who don't have the time for the market to recover if the world falls into a recession.

32F51341-D258-4C90-BE96-22F75135951B.gif